anyone else's toddler ever spoken about 'past life' experiences??????

(327 Posts)
noonar Tue 18-Sep-07 13:33:30

now, am not saying (necessarily) that i believe in reincarnation, but i've just had a rather spooky conversation with my 3 yo dd. (just 3)

the gist of it was that she's bored with being 3 and wants to be a teenager again. when i asked her where i was whilst she was busy being a teenager, she said that she had a different mummy then.

the conversation went on, and then she said that she got sick and she died.

as i said earlier, i'm not saying i believe any of this, but it certainly sent a shiver down my spine.

noonar Tue 18-Sep-07 21:00:37

i think that most of what my dd said is down to litlle things she's heard. for eg, she talked about dying and a'fever', which got me spooked.

then i remembered the lyrics to a song on a cd she has... what's that song...you know... it goes 'singing cockles and mussels, alive alive-o'? anyway, the girl in the song died ' of a fever' , didnt she? think my dd was weaving those lyrics into her story!

Rumpel Tue 18-Sep-07 21:03:38

There was documnetary about this a while ago. A little boy who said that he had lived in a white house near the beach in Ireland, and planes used to land on the beach. he was from Glasgow and lived with his Mum and brother. Anyway, they went ot Ireland and found the house (and planes did land on the beach)but they could find no trace of the 'name' he gave them and according to long timers from the area the house had belonged to the same family for a very long time. It was very interesting though.

I also read a fantastic book about a year ago. A woman (living In England) who said that she had past life memory recall of an old house in Ireland and her husband and children. She used to draw this house and surrounding area from a very young age (like a map).

As she got older she began to research her memories in more detail and discovered the place in Ireland. One of her vivid past life memories was being in a hospital bed and seeing the big old fashioned windows in front of her- this is when she was dying. Anyway she eventually went to Ireland and 'met' yes met all her 'children' from her past life. They were still alive. She had died after delivering her last baby in the hospital!! It was a fantastic book but I can't remember the name - sorry. Really accurate and amazing.

utterMadness Tue 18-Sep-07 21:07:32

I used to have vivid flashbacks of falling down some steps and hitting my head and dying. Nothing else though.

noonar Tue 18-Sep-07 21:08:13

what an incredible story, rumpel. i think i am a bit of a sucker for this kind of thing. if the account is detailed and can be verified in some way, eg by finding a real place matching the description- when the person couldnt possibly have been there themselves, then i'd be fairly convinced.

SaintGeorge Tue 18-Sep-07 21:23:12

When DS2 was 3 he started talking about his granddad dying in a car accident. DS2 was born 2001, my dad died in 1999 of cancer, Fil died in 2002 of a heart attack. I told DS2 this but he insisted, saying it was his 'other grandad'.

Apparently they were together in a car and died when they were hit by a train. He spoke about it consistently for a few months. Then he pointed out to us where the level crossing (where this accident happened) was. A level crossing that was removed in the 1970's, along with the train tracks. Also strange was that when he told us all these details, he spoke very clearly. At the time he had a lot of speech problems (still under SALT age 6) and such clarity was normally impossible.

He only occasionally mentions it now, although he has since told us he had 3 brothers.

Rumpel Tue 18-Sep-07 21:23:56
Rumpel Tue 18-Sep-07 21:29:41

I'm bumping to hear other folks' experiences.

bohemianbint Tue 18-Sep-07 21:48:01

this is a great book...

Lucewheel Tue 18-Sep-07 21:58:10

There is the Audrey Rose books aswell

stressteddy Tue 18-Sep-07 22:01:07

I've poted this on here before but whenever I sing the listen with mother song to my ds his eyes glaze over and he starts to really weep. He is not a crier by nature. When I stop singing the song he always asks for more in a very sad way
I have only done this twice - the second time to see if the first was a fluke. It wasn't and the same thing happened

Very weird and quite upsetting
I have to say it did feel as if he had been taken over by someone else. Not a pleasant thought

stressteddy Tue 18-Sep-07 22:01:51

I don't think the crying was anything to do with my singing either!!!

TheBlonde Wed 19-Sep-07 10:31:09

Rumpel - that's the show I saw, the little boy talked lots about his other mummy

hecciesmum Wed 19-Sep-07 15:54:44

ohhh - I had a spell of this with ds 1. WHen he was 3 he would say, "when I was your mummy and you were a little baby, I lost you in the stinky water mummy. And I couldn't find you and I was crying because I had lost you"...

I must admit to having bee a bit spooked by it at the time, but I do sometimes wonder if we were together before....we are so close and he is such an old soul in some ways. He also spent the first 3 years of his life terrified of water.....is fine now and the stories have stopped.

Am curious as to whether ds2 will have anything similar.....possibly now...he seems much "newer" to me IYSWIM...

3littlefrogs Thu 20-Sep-07 19:22:54

Yes - but they do forget as they get older and more focused on the present IYSWIM. Once they are about 3 IME

noonar Fri 21-Sep-07 20:03:59

wow. more amazing stories...oyur posts have made extraordinary reading, folks.

i will have to order msyelf a copy of that book. smile

fransmom Fri 21-Sep-07 21:17:27

i also have the feeling that i have met dd before and that she was my mother. she too is an old soul

This is all so interesting!, When I was expecting my daughter an only child, Ihad the strange sence that I knew her and could describe her charactor and it turned out that I was right and it's not because I was thinking of my Husband or my own charactor as she is quite different. Also I feel I will have a shy little boy next, interesting to see if i'm right.

When my eldest son was about 3, he talked to as well as about his "other mummy", whom he called Sally, and his "other brothers". They were very much a reality in all our lives for a while, and a medium I spoke to said she thought it was his spirit guide that he could see and talk to.

He also, at the same age, told me knowledgeably that all souls are "recycled" -that babies look down and choose their mummys and daddys, before "swooping down" into the mummy's tummy and waiting to be born.

We'd never discussed any religious views with him, so it was a bit of a shock when he started to talking to us like that, but I think he's an old soul who knows that 'there are more things on Heaven and earth than are dreamed of in our philosophy'.

Also went to a medium when just pregnant with 3rd child and she told me I had a dark boy, a blond girl and she asked if I'd lost a baby. When I said no, she said there was a blond boy standing behind me, waiting to come. I didn't know the baby's gender at the time, but felt that he was a boy - and so he was!

bloodsuckingLOONEY Sat 27-Oct-07 19:25:50

Oh.....I love this thread!!! I've not had anything like that but I've always believed I've been here many times before.

Ds has never said things like that but did send a shiver down my spine when he used to say (aged 2/3, can't remember) 'when I was in your tummy it was very very dark but lovely and warm and wet and cosey'. I've just asked him now (he's 4.7) and he couldn't remember at all and found the whole thing very funny! grin

I totally believe in all this stuff though. One day I'm going to get my fab psycic to do past life regression!

SeaShells Sat 27-Oct-07 19:33:33

My DS was about 3yrs old when he first talked about a previous life where he was a fisherman named John who died at sea in a storm, he is also terrified of water oddly. We never thought much of it at first but over the years he's regularly come back to it in conversations. He tells us he has lived many times and is an 'old soul' and several family members have said similar things about him too.

Flowertots Fri 30-Nov-07 05:17:38

I'm very much a cynic in all of this kind of stuff and actively avoid it. My conclusion is that children's minds work overtime and that a lot of what they see and hear during the day will affect their dreams (as it does with adults), so I'm not surprised that they're so convinced that what they've dreamt about actually happened and that they can describe events so vividly. I think that the attention and reaction they get from adults will only encourage it.

With regards to accidents on roads, houses burning down etc, you could pick any spot in any road anywhere in the world and chances are that someone's been run over there at some point or someone's house got burned down. It's all too coincedential.

A good friend of my mum's went for a reading with a "psychic" years ago who told her that her husband and son would die in a car accident. At the time she was unmarried and had no children. She couldn't bear the idea of having to spend the rest of her days alone because she couldn't bear the thought of her family dying and in the end fell into a deep depression and committed suicide.

Unfortunately, I think there's too many "psychics" out there preying on the weak who are looking for guidance or simply need answers to their questions. Of course they're going to tell you that your children have supernatural powers, who goes to these people go hear something normal and boring. They wouldn't make so much money if they simply told you the boring truth.

I'm not convinced-they're nothing more than dodgy car dealers to me.

lispy Fri 30-Nov-07 07:28:19

Don't spoil the fun!

Columbia Fri 30-Nov-07 07:30:48

Loving this thread!

Flowertots Fri 30-Nov-07 12:52:00

lol!!! Sorry Lipsy

marissab Sun 07-Apr-13 08:58:00

Ok i am going to ressurect this thread because my 2 yo daughter is doing wierd things. She is very sensitive to others emotions. If someone is sad, she will stop everything to cuddle them. Very emphatic. lately she's been doing strange things like we heard her on her baby monitor talking to grandma. Grandma has been dead almost 20 years! She points to her on a picture often and says "Grandma". She picked up my ukulele and a stick and said it was a violin. She started playing it like a violin. I have wracked my brains and cannot think how she would know what a violin was, let alone how to play one. Then last night i had a really good dream. My dd toddles in this morning and the first thing she says to me is "good dream mummy?" How could she possibly know this????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now