5yo dd blaming God for everything. 'Why can't God just make it Friday so i can have Golden time today?'

(90 Posts)
EweHaveGoatToBeSkiddinInSnow Tue 03-Dec-13 10:27:47

It's really irritating me. We're both Catholics (me not a practicing one, though) and dd attends a Catholic school.

These past few weeks, she's been going on about God and bombarding me with questions such as "Who made God?" "What was there before God?" "How can God be everywhere at the same time?"

I've answered as well as i could.

But now she's blaming God for every little thing. And it's these ones I'm struggling with.

"Why can't God just make it my birthday today?"

"Why can't God make me turn into a kitten instead of being a human?"

"Why can't God make me fly?"

"Why can't God make someone else have my cough?"

Etc etc etc. God is being blamed for such things 3-5 times a day in my house.

I've explained to her this morning about the Golden Time/Friday thing that it was humans who invented the idea of days and time etc, so it's nothing to do with God. But then she spun it around that God was the one who made humans and gave them their brains to think about naming the days in the first place.

Any ideas?

headinhands Thu 26-Dec-13 19:58:24

How are you able to trust the validity of your encounters while rejecting the encounters people have with other gods? A desire to die for ones faith is by no means particular to Catholicism. Strength of conviction is no indicator of the reality of the beliefs otherwise all manner of contradictory beliefs are true, which is impossible/nonsense.

technodad Thu 26-Dec-13 21:16:50

Honey.

Regarding my post below about god's creator.

Do you have an opinion?

technodad Thu 26-Dec-13 23:13:10

Honey?

technodad Fri 27-Dec-13 19:13:32

Hello?

sunnyspot Fri 27-Dec-13 20:46:37

td - serious question, don't you ever get bored of de railing threads and insulting people who believe?

technodad Fri 27-Dec-13 20:58:13

Sunny.

I joined the thread long after it had been "derailed" as you call it.

Why is my question not valid. honey says that the world is her "evidence" of god. I think my question is relevant to her statement.

msmiggins Fri 27-Dec-13 21:10:20

The OP was asking for ideas-

"But then she spun it around that God was the one who made humans and gave them their brains to think about naming the days in the first place.
Any ideas?"
The OP didn't actually ask for ideas only from Catholics or believers.
I technodad's ideas are as valid as any and a great deal more sensible than most.

I think the idea that we spoonfeed dogma to 5 year olds needs to be challenged if the OP was serioulsy askimg for "ideas". Why can't we have a reasoned discussion? THe OP's daughter sounds amazingly sensible.

headinhands Fri 27-Dec-13 21:38:25

Maybe the op could try sidestepping her dd's logical questions by repeating sunny's 'don't you ever get bored of insulting my beliefs' type responses. That way she wouldn't have to formulate a reasoned and coherent explanation.

technodad Fri 27-Dec-13 21:44:24

Or maybe try saying "Just be quiet, or you will go to hell".

Honey. Are you still there. I am really interested in your opinion regarding the creators creator.

Thanks.

msmiggins Fri 27-Dec-13 21:44:53

I think the reason the OP is finding it so difficult to explain to her daughter is that none of it makes any sense to anyone. Even to the believers- religion is so full of holes and contradictions it sometimes takes a 5 year old to show that with clarity. Kids are good at that- seeing things as they really are.

headinhands Fri 27-Dec-13 21:50:05

Yes Mrs, out of the mouths of babes as it were grin

technodad Fri 27-Dec-13 22:14:25

Interestingly, I never got annoyed with my DD when she was 5 and constantly asking questions (well, maybe the word "why" might have grated once or twice, maybe).

There were some really easy questions like:
"Daddy, why is the sky blue?" which got a short answer about how the the light from the sun has all colours, and that blue light gets spread around in the sky more than the other colours when the light hits the gasses in the sky, so it looks lovely and blue.

There are some emotionally difficult questions like "what happens to Nanny now she is dead" which got an answer along the lines of "different people believe different things, but the only thing we know for sure is that she isn't alive anymore, and her body will turn into compost and feed the plants, which will feed the animals, and keep creating life for ever".

There are some hard questions like: "why am I me?", which got an answer like "I don't know, and no one knows. Maybe you will be the person who finds out the answer when you are older".

The answer "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer (perhaps the best and most honest answer). I don't really understand why people feel they have to have an answer to every question (or make one up with some inane fiction). It is a bit sad really, since the unknown is one of the most exciting things in life!

msmiggins Fri 27-Dec-13 22:20:56

TD - I agree- I was never irritated by thoughtful questions- it's a pity that the OP is. And since the OP is the one with faith I though she would be well qualified to answer these fundamental questions about her own faith. It speaks volumes about how some people blindly follow without really giving too much thought about what they actually believe in.

technodad Fri 27-Dec-13 22:29:09

Maybe Sunnyspot knows who made god?

technodad Sat 28-Dec-13 18:50:07

Anyone there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now