Diwali traditions

(3 Posts)
slinkyme Wed 26-Oct-16 10:11:53

Just that. For those that celebrate what are your family Diwali traditions. I am a Hindu who has lived most of my life here. We celebrate Diwali and Christmas - because I just love Christmas. It's hard not to when the whole atmosphere is full of amazing things. My favourite time of year. I know Diwali will
Never be on that level as it would
Be in a predominantly HIndu country where lots of people
Would be celebrating it but I am
So keen to develop lovely new traditions. We have great traditions for Christmas Eve, advent etc for Christmas - what do other Hindus celebrating Diwali do to make this a memorable and special time for their family.

ParaPrincess Thu 27-Oct-16 23:54:43

Although I'm not Hindu I do remember making Diwali lamps as a child. Could you and your family maybe make special Diwali lamps?

Turquoisa Fri 28-Oct-16 07:22:41

Around a few days before Diwali we light tea lights in the house , make Gujarati sweets food such as googra, sukarpara and magaj. On diwali , we might go to the mandir where they have a puja and people bring food to offer as prashad. Evening time we have fireworks and have snacks.Generally spending time with the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now