Daily Gratitudes 2014

(677 Posts)
Annunziata Wed 01-Jan-14 16:55:28

Old thread here

Welcome to our Gratitudes for 2014! The lovely crescentmoon started last years, and we are running out of space. So, here is our 2014 thread-for little things that go well for us each day.

Any MNer can join in! From any faith, no faith, every day, once in a while, everyone is welcome!

I am grateful for
a New Year and new starts
all my grown up DC having a good time at parties and returning home safely
a warm bath and a glass of wine

sugar4eva Tue 07-Jan-14 22:26:42

For simple pleasures after a hectic day
- egg on toast with cheese on top with a glass of wine.
Dd making a hand shake up with me. !
For the wind outside, cosy inside
The more you celebrate your life , the more their is to celebrate! Yay. Mind you when dh knocked my b day picture of the wall last night I was not celebrating ! ; 0 !

sugar4eva Tue 07-Jan-14 22:27:57

As the glass smashed I was a harridan !

WingDefence Wed 08-Jan-14 08:15:01

In DS's daily devotionals book today:

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 smile

crescent are you Muslim? Hope you don't mind me asking - your user name might relate to something completely different! If you are, I'm afraid I've not read the Koran (sorry if that spelling's wrong) - is it broken down into verses like the Bible is?

stressedHEmum Wed 08-Jan-14 10:41:55

Wing, we often have that verse as a call to worship . So simple, yet so profound.

sugar, there is so very much to celebrate. Even when things are tough, there are always so many blessings and joys. Sometimes we just have to look a bit harder for them.

Crescent, hope you are well, dear sister.

gratitudes
DS2 made a successful journey down to Cumbria to visit DS1 yesterday. It's the farthest he has ever gone on his own and I was worried sick all day. There were many delays and at times the trains had to be abandoned for replacement bus services but he took it all in his stride. I am so proud of him. Even a year ago he would have really, really struggled and someone would have had to travel with him. He is learning to cope so wellgrin
a lull in the weather
a warm home
homemade soup and crusty bread for tea
faith
small furry pets

Poledra Wed 08-Jan-14 10:52:41

A happy new year to all! I'd dropped the last thread rather but I am still in the habit of thinking of my gratitudes, even if I don't find time to post them. So, i am grateful:

for my family - my beautiful children especially
that SleekCat finally came back last night - he's not given to wandering much in winter, so when he didn't turn up for tea, it was rather a concern. He strolled back in about 8pm, giving us the 'Whaaaat? I was just, y'know, out!' look when we fell on him in relief
that the garage agreed the fault in the car I recently bought from them should not have happened, and replaced the faulty part free
that we are far away from the flooding and we are warm and safe

crescentmoon Wed 08-Jan-14 12:12:36

morning all!

poledra very glad to see you on annunziatas new thread. wing yes i am muslim you got the reference right! its a great multifaith group here on the gratitudes thread and im also proud to say sister to stressed also! the Qu'ran is structured into verses and chapters like the Bible but its much shorter, probably something like 25000 less verses!

gratitudes:

that stressed is seeing such improvement with ds2, i pray that you see that with all your children all the time!
for good friends,
for health,
for good food,
for a warm house - im grateful for my warm dry house today.

sugar4eva Wed 08-Jan-14 21:48:49

For laughter shared at work today amongst the background of a pressured environment .
For being able to help folk.
For my cosy bed .
For a moment of stillness .

WingDefence Wed 08-Jan-14 22:17:47

Well then crescent, I'm thankful today that this thread is multi-faith, especially when I'm currently listening to the awful news about fighting between Christians and Muslims in the Central African Republic sad

Also that DS and DD had good days at school / the CM
For my cat, who is lovely.
For the ability in our country to all follow our religions.

stressedHEmum Thu 09-Jan-14 10:03:13

One of the greatest blessings of this thread is that it is multi-faith. It is so very important that we respect and love each other and that we focus on the things that we have in common rather than the things that are different. The news from the CAR is awful. I can never understand why people from religions that are essentially very peaceful and tolerant can think that they are doing the right thing by engaging in such violence and hate.

gratitudes
freedom and the rule of law
God's great mercy and the peace that it brings
beautiful flowers
children are all well
hot fruit tea and a warm house

crescentmoon Thu 09-Jan-14 10:38:42

i find stories about peaceful coexistence between the world faiths a very good antidote to the depressive news out of central african republic,
burma, afghanistan, the west bank and gaza, etc.

https://www.coexistcampaign.org/stories/stories-of-coexistence-2013

some of the stories in the link above are really surprising, the one that surprised me most was about the syrian war refugees:men women and children being quietly treated in israeli hospitals. such stories and many more thousands of people of different faiths living alongside each other peacefully all around the world just don't fit what warmongers on all sides and stripes want. its a great sadness to me what happens to minority christian populations in countries such as pakistan. muslim minorities complain about being blamed for Al qaida here in the west as those peaceful christians in the ME and asia get blamed for US foreign policy. with the ME especially, its very sad over the last decade the degradation in relations between ME christians and muslims who had coexisted alongside each other for centuries in syria, iraq, egypt etc. i always pray for peace.

gratitudes today:

il carry on a tradition here of borrowing a gratitude from another list:

wings
1.For the ability in our country to all follow our religions,
2.for living in a peaceful country where rule of law dominates far more than many other nations - for me that is the most special and important,
3. for living in a powerful country that is not beholden to other nations or at the helpless mercy of war decisions far away,
4. for being able to pass onto my children the protection and the privileges of citizenship.
5.grateful that i am insulated from the extremes of poverty and war

Annunziata Thu 09-Jan-14 19:34:17

It is so lovely to see our thread filling up smile

gratitudes:
being able to clean and make things new

sugar4eva Thu 09-Jan-14 20:32:55

For daffodil bulbs growing ,for fairy lights in the dark , for our wood burner, for being able to stay positive when my tumble dryer died today instead of panic re replacement and remembering it has worked more than it has been broken !

WingDefence Thu 09-Jan-14 21:41:13

Ditto to your Gratitudes today crescent.

Also for good friends, newborn snuggles, piping hot water on tap for showers!

Poledra Thu 09-Jan-14 22:16:43

For the car on my lap and the one cuddled up against my leg!

Poledra Thu 09-Jan-14 22:17:26

And that should be cat, not car...

Annunziata Fri 10-Jan-14 15:27:03

gratitudes
peace and quiet for 10 minutes
coffee
family recipes

sugar4eva Fri 10-Jan-14 19:26:59

An ordered ish house, ds enthusiasm for his a levels, the energy of teens, a nice glass of wine by the fire. For behind uninterested in designer stuff; liberating. ( just been talk to dh who gave his Christmas money to disaster fund and we got to talking re stuff like that)

WingDefence Fri 10-Jan-14 19:32:37

Thankful that it's Friday!

BluBurd Fri 10-Jan-14 22:15:29

Hi all, new to gratitudes and would like to join in here smile

I am grateful for having a chat with my SIL and putting her mind at rest.

I am grateful for a visit from my best friend and her lovely baby that never fails to cheer me up.

I am grateful for my partner who popped in with some new towels he bought for me.

I am grateful for my children who make me smile every day and remind me to have fun.

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Fri 10-Jan-14 23:26:17

I am thankful for:
DS is safe and asleep upstairs and his biggest worries are about which after-school clubs to join.
Most of the traumas in my life were pre-social media
Friends who accept me even with all my shortcomings
Being part of several communities
Loving my job and the people I work with
Fish and chips when I'm late home and haven't been to the supermarket
The methodist church app so that I can use its daily bible study wherever and whenever it is convenient - really saved me on very difficult days this week, being able to take time-out and read and meditate on the bible

stressedHEmum Sat 11-Jan-14 12:56:34

lessening of pain todaysmile
16 hours of straight sleep
painkillers
light hugs from the children
that they are old enough now, to more or less deal with themselves when I can't
DS3 ironed his first shirt yesterdaygrin - the first of many I hope
food, water, shelter and safety
friends and family

Annunziata Sat 11-Jan-14 13:07:28

Welcome bluburd!

sunshine
getting washing out (hurray!)

WingDefence Sat 11-Jan-14 14:05:29

stressed I'd love that amount of sleep! Not through illness though.
Welcome bluburd smile

So much to be thankful for today:
Sunshine and blue skies
Baking fun with DS
A marriage strengthened through faith

crescentmoon Sat 11-Jan-14 19:46:19

gratitudes:

finding a lovely new cover for the ipad at my local charity shop for 99p - im dead chuffed!
being invited out with my dc by lovely friends,
that the kids didnt embarress me too much,
for the gift of a lovely cup of tea,
for simple pleasures

crescentmoon Sat 11-Jan-14 19:46:38

(oh and welcome blueburd too!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now