how do you know which hymn to sing?

(11 Posts)
FedoraTheExplora Wed 23-Mar-16 09:07:51

I've recently started going to church with my baby. Everyone else seems to automatically know which hymn to sing from the bible? I can't see it written in any of the little booklets that you get every week.

I do sometimes ask or try and peer and the person next to me, but it gets a bit awkward at every song especially when fighting a teething baby. Any ideas? It's c of e.

slicedfinger Wed 23-Mar-16 09:08:53

Is there not a list of hymn numbers on a board somewhere?

randomsabreuse Wed 23-Mar-16 09:13:47

There should be a little wooden board, often above the reader's lectern or the pulpit with numbers on it. These will be the planned hymns in order. The hymns have numbers rather than page numbers. Hopefully you will be given the right hymn book on arrival.

Alternatively go to a cathedral where the hymns are written out in full on in some cases with full music! This makes me happy as I don't know many hymns and can read music!

candykane25 Wed 23-Mar-16 09:14:53

A lot of churches have a wooden board to the side with countdown style numbers listed - they are the numbers of the hymns in the hymn book. Sometimes it's in the mass sheet. I would ask one of the helpers usually at the back of the church when you go in.
It's very common to be completely confused though and miss the first few lines while you are trying to find the hymn in the book smile
I mime anyway. No one wants to hear me sing.

FedoraTheExplora Wed 23-Mar-16 09:21:03

Oh! I always sit right at the back with the buggy and my views kind of blocked. But I will look out for a board! How silly of me.

Seeline Wed 23-Mar-16 09:21:19

Sometimes there is a separate sheet for each week - the booklet maybe re-used each week as the service format stays the same. The separate sheet will list what is relevant for that day's services - not just hymn numbers, but the readings too.
But do ask one of the welcomers/people who hand out the hymn bools etc. They would be happy to help, and it will also make them aware of the fact that the church could make some changes to make things easier for all newcomers.

candykane25 Wed 23-Mar-16 09:29:51

Fedora it's not silly at all. My BIL isn't a church goer but if he's with us for whatever reason , in mass when we offer the sign of peace to others and shake hands and say peace be with you, he says please to meet you. Always makes me giggle. Church and mass are full of confusing things.

DandyDan Thu 24-Mar-16 21:38:57

I find it surprising that the hymns aren't announced at all. Every church I've been in, the leader of worship (priest, pastor, lay leader of worship) has always announced the hymn number. But there will also likely be a board with the numbers on somewhere at the front.

GoodFreyedaySusie Sat 26-Mar-16 22:58:51

I have been going to churches for years. I have been going to a coe church for four years. I still do not know what things are called and just make up descriptive names for them. (the sticky out bit on the side... the narrow bit at the front..)

I started going to a mid week service and it is really different, reading out loud, and the peace still is weird.

GoodFreyedaySusie Sat 26-Mar-16 22:59:42

not silly at all... fancy not being able to mind read

GinandJag Thu 31-Mar-16 17:37:53

We project our liturgy and have printed service sheets with hymns/songs.

I do remember the boards with hymn numbers from my childhood. I think the minister or service leader would announce the hymn too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now