Do you believe in guardian angels?

(367 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

I have an 2mo DD and recently I have been finding white feathers in her cot, pram, Moses basket ect. I mentioned it to my mum and she suggested it could be an angel, I'm a little sceptical but I must admit it is a little bit strange.

So do you believe and have you had any experience of this?

EssexMummy123 Tue 17-Jun-14 22:43:05

I''m sorry - but for me, guardian angels go along with the tooth fairy and santa claus. None of it has ever been proven.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Tue 17-Jun-14 22:39:47

I'm obviously missing your point. We're all posters on this thread.

So?

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 17-Jun-14 18:16:04

Big, if you suspect that to be the reason that Squidly posted you should ask her (although she may not respond). She is a poster on this thread, she is not "some" Christians.

msrisotto Tue 17-Jun-14 17:47:48

I would like to second what BigDorrit said.

BigDorrit Tue 17-Jun-14 14:15:54

I don't see that the post should be deleted. It doesn't mention anyone by name, or refer to specifics, but it does highlight a point that is very uncomfortable to Christians (which is why I suspect some of them would really like it deleted).

Fair enough if someone involved in the original thread should ask, but otherwise it asks a question of people who believe in a god that they don't have an adequate answer for ("God moves in mysterious ways" hardly qualifies).

SquidlyTunes Mon 16-Jun-14 18:11:11

Hak I would also request you withdraw and get that specific post deleted. Not because of the point you make but because you have taken someone's very personal and intensely difficult situation and used it without their permission to try and support your argument for there being no God. If they have read it, or someone passes this discussion onto them, I dread to think of what bringing it up in this context might do to them. I find that an abhorrent abuse and gross disrespect for the person concerned, who no doubt posted on MN for support at such a difficult time. I've only recently joined MN so do not know any details, nor do I wish them to be discussed any further in this debate. The use of any such direct personal case in another context must only ever be done with their permission. I will no longer respond to your comments in this debate.

headinhands Mon 16-Jun-14 17:43:47

So you've got a Christian whose going to church like 6 times a week and giving a shed loads of cash to charity and running a homeless hostel and they develop some super painful condition like fibromyalgia. How are they to know wether god is talking to them or not, it just seems so inefficient for something so supposedly vital.

headinhands Mon 16-Jun-14 17:36:41

Actually going back to that CS Lwis quote

'but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.'

I just don't understand how anyone can accept this. Loads of Christians have dreadful pain and then people who have no belief who are living very comfortably.

Why use a system that people will attribute to something else. Is the pain a teenager with cancer has god's megaphone? How are you supposed to determine when the pain is just pain, or when it's pain megaphone pain or whatever?

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 16:03:32

What you have written Hak, is how you perceive me. What did you mean by "conducting, not playing"?

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 14:43:10

Then you are wrong. I perceive myself as one of many posters here who ask questions and contribute posts. It appears that you see me as something different.

Hakluyt Mon 16-Jun-14 14:33:35

I didn't say that you conduct but don't play. I said that is how you perceive yourself.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 14:24:27

Then you have not read my posts Hak. I respect people. I think diversity is good. I believe in god. I have posted these things many, many times. Did you not see any of those posts?

I question because I am interested in what other people have to say.
I have contributed lengthy (some might say too lengthy) posts on this forum.
I don't know what you mean when you say that I conduct, but I don't play.

MostWicked Mon 16-Jun-14 14:07:17

I think Hakluyt's post makes a very valid point about the value of prayer.
Prayer seems to make absolutely no difference to the outcome. There seems to be emotional support that comes from everyone's thoughts being with someone who is suffering, but doesn't actually make any difference to the outcome. God doesn't intervene, so either he does exist but sees some people as not worthy of his help, or he doesn't exist and the outcome is determined by the medical condition.
I would never post on a thread that was looking for religious prayers, but I would post on a thread where someone was looking for emotional support regarding a potentially tragic situation.

Hakluyt Mon 16-Jun-14 13:52:23

I did not lurk on those threads. There were many people contributing, not just Christians. They were not specifically prayer threads.

I have no idea what you think, believe or respect. Because you never give anything of yourself at all to any thread I have seen you contribute on. You come across as seeing yourself above the fray, questioning, but not contributing, conducting but not playing.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 13:37:20

Did you think that the respect I spoke of did not extend to you?

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 13:08:02

The fact that that was the moment when you lost your "desire to believe" is immaterial. It would have been possible to explain yourself without stooping as low as you did. You have said that you respect support & prayer threads and don't post on them a number of times. Are you now going to add that you lurk and will take posts from those threads to use to make the rather ridiculous point that a non existant god that you don't believe in is a bad god?

Why are you surprised that I think anything of you at all? I read your posts, I take time to answer your questions and I advocate respect for people regardless of belief status, colour, gender, sexuality etc.

Hakluyt Mon 16-Jun-14 12:53:09

Ah, right. Then as I said, I can live with you thinking less of me. I am surprised you think anything of me at all.

I hesitated, and said I would delete in case any of the people directly involved wanted me to, or if the mood of the thread was that I was wrong to post. But it was a very important moment for me because if I had any lingering desire to believe, or "respect" for Christianity, that moment extinguished it, finally and completely.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 12:23:52

I meant that I felt uncomfortable reading it and that it made me think less of you that you would take a post from a thread supporting a dying child's family and use it this way. I meant that it made me think less of you. That is why I did not think it was a good post.

Why did you hesitate before making the post and why did you offer to ask for it to be removed?

Hakluyt Mon 16-Jun-14 12:10:26

You said "it is not a good post". I asked you what you meant.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 12:07:54

Hak, I answered your questions. What further questions do you have?

Hakluyt Mon 16-Jun-14 11:55:50

I'm sorry, Dione- I think you should answer some questions before you ask any more.

I have asked Mumsnet to adjudicate on whether my post should be deleted. I realised that I wasn't prepared to delete my sincere thoughts and feelings just on the strength of you saying you wanted me to. I did ask you to explain why before I made this decision, but you declined to.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 16-Jun-14 11:14:32

Hak, what made you hesitate to make that post and why did you offer to have it deleted if someone asked you?

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 15-Jun-14 22:58:37

It did not offend my religious sensibilities Hak.

Hakluyt Sun 15-Jun-14 22:35:57

I can live with you thinking less of me. However, I don't think you can just say "it is not a good post" without saying more. It is sincerely what I think and feel. And It was what I felt at the time. It might be uncomfortable for you to read as a Christian, but I have a right to my feelings.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 15-Jun-14 22:03:32

Because I feel very uncomfortable reading it. And it has caused me to think a little less of you. It is not a good post and it saddens me.

Thank you for asking to get it deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now