Daily Gratitudes 2014

(547 Posts)
Annunziata Wed 01-Jan-14 16:55:28

Old thread here

Welcome to our Gratitudes for 2014! The lovely crescentmoon started last years, and we are running out of space. So, here is our 2014 thread-for little things that go well for us each day.

Any MNer can join in! From any faith, no faith, every day, once in a while, everyone is welcome!

I am grateful for
a New Year and new starts
all my grown up DC having a good time at parties and returning home safely
a warm bath and a glass of wine

crescentmoon Sun 09-Feb-14 09:25:15

glad to see you back wing, welcome giggle really liked reading your gratitudes.
stressed totally understand where you said you have to let them work and live their lives. you just hope they take your values on green issues or on money and how to earn it and manage but we just leave the rest to God. its great its getting decommisioned, i was reaing a thread over christmas about people living near Sellafield, cant remember details but i thought to myself glad i live miles away from any power stations or plants!

gratitudes

living in a decent area with decent neighbours,
that when fasting its by choice, having a lovely meal at the end of the day, rather than because there is no food to eat,
that im in my home with my kids, warm, secure, and not in a refugee camp in syria,
that i live in a country that if a region decides to secede and go independent, there wont be civil war and conscription as in parts of the world even today. its a sign of how far democracy and the rule of law goes that if scotland decides to go independent the rest of the UK accepts that,
im grateful for the goodness in my in laws that i rarely used to acknowledge before now.

Annunziata Sun 09-Feb-14 19:57:51

gratitudes
family

WingDefence Sun 09-Feb-14 21:25:01

Gratitudes:
My DPs
The wonder of majestic mountains (in Sochi!)
Friends

giggleshizz Sun 09-Feb-14 21:30:38

Thanks and dipping back in already smile

Gratitudes:
For seeing two very close friends today who reminded me that I have some beautiful people around me.
Summer holiday plans seem to be coming together, exactly as I had visualised them. Just had a fantastic offer from someone who will enable my holiday dreams to come true this summer at a fraction of the price so THANK YOU.
Oh and it was sunny today!

giggleshizz Sun 09-Feb-14 21:34:04

Oh and seeing as people are mentioning the Winter Olympics, is it naughty of me to thank German athlete Andreas Wank for NOT changing his name and giving me a good laugh listening to the TV presenter trying not to laugh!!??

Poledra Mon 10-Feb-14 09:49:15

<sniggers at Andreas Wank>

Morning all! I often come back to this thread on a Monday as I sit down at work and need to try to be grateful!
So, I'm grateful that:
I have a job -OK, it's hard work and I'm not enjoying it right now but it's not boring and it pays well
DD2's birthday party went well yesterday (and that I don't need to think about organizing another one till the summer - I have DD1 and DD2 in the 6 weeks after Christmas and it's always a mad rush!)
That we are not flooded on my area.

stressedHEmum Mon 10-Feb-14 17:34:13

central heating
hot soup
shelter
friends
faith

WingDefence Mon 10-Feb-14 19:25:39

Evening all.

I have a job -OK, it's hard work and I'm not enjoying it right now but it's not boring and it pays well.
Ditto this Poledra. In fact, I'm working again tonight partially because I didn't have a productive day today

For no flooding here too.

For food in the fridge and cupboards and on the table without having to think where the next meal is coming from.

Annunziata Tue 11-Feb-14 19:10:47

For the sunshine and the snow we had today
For a good long walk to blow away the cobwebs!

crescentmoon Tue 11-Feb-14 19:25:57

gratitudes:

that i managed to get home quite quickly in the snow,
for the lovely new tearoom thats opened up in my area and the nice new owner,
thati can see my dc blossoming under my attention,
that DH is not being judgemental about awkward problems iv gotten myself into at the moment,
that all is going well for this sunday.

WingDefence Tue 11-Feb-14 22:32:19

Hope everything's okay crescent.

Today's gratitudes:

For the gift of music and singing
For laughter
For my DH painting the kitchen cupboard doors, when I have meant to do it for the last 2 years (and even bought all the paint etc)

Annunziata Wed 12-Feb-14 21:10:10

Do you have a lovely fresh kitchen now Wing? Early spring cleaning smile

Hope you are alright, crescent, you know to shout if there's anything we can do!

gratitudes
a nice warm coat

stressedHEmum Fri 14-Feb-14 19:02:30

Is everything all right, crescent. You know you can always talk to us if you need to.

gratitudes -
the support of good friends
prayer
faith
shelter
hot food and clean water

I have happy news. DS1 and his partner got engaged yesterday, so an exciting time for themgrin

Annunziata Fri 14-Feb-14 19:44:07

So did my DS1 this morning stressed! We can be MILs together!!!! Congratulations to them. Have you calmed down yet? I am still laughing grin

I am grateful for love smile

WingDefence Sat 15-Feb-14 09:03:54

Congrats you two ladies! How wonderful smile

So much to be thankful for today - number one is that I made it through the week and finally got all my work out. It's been a nightmare couple of weeks!
Also for my gorgeous DCs who make my mood lift when I see them
And I'm very thankful for the weekend and the promise of nice family time that I can rally enjoy without having to think about work for a day or two smile

crescentmoon Sat 15-Feb-14 09:23:50

annunziata and stressed, im very very glad for both of you and congratulations to your lovely boys and their fiances! how exciting! so sweet your reaction annunziata! as for me iv had a down and then up week. something foolish i did, well, a couple of foolish things i did that snowballed. in the past i wouldnt have talked it over with my DH in case he did an 'i told you so', but now we can talk about things like that. thankfully he listened and gave me good advice. so im grateful for that as i still feel quite sheepish myself!

gratitudes

for getting a chance at my ideal job next week, even if i fail the interview im still on a buzz that i even got called in,
that all plans for half term are going really well,
for that strange beautiful thing called love,
for my dc,
im grateful for having good neighbours and living in a peaceful crime free area.
that im not affected by the awful flooding.

stressedHEmum Sat 15-Feb-14 10:32:36

Glad things are OK, crescent. I was worried about you. Being able to talk to your husband about things is a blessing indeed. May you continue to be such a support to each other. Good luck with the interview.

Annunziata, how wonderful! TBH, it wasn't entirely unexpected, they have been together for 5 years. But exciting, happy news and a very bright spot in an extremely difficult week for me.

I have had to resign from something that I really love and that is very important to me because my male colleagues continue to make discriminatory comments about my (female) colleague and I not being able to do as good a job as a man would and our charges needing a man to look up to and to be a suitable role model for them.

I am actually distraught over this because I do love the activity so much and because my colleague and I do a really, really good job. Just being a man doesn't mean that someone else would be better at it.

gratitudes
crescent is Ok
happy children
over the counter meds for DD, she has yet another throat infection
food, water, shelter and safety
the love and support of family and friends

Annunziata Sat 15-Feb-14 13:01:33

That is rotten stressed sad Eejit. It was a bit more of a surprise for us, but they went to Paris so when they told us that we were all expecting!

I am glad things are looking up, crescent and best of luck for your interview, I am sure you will do absolutely brilliantly!

Thank you wings, I hope you enjoy your weekend flowers

WingDefence Mon 17-Feb-14 16:47:11

stressed that's horrible to have to do that sad
crescent good luck with the interview smile

Hope you all had a lovely weekend?

I've been down to London for work today and I'm knackered after getting up at 5:15 and having meetings solidly 10-4pm with a working lunch before leaving to catch the train home!

I'm helping to lead a ladies' night at another church tonight and I'm speaking for about 10mins at it. Bit nervous as although I present lots professionally, when it's to do with your faith it's more personal, isn't it?

Aaaaanyway, gratitudes:
- for the fact that it's light now while I'm on the train so I can stare out of the window at the lovely countryside
- that my meetings went well
- for my DPs who have got DS today and overnight and took him to the Lego movie today and out for a special tea. I spoke to him a few mins ago and he is having a great time

stressedHEmum Mon 17-Feb-14 18:58:04

Prayers are with you, crescent and Wing

DS4 is desperate to see the Lego Movie. Perhaps DH will be able to take him at the weekend.

Foolishly, I am still very upset. I've not been sleeping properly or anything because of this. I keep worrying about all the disruption to my boys. The section might even have to close because 1 man is too proud to apologise. I think my colleague and O might take the whole thing further, tbh. Jesus saw the value of women and treated them with respect and care, it's a joke that, in this day and age, mature, supposedly Christian men can't do the same.

gratitudes
central heating is fixed - hooray!
warm water
hot food and drink
family and friends
shelter from the weather
books and the ability to read

giggleshizz Mon 17-Feb-14 20:58:05

Gratitudes today smile

-Impromptu invite to play date with dd and new friends
-Having dinner in bed infront of the telly because I am single and dd is asleep (such a luxurious treat, sounds crazy I know)
-Thinking today how lucky I am that I get to spend so much time with dd and watch her growing up
-For friends far and wide who get in touch and remind me that there is a lot of love around me
-And to echo Wing above....for chocolate grin

WingDefence Wed 19-Feb-14 06:55:58

stressed you sound very stressed sad Perhaps you could post something on the prayer thread on here?

giggle, sounds like a fun day smile

DS loved the Lego Movie. In fact I'm wondering if we can squeeze on another showing this week so I can see it! My DPs thought it was brilliant too.

Gratitudes:
For a good night's sleep even if DD does wake too early
For the feeling of having got through a recent peak of work
For the unspoken mutual bond we have in friendships based on faith.

crescentmoon Wed 19-Feb-14 09:34:42

ahh poor stressed, i totally understand your feelings. i really hope this isnt your BB that theyre trying to hijack - you've put so much effort into it. im so sorry if it is, thats crap. i often wish there were women only mosques i could go to - theyve had them in China for centuries. but not really in many other places. i really hope somebody higher up can stop this person taking over, and you and your colleague be reinstated dear stressed. hope today is better for you. giggle and wing really lovely to read your gratitudes.

gratitudes

for faith,
for friendship,
for central heating - and the choice ourselves to have it on or not,
for waking up this morning in good health,
for my new handbag

stressedHEmum Wed 19-Feb-14 09:52:23

Thank you all for your prayers. it is the BB, crescent. 1 man is, essentially, destroying the company because of his prejudices. Hopefully, the higher ups will be able to do something about it. Jesus recognised the worth of women and the early church was full of us, so it's totally galling that, in this day and age, others within the church community can't. I will just have to get on with things and leave it to God to sort out, but that's hard sometimes.

I didn't realise that you could get women only mosques! Some churches have special services just for women/men and women's'/men's groups. They make a nice change because they can focus on different issues and concerns from normal.

gratitudes -
a nice evening with a friend last night, counting all the money my wee BB boys have saved/collected for Mary's Meals. So far this year, we have nearly £250 and we have filled 5 backpacks full of basic school stuff, clothes, shoes and basic personal hygiene things. Not bad for 6 wee boys. ]
busy day at foodbank yesterday - I never know whether I should be grateful for this or not
a warm house
food and clean water
cuddles from the children
heard from DS2 yesterday, he is doing well and has his accommodation sorted out for next year now.

Annunziata Wed 19-Feb-14 10:37:51

I love Mary's Meals, stressed. They made a film earlier this year, have you seen it? Hard to watch but very very touching.

I am also grateful for chocolate and handbags grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now