Believers VS Non-belivers

(490 Posts)

Why is it that if someone believes in something, they will talk about it as exactly that - something they believe in - and not portray it as absolute fact; yet if someone doesn't believe in something, they will say this as an absolute fact and ridicule those who believe?

It's almost as if those who don't believe (in whatever the subject: angels, God, reincarnation) consider themselves superior to those who do, and view those who do as stupid for doing so.

Surely everyone's beliefs are their own belief and opinion - nothing "woo" can be either proven or disproven, so therefore nobody is right or wrong.

It just seems that every thread that starts "Do you believe" on this board ends up in a bun fight with believes defending themselves against non-believers who tell them they're being ridiculous. The clue is in the title of the board - if you don't believe in anything that's likely to be discussed under that heading, just avoid the board!

BigDorrit Sat 14-Jun-14 15:32:16

I don't agree that they should spend their time developing weapons, although obviously some of their discoveries will have destructive uses. However, when a person/country wants to force you to become a part of their empire I'd rather have the bigger weapons on my side, so there is some justification on those lines. No justification for making in order to be the aggressor though.

What do you think should be the punishment for apostasy?

headinhands Sat 14-Jun-14 15:33:32

god would want it to end

But the man said he now realised the wisdom in god letting the abuse continue. What do you suppose the wisdom was?

peacefuloptimist Sat 14-Jun-14 15:49:38

I'd rather have the bigger weapons on my side, so there is some justification on those lines

Oh so your saying there is some wisdom behind creating nuclear, chemical and biological weapons like the spanish influenza virus. Oh well as long as they are there for your benefit and used against people who dont have the same weapons to use against you. The Vietnamese sure had it coming didnt they trying to build their big empire. Thank god those scientists made napalm to literally torture them to death hmm?

And a question about apostasy to boot. Was waiting for questions along that line. I wonder if you would have asked some of the earlier christian posters or atheists that question in this thread thats got nothing to do with that topic. Oh was it because of that comment I made a while ago about apos...wait I didnt make a comment about that did I? I think I better hide this thread and stick to my guns about leaving it before I get asked about terrorism next. The video summarises my views on suffering and the existence of God/purpose of life. Watch it if your interested, or dont bother. I dont really care either way, but dont misrepresent what it actually says to others especially if your going to guess at that after watching about 10 minutes of it.

BigDorrit Sat 14-Jun-14 15:53:58

And you accuse us of twisting things?

Hypocrite!

BigDorrit Sat 14-Jun-14 15:58:49

Where was this thread about creating weapons? You asked my opinion on something, I answered it, and you pretended I agreed with America invading places.

So, I asked you a question about your faith, which you haven't answered.

headinhands Sat 14-Jun-14 16:13:28

*I was too young to see the wisdom in [god] allowing my mother to suffer the violence and abuse of my father"

Peaceful, can you say what that wisdom might be?

headinhands Sat 14-Jun-14 17:03:26

should we be blamed as well

It seems like you agree that we should always stop DV where we can. But that man in the video said god didn't stop if for some wise reason. He said he now realised there was wisdom in god having not stopped it. If someone does stop DV that they could they have made a poor moral choice. Whereas it's actually okay and wise for god to not act sometimes? Have I explained the contradiction clearly?

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 14-Jun-14 17:07:57

Head, are you saying that you do not believe in god because you consider the Abrahamic god to be less moral than you?

CorusKate Sat 14-Jun-14 17:08:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmazingMorning Sat 14-Jun-14 17:16:52

Although I don't believe in anything I would never be rude to someone who had different religious views to me. I expect it both ways though. Tolerance and all that...

Hakluyt Sat 14-Jun-14 17:18:50

I would be grateful if somebody would explain the wisdom the man in the video found in God allowing the DV to continue. I did try to watch the video but fell asleep both times. blush I will try again.

headinhands Sat 14-Jun-14 18:02:30

i would never be rude to someone

Me neither. What I would do though was point out glaring fallacies and contradictions if we were in a debating type conversation. In RL I don't though. My boss is very woo and I'll sit and nod along for hours. If you asked her she'd probably think I was into it too as I've done that good a job of being noncommittal. But here I don't need to nod along politely because then the discussion would merely be one person after another saying what woo they believed in with no discussion.

headinhands Sat 14-Jun-14 18:03:49

Dione it's partly why, yes.

headinhands Sat 14-Jun-14 20:23:05

Dragging it back to the theist/atheist topic we covered earlier check out this screen grab from a christian teaching video. Spot the mistake? grin

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 15-Jun-14 00:03:50

Thank you for answering Head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now