A question about praying for guidance

(7 Posts)
GoldenWondering Fri 22-Jul-16 19:00:53

If you pray for guidance on a matter, how do you receive an answer? How do you know you are not just hearing what you want to hear. Is it like a voice, or does something else happen? If you prayed about something and then had a dream about the answer would that be the answer? What is specific about a reply from God that distinguishes it from an inner voice, or your own conscience?

I have an issue going on at the moment and I wish somebody could tell me what to do. I am unable to come to any sort of decision by myself. This is partly what has prompted my other thread. I am usually a very decisive person but I can't come to any proper decision on this matter.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 22-Jul-16 19:09:41

Seek the opinions of others and test it out on your gut. And give it time.

If you're a Christian God isn't outside you, you're not praying for something outside you to tell you what to do. God is within you, mixed with you and not separate to you. Wait until you feel more cohesive and more sure.

When I make poor decisions it's usually because I haven't thought about it or prayed about it enough. And I make really bad decisions some times grin. I do better when I ask other people I trust for their thoughts and weigh them up.

peachpudding Fri 22-Jul-16 19:19:33

All the evidence shows that people who pray do exactly the same as if they hadn't prayed. So your gonna have to figure this one out yourself.

Can you get help from unbias friends or professionals.

Cocoabutton Fri 22-Jul-16 22:59:52

I think, for me, praying for guidance is about not reacting immediately, but seeking the internal calm and peace to know when and what the right thing to do is. The answers are there, in what you know and how you feel, but there needs to be space and contemplation to understand.

That said, back in April at the end of my mental and emotional resources with a long-term situation, I stood at my window and handed the issue literally to the sky and prayed for answers. I could not have forseen the unfolding of events and understanding I now have. The situation is not resolved, no, but I also know I cannot resolve it now, only navigate through. And here too, I ask for guidance daily, and I simply trust that I will understand what I need to from what (real life) support I can get. Maybe I would come to the same conclusions without prayer, but the issue feels so very overwhelming and prayer is peaceful.

I also believe in dreams as helping understand situations, yes. I knew from my dreams there was something I was not seeing. I did not know what. But that feels like part of thinking, if that makes sense, not prayer.

I wish you well with resolving your dilemmaflowers

GoldenWondering Thu 11-Aug-16 21:49:32

Thank you for the replies and I'm sorry I didn't come back to this thread sooner. I have not attempted to pray about the matter. I am trying to go with my gut but I really don't have any gut feeling on the matter, just confusion.

mrspotatolegs Fri 12-Aug-16 05:13:46

Sometimes I want an answer to something or to make a decision and I pray about it, and I know what to do. Other times it doesn't 'work'. When that happens I take it as God telling me to be patient, pray more and wait until the certainty comes. I think other (trusted) people's opinions, my own 'thinking', my 'dreams' and my 'gut instinct' are all part of what I throw in the mix when I pray. But patience is the key.

GoldenWondering Sat 13-Aug-16 09:57:48

I'm no further on with the matter I origially posted about. However, I have been worried about something else (to do with church). Yesterday morning I was going to do one thing about it, today I have woken up planning to do something else. How do I know if this is a message from God or instability on my part?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now