Which of you knows how to say "Praise God" in another language????

(13 Posts)
Smithagain Thu 08-May-08 21:29:08

I'm doing a children's session for Pentecost and we are going to act out the story of the Holy Spirit coming on the disciples at the first Pentecost.

I want a few phrases that the children can shout in different languages - preferably something that means "Praise God" or something similarly Christian.

Any suggestions?

I have "hallelujah" (hebrew), "Deo Gratias" (latin), and, um, that's about it grin

InLoveWithSweenyTodd Fri 09-May-08 11:24:26

Spanish for praise God is "Alabado sea Dios", pronounced "ahlahbahdo seh-ah Dios"

Smithagain Fri 09-May-08 12:59:46

Thanks. That will give them something to get their teeth round!

Any more?

fluffyanimal Fri 09-May-08 13:05:44

In Russian you can say "Slava bogu" (stress on the first syllables) which means literally Glory to God and is often used in the way in which we say "thank God".

Or how about another Latin one: "laudate domino" is actually Praise the Lord (what you have already is Thanks be to God).

Innat Fri 09-May-08 13:16:54

In Amharic (one of the main languages in Ethiopia) people say "Ig-zer-bia Is-till-in" which i think translates as God will provide or God willing...along those lines anyway. The Christians and Muslims both use this term

serenity Fri 09-May-08 13:24:26

Kyrie Eleison in Greek, although it's 'God have mercy' rather than 'Praise God', it serves the same purpose

cornflakegirl Fri 09-May-08 13:39:20

Louez Dieu in French.

Hosanna - not the same literal meaning, but used in the same way..

greenday Fri 09-May-08 13:51:28

Mandarin - 'Gan Xie Zhu'.

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Fri 09-May-08 14:03:51

Buíochas le Dia (b-way-kus leh Dee-ah)
Irish for Thank God.

DutchOma Fri 09-May-08 14:44:34

Loof (as in loaf) (of prijs) de Heer

The ij and ee are difficult to pronounce in English as they are typically Dutch vowels.

Smithagain Fri 09-May-08 16:19:18

That's brilliant. Thanks everyone - just what I needed. Now I just have to persuade the children to shout them out with enthusiasm!

Roseylea Fri 09-May-08 16:46:13

Gott sei Dank in German (thank God)

Aila Fri 09-May-08 20:49:36

subhan'allah = means glory to God in Arabic, used when praising God.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now