Witches.

(36 Posts)
Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 17:28:21

Hi everyone. I haven't been here since March, but suddenly feel the need to revisit as something I posted about before has resurfaced.

One of the Mums at school says she is a witch.

I'm not sure how best to handle it. I like her, well, she seems okay and she has always been friendly if a little leftfield.

Another friend of mine told me she claimed to be a 'white witch' about a year or two ago, but I didn't know this first hand nor what to do with the information so I posted here and got told it was nonsense by a few real witches.

Anyway today she told me (unsolicited) that she is in fact a witch and had cursed someone neither of us got on with very well, causing them to leave their job.

I didn't know what to say. I learned from here that a proper, decent, real witch wouldn't do anything detrimental with their magic.

So what is she then? And should I avoid her?

TIA for any advice smile

Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 17:40:34

I think I already know the answer actually.

deepbluetr Fri 27-Jun-14 17:47:46

You are looking at witchcraft through a christian slant.

The idea of good and evil seems to be clear for christians ( although I doubt that) but for the rest of us humans (including witches) life is lived in shades of grey.

"proper, decent, real witch" - I doubt that is the case.

Humans do horrible things, start gossip, spread rumours, say bitchy things on facebook, witches are no different.
Have you never maneouvered to get rid of a bitchy or cruel boss? I know I have- even without witchcraft.

Avoid her if you like.

Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 17:51:18

Hiya. Thanks for replying.

Not sure what makes you think I have a Christian perspective on this?

I don't recall manoeuvring to get rid of anyone tbh.

But I think I understand your point.

LadyLemongrab Fri 27-Jun-14 18:00:38

I'm not sure if you're asking whether you should avoid her because
She can, and has, cast malicious spells
Or because she's a bit weird for thinking she's a witch who can cast spells.

If the latter then it's perfectly readonable to decide someone claiming to be a witch isn't really your cup of tea, wouldn't be mine either.

If the former then...actually I don't know! Believing someone is a witch is a bit nuts.

gatewalker Fri 27-Jun-14 18:01:24

Speaking as someone who considers herself a witch ... There are myriad definitions for the word "witch", and recognising someone as a witch really comes down to a matter of opinion - not all witches recognise each other, let alone are recognised by people who have other practices/beliefs.

So, really, what I'm saying is that the term "witch" is not as relevant as making a choice about whether you want to associate with a woman who is happy to curse someone who has pissed her off. To me, it's really no different than someone spreading a rumour or taking part in other kinds of sabotage.

Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 18:11:20

Thanks...it's the second one, ie, should I avoid her for claiming to be or thinking she is a 'witch', and/or for casting 'spells' on someone, which seems pretty abhorrent to me. As much as I dislike some people there is no way I would seek to harm them by occult means or otherwise.

I don't know enough about actual witchcraft, or forgive me, is it known as Wicca? to comment on the legitimacy of someone claiming to be a witch. I'm pretty open minded usually.

No offence intended. I'm ignorant on this topic, so am probably using the wrong terms all over the place. Sorry.

Aliceinvodkaland Fri 27-Jun-14 18:13:31

if she has cursed someone, she will get three times worse back, so even if she is a witch she is a bit silly!!

UriGeller Fri 27-Jun-14 18:18:30

Saying you've cursed someone is a bit of a shitty thing to do. Whether she has the power to or not, its still a shitty thing to do.

I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of someone who thought she could go around cursing people and causing them actual real harm.

Flowerfae Fri 27-Jun-14 18:20:13

she sounds like a bit of a prat really, don't get why she's bragging about 'cursing' someone.

She's probably not, and saying it for a reaction.

alemci Fri 27-Jun-14 18:21:54

I am a christian so I don't like the idea of her cursing someone she dislikes. dangerous and I would avoid her. I understand about white witches doing good.

Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 18:25:27

I'm not sure. I think she is unfortunate in that she hasn't had a role model who was quite 'ordinary' so she is trying her best but doesn't have a handle on what other people consider normal...iyswim?

I don't dislike her. But there was another thing she said about a man she met and she seems to believe in all sorts of woo, like 'you just know when you meet the one' etc etc (guy had texted her for 5 days, said he loved her, then gone to a new job several thousand miles away, and she is waiting for him sad)

Oh dear

I just feel sorry for her really, but at the same time, I don't want her to put some kind of curse on me, if I do something that upsets her at some point. Not that I am certain I believe in such things anyway. It's just a bit unsettling.

It would be unsettling whatever she claimed to have done, really, wouldn't it? But the witch thing just adds in a whole other dimension of 'back away slowly'.

gatewalker Fri 27-Jun-14 18:27:10

Wicca is only one tradition in a great many witchcraft traditions, Rooners - and not all witchcraft is as formal as many Wicca covens. Some practices, like mine, are pretty extemporaneous and personal; others are highly ritualised and group-orientated/hierarchical. Either way, cursing someone isn't limited to a particular practice. We're basically cursing when we swear at someone under our breaths - albeit mostly in a less directed and intentioned way.

Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 18:27:12

and I do like her, really I do. I don't think the same way, is all.

I suppose I am asking, can I still be her friend? Because I don't feel that it's necessary to avoid her completely. We only talk at school really.

sittingatmydeskagain Fri 27-Jun-14 18:28:07

I met someone who said they were a witch and had cursed people.

I'm fairly open minded, but I think he was frankly weird. Most of his spells seem to involve public hair!

I went for the "completely avoid" route.

Rooners Fri 27-Jun-14 18:28:11

Thank you, Gatewalker...that's an interesting way to look at it. I appreciate your equanimity here as well.

gatewalker Fri 27-Jun-14 18:39:28

You're welcome, Rooners. I'd go with the most witch-like sense that we all have when it comes to deciding whether you want to be her friend or not: your intuition smile

Fragglewump Fri 27-Jun-14 18:47:06

Sittingatmydeskagain. Did you mean public or pubic?

Trapper Fri 27-Jun-14 18:48:08

I wouldn't avoid someone for being a witch and cursing someone because, it's not real is it? I would avoid her for clearly being one nugget short of a happy meal though.

Aliceinvodkaland Fri 27-Jun-14 18:51:46

sitting if someone was using public hair i would avoid as well!!

Scarletohello Fri 27-Jun-14 18:52:22

'One nugget short of a happy meal'. Not heard that one before, v funny..!

Aliceinvodkaland Fri 27-Jun-14 18:53:05

yes, you say that trapper until someone curses you! smile

Trapper Fri 27-Jun-14 19:01:31

That's a good point - I really didn't think that through. wink

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Fri 27-Jun-14 19:01:48

I suppose if you believe in any "God", then you will believe in some kind of 'Witchcraft' if only even to shun either.

I personally like to choose people I like, rather than what or who they believe in, religious or not. I have friends who are incredibly religious (I'm not at all, but I like them as people). It seems they like me too, even though I don't hold their views.

I also, as Trapper says, would not avoid someone for being a witch - a belief is a belief. As for being a nugget short of a Happy Meal - very funny grin But you could say that about any religion or belief, couldn't you?

Cursing in any form is not nice, but also not real - it just can't happen, in any form.

I might actually go out of my way to befriend, just to enter into the debate.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Fri 27-Jun-14 19:03:45

yes, you say that trapper until someone curses you!

I've been cursed loads of times (as, I'm sure, have many others) for not buying 'lucky heather'.

I'm still here, alive and kicking, and pretty happy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now