Taking communion in a Catholic Church, question please!

(14 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Fri 03-Jan-14 22:27:56

Thank you all that's interesting. She took communion at school mass so it was part of the service, I am not entirely sure what happens at the first communion service but is it very different to mass? When she was confirmed it was a special service after school but basically just a mass and then the Bishop confirmed them.

juule Wed 01-Jan-14 13:26:30

I agree with babysamrocks. The first time she takes communion is her first communion. She has just done it informally rather than with the ceremony.

Babysamrocks Mon 30-Dec-13 11:53:06

If she received the eucharist at her confirmation she can receive at anytime.

Gingerdodger Mon 30-Dec-13 10:50:18

I thought you had to do reconciliation first too before First Holy Communion. In some ways I can understand them doing it later as I think it is the most difficult and stressful but have to admit can't quite get my head around them doing it before FHC.

Gingerdodger Mon 30-Dec-13 10:50:01

I thought you had to do reconciliation first too before First Holy Communion. In some ways I can understand them doing it later as I think it is the most difficult and stressful but have to admit can't quite get my head around them doing it before FHC.

moldingsunbeams Sat 28-Dec-13 12:12:35

In our area its changed to confirmation - communion - confession. Which baffles me because I thought they would do confession before communion.

They are playing catch up at the moment so all those in year 4 are doing confirmation and communion together, dds class two years ago was first year 4 to do confirmation in year 4 in our area, they had done first communion in year 2 apart from dd as we moved. DD will do confession during Lent with her year 6 class if she is allowed then do communion in May.

Gingerdodger Sat 28-Dec-13 09:10:02

Confirmation comes first in some diocese, it goes reconciliation, confirmation, First Holy Communion in ours all with in a few months. Personally think confirmation should happen when they are older and 7/8 is too young.

She shouldn't take communion until she has done the First Holy Communion as the preparation is all about understanding the sacrament. Kids of all ages tend to end up doing it along with the Year 3s as there is always someone who missed the previous year, moved schools or something so wouldn't worry about that.

First Holy Communion is very special so you have a lovely day to look forward too.

AgadorSpartacus Sat 28-Dec-13 09:07:21

It's fairly wide spread now to take the sacrements in theorder Confession, Confirmation, Communion. This is not unusual in fact it's most commonplace. This is done within one school year.

I took them Confession, Communion, Confirmation and was surprised to hear that the order has changed.

Agree with Oblomov. Just wait until she has taken her First Communion and receive a blessing until then.

MistressDeeCee Sat 28-Dec-13 09:01:34

Thats what Im wondering. Its 1st Confession, then 1st Holy Communion, then confirmation comes afterwards. I was raised a Catholic & have never heard of being able to be confirmed, without taking Communion.

ethelb Sat 28-Dec-13 08:39:44

How did she get confirmed without first communion?

wigglesrock Sat 28-Dec-13 07:07:55

The timing of confessions has changed in our parish. My dd made her confession the year before her communion. My nephew did the two within a few months - all of us did as kids as well.

moldingsunbeams Fri 27-Dec-13 20:29:23

Thanks, I thought so.

She is already doing the preparation for it and takes it next year, there is also some confusion as her class are doing first confession during lent and some places say two years after first communion, others say she could take it with her class! I did ask priest but he was not really clear.

She is not going to the secondary Catholic feeder school so that isn't an issue for school long story.

Oblomov Fri 27-Dec-13 20:21:51

She must not take it. Get her on the list for the next holy communion ASAP, in your local church.
Ds1 did his. 2 boys in his class missed it. So they did it the following year. No one battered an eye lid.
You have to have a certificate. It needs to be presented when ds1 makes his application to the catholic secondary school.

moldingsunbeams Fri 27-Dec-13 20:16:12

DD is Catholic, I am not.
DD is confirmed but missed her Holy Communion as we moved during preparation and at the time they switched it all around to confirmation first in our parish.

When they gave communion at school teacher asked if she had been confirmed and she said yes so was given communion, however she has not done first communion so I thought she should not take Holy Communion until then?

She is worrying so wondered if anyone knew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now