Has anyone seen a psychic and were you convinced?

(25 Posts)
MummyDoIt Wed 18-Jun-08 10:33:36

I am something of a sceptic. I'm an atheist, don't believe in any form of afterlife, etc. However, since my Dad died in November, I've found it hard to accept that he simply does not exist any more. My sister went to see a psychic at the weekend. While she admits that much of what was said could have been lucky guesses and skillful extracting of information, one or two things the psychic said were spot on and could not have been guessed. For example, she said "tell your mum that your dad is humming 'somewhere over the rainbow'". This meant nothing to my sister but, when she told mum, apparently it was their tune and dad would play it to her on the piano. The other thing she got right was saying how many brothers and sisters she had but also adding there was another brother in the spirit world. My sister was a bit puzzled by this until she added 'one of you should have been a twin'. That's spot on. My youngest sister was one of twins but my mum miscarried one. These two things have slightly shaken my scepticism and I was wondering if other people have any similar experiences.

DumbledoresGirl Wed 18-Jun-08 10:35:46

How many things did she get wrong though? That is the question I always wonder about, having watched that psychic programme on tv (can't think what it is called). You see him getting things right, but rarely do they show what he got wrong...

mrsruffallo Wed 18-Jun-08 10:38:23

I think that there are genuine psychics but an awful lot of fakes, too.
The genuine ones are fewer but def exist ime

MummyDoIt Wed 18-Jun-08 10:40:36

DG, she said my sister was looking forward to a holiday which isn't true. That raised doubts in my mind as most people at this time of year would be looking forward to a holiday. She also asked 'how is your dad'. My sister said it was asked as if the psychic knew dad was dead but just wanted confirmation but that doesn't make sense to me. Surely a psychic knows for sure which 'side' someone is on?

MummyDoIt Wed 18-Jun-08 14:31:38

Bumping for the afternoon crowd

Grrlscout Fri 20-Jun-08 22:26:13

I've seen three psychics. One was rubbish, one was OK, and one was very, very good.

The rubbish one came up with classic cold-reading sorts of leading questions and pat answers. Absolute waste of time.

The OK one was OK. Nothing really earthshattering, but not absolutely wrong or obvious as the rubbish one. I didn't feel cheated, but I didn't feel enlightened.

The very good one, though, was like a laser beam. He didn't ask leading questions or for confirmation. He just came up with things you really couldn't know from my appearance or any other sort of clue. 10 minutes after meeting me, he started talking about my gay brother who lived on the other side of the country and about some aspects of the overseas move he saw for me, described how and when my fiance would propose... it went on and on. Just stuff that really can't be explained by any kind of cold-reading or even by guesswork. And it was all true.

My best friend saw this same psychic and has a similar experience with him. Sometimes, he has an off night. He's either truly psychic or he's been stalking me and my best friend. hmm

allgonebellyup Sat 21-Jun-08 09:53:35

Grrlscout - give me the name of this psychic? i would love to see him.

myermay Sat 21-Jun-08 20:56:06

i have seen one women twice who was fantasitc. I said barely a thing adn she knew so much about my late grandmother and things that noone else could possibly know.

I would happily give you her details, what area are you from ?

Buda Sat 21-Jun-08 21:11:59

I saw one once a few years ago. A lot of the stuff was sort of right but fairly general.

However during the reading she mentioned a male by name - it was someone I had worked with and sort of gone out with when I was 20/21. He had died a few years previously. Afterwards she asked did I have any questions and I asked about this guy - she knew all sorts that were particular to my relationship with him. We had worked in a hotel and she had seen a large wall of keys, she saw us running for a train that I never got on - he used to go home for the weekend and was always late and we would run for the train but I never went with him.

She asked me afterwards how he had died as she felt it was strange and like an accident but not an accident - it seemed to make her very tired. He had died of Aids and when I told her she said that she thought so as she had had only had one experience like that before.

What I respected about here was that she said that I should give it a few years before coming back as it is not good to depend on people like her to live your life.

Dior Sat 21-Jun-08 21:14:12

Message withdrawn

cheeryface Sat 21-Jun-08 21:33:25

i would love to see one, but want to have one that is recommended (i live near manchester)
i have been to a lady who used the tarot cards.
first time she told me that i would leave dp, get with a dark haired man that had known me and dp for a few years and have a daughter with him.
i went back to her about 18months later and she told me i would always be with dp, he would stick with me no matter what and by the summer i would be pregnant with a third child, a daughter, which would be a failure of contraception.

i am still with dp, but thankfully no pregnancy.
must have been cock and bull though, as the two conflict don't they.

Dalrymps Sat 21-Jun-08 21:40:59

Anyone know any good ones near Newcastle, I once saw one but she told me aload of rubbish that never came true...

Grrlscout Sat 05-Jul-08 09:56:13

Sorry for the response lag, Myermay - I've been travelling and neglecting Mumsnet. The psychic is in Los Angeles. If you're over on holiday, I'd definitely recommend a visit. His name is Mike Muratore, and though he does mostly private readings, you can get hold of him through the Imagine Center in Encino.

He's from New Jersey and has a healthy New Joisey accent, so sometimes in the session you feel like you're having a read from an extra from the Sopranos. grin

Uniquel Thu 18-Feb-16 04:04:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

marriedlady Fri 11-Mar-16 09:56:23

knackers323 Fri 01-Apr-16 11:15:41

Old thread but anyone else had good experience?

venuspschic Sat 23-Jul-16 17:57:15

Simmi1 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:21:53

I'm interested too. Going through a tough time at the moment and am tempted to see a psychic

Kione Sun 28-Aug-16 11:23:01

I never believed in anything like that, but like you, I lost my mum when I was 26 and would do anything to "feel" or be with her somehow.
So after friends advice I've been to Tarot reader, which was so off track I nearly got up and left early, and a psychic, another friend was blown away by it, and for me it was so wrong it was embarrassing. Both are localy "reputable".
That's me, not wasting any more money.
BUT if you have the money I wouldn't say don't go. Maybe it is something you need to get out of the system.

NigellasGuest Sun 28-Aug-16 11:37:35

I've seen some psychics, but not for years and years. Most were utter charlatans.The ones that were good didn't actually tell me anything of any actual use.
e.g. the one who said, your name beginnings with this letter, and has x number of letters in it. Spot on - and NO she hadn't found out my name in advance from someone - but, what's the use of that? I don't need to be told my own name.

Simmi1 Mon 29-Aug-16 03:46:17

I had a reading 5 yrs ago which was very accurate. She predicted when I would meet my DH, his age, occupation etc. she also said my exDP would contact me on the date which is my birthday - which he did. There's no way she could have known that. She also got lots of other stuff right. I kept going back to her but the readings became less and less accurate. I've tried other psychics but none have really said anything right.

Cloudspider Tue 27-Sep-16 09:48:05

Im a curious atheist and saw a medium at a friends house. I had no intention of seeing him and had just popped round for a drink. He said he needed to see me as had a lady waiting .When I went in the guy said hello take a seat then started talking to the floor come one everyone sit down etc. I was hmm he then said I had brought all of my animals and went on to describe Guinea pigs, rabbits, rats and my two dogs. All in detail appearance and personality. He told me I had a small dog on my knee and described my best friends dog perfectly and knew she was new to the spirit world. Every detail was correct. He told me animals were pure love.
The lady was an elderly aunt who died when I was 12. I used to visit every evening after school to tell her about my day and chat. She had stomach cancer and suffered greatly in her last few months. Medium man told me all of this and recounted part of a particular funny conversation we had. The message was a thank you for helping me go over to the other side and that my gran was with her and they both sent love. Medium man said I was ill when my aunt died as she used some of my energy to help her pass over again this was true.
I was a bit blow away and it took a good few days to process I now have many other questions.

Joan555 Mon 03-Oct-16 22:55:22

BigFatBollocks Wed 30-Nov-16 19:22:05

This is an old thread but I've had two come up to me in the street and they knew stuff (specifically about my dad who had passed) that they no way could have known. They even passed messages to me from him. The trouble is, we are Catholics, and my dad always made the point not to dabble so I therefore know that although what they told me was true (and I so wanted to believe it, and it has taken a long tine to reach this conclusion, it wasn't from him) . There's no way he'd communicate with me in this way coz he was so against it.
This is from someone who's had ghosts, which the priest got rid of for me, so I know this exists, the question is, who is giving this precise information? You can't trust that it really is your beloved. That's the thing.

Letdownbackthen Thu 01-Dec-16 14:08:28

That terrifies me Big I would love to take comfort from them but I don't. The only thing I find reassuring is derren brown can do this sort of thing and has no special powers so perhaps there's just things about us people pick up on without realising it and they see it as a gift whereas he knows what he's doing when he does it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now