Do you consciously try to be happy?

(9 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Mon 01-Feb-16 13:52:12

Is it possible?

misscph1973 Mon 01-Feb-16 14:01:00

Yes. Although it's hard this time of year ;) I try to make mental lists of what I am grateful for and I try to be positive about people even when they are negative.

Are you unhappy?

LadyMaryofDownt0n Mon 01-Feb-16 14:10:21

Yes, I focus on my blessings & that keeps me happy (most of the time). No point focusing on the negative, I want to enjoy my life. I say this as someone who hasn't got a lot materially.

cheapskatemum Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:59

I like your username, for someone who hasn't got a lot materially smile. In some ways, I find it easier to be happy with not a lot, there's less pressure, but maybe that's just me. I definitely do "consciously try to be happy", because I really don't like the alternative. I have been unhappy in the past - due to family circumstances outside my control - and I'm so grateful we found a way through. I learnt a lot during that time though.

AlanPacino Tue 02-Feb-16 06:41:50

Yes, because I know when I am happy I am more able to make others lives better and in turn, making others happy, makes me happy. I can't see the benefit of not wanting to be happy?

AlanPacino Tue 02-Feb-16 06:42:57

Is it possible? Not all the time or for everyone sadly. But again people that feel good are in a better place to help.

VelvetGreen Tue 02-Feb-16 09:55:48

Someone asked a similar question here last year and i hope you don't mind if i give the same answer.

I think the pursuit of happiness is overrated. No-one can be happy all the time - we will all have difficult times and suffering to endure now and again. When i am happy it is always tinged with a sadness of knowing it can't last.

For me, the way through this to a place of contentment has been to find a middle path - not one where you don't feel or care, but one where the highs and lows are just passing weather - one is not particularly sought and the other is not avoided. Ironically my life is 'happier' since i stopped trying to cling to being happy while fearing the sad times.

VulcanWoman Tue 02-Feb-16 10:04:03

I think I am here to learn lessons not necessarily to be happy, if I am then it's a bonus.

misscph1973 Tue 02-Feb-16 10:57:17

As I get older, I get more scared of what I can lose, and of dying - I don't feel immortal as I did in my 20s. Maybe that's part of the territorry when you become a parent?

I'm more conscious and aware of how my quality of life is now. And I agree, it's easier to appreciate what you have when you have very little. But it's also really soul destroying being poor. I have had long periods of worrying about hot to pay the bills and food, and it's still deep in me, although I am fine now (not rich at all, but at least not struggling anymore).

I feel more grounded now. And "being happy" is something I have to remember that I am, deep down, even when things are difficult.

You might enjoy some of the articles:

markmanson.net/best-articles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now