So I had this child from the local Catholic church for a playdate...

(134 Posts)
SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 11:52:24

We were playing school and they decided it was assembly time.

So Catholic Child (7) stood up and started speaking about catholic faith and Jesus, and how Catholics are wonderful people who help whoever is in need and the elderly, and how Jesus will bless all the Christians when they die and they will all go to heaven, and how it is important to be a Christian and go to Catholic Church and say prayers regularly.

Than Muslin Child (6) followed saying that she is a Muslin and so is her family and lots of her friends and they are also good people who help the ones in need and the elderly too, and it doesn't matter your religion or which church you go to as long and we respect each other and don't do bad things.

Than Catholic child was embarrassed and said that she meant to say everything Muslin child said....

Than my own child (6) stands up and do a comedy piece that got nothing to do with religion.

I was just astounded that these children shows so much religion awareness at this age and the Catholic child would feel the urge to bring religion in the playing, although I understand this is probably what happens all the time at her school.
I am so glad my daughter doesn't go to that school.
I am very proud of the Muslin girl and she just goes to a mixed community school, which seems that is doing a better job about teaching R.E

Oh and I have had the catholic child for a sleep over once and she had trouble falling asleep since I couldn't pray and sing christian songs exactly like her parents do every night. I did my best.

I can't help feeling a bit sorry for this kid.

And I am Christian by the way.

Oh and forgot to say: Catholic girl spent most of half term in her house in order not to be exposed to Halloween stuff going on and in fact on Halloween day they never left the house because apparently this a bad and heavy day when lots of evil things happens.

I am not mad at halloween either and I don't go trick or treating mainly because I am on the shy side but I am solo glad there are Halloween activities going on during the half term.

Oakmaiden Thu 07-Nov-13 22:26:34

MeMy - that is what you get when your only source of info is internet based - thank you for correcting me. It isn't something I know anything about personally - just was interested by the thread so did some poking around smile

MeMySonAndI Wed 06-Nov-13 19:50:19

Stukes? Styles! Even

MeMySonAndI Wed 06-Nov-13 19:49:39

Oak, that is not a sect but a way of worship, you see this "sect" workshiping happily in bog standard catholic churches during the week.

As someone mentioned, there are different stukes if worshiping and despite all being catholic, the differences between country to country, and region to region can be huge, without them making them less catholics.

And yes, speaking in tongues can happen, even during catholic praying...

willyoulistentome Tue 05-Nov-13 23:01:27

Sounds very odd and not typical at all.
Yesterday I actually had SIX Catholic children over for a playdate/party. NOBODY said grace when we ate, mentioned Jesus or prayed. (They played on Minecraft!). SOME Catholics are against Halloween. They don't really talk about it either way, at our school like they do in some, but I know for a fact that several of the kids we had over yesterday went trick or treating, as have we, in the past. (Managed to dodge having to do it it this year as we were away - phew)

ethelb Tue 05-Nov-13 22:53:57

Well why didnt you at any stage differentiate? They sound pretty niche, and arguably any sect isnt truely catholic. Quite literally.

SweetSkull Tue 05-Nov-13 21:51:40

Ah, thanks Oak for finding and posting this information here.

I could post various links here, the girl's school/the church by the school/the church her family attends/the name of the charismatic group I am talking about...

But that would be too much RL info...

Oakmaiden Tue 05-Nov-13 21:29:42

That is interesting, actually. I have just gone away and done a bit of digging, and apparently there is a sect of the Roman Catholic Church called the Catholic Charismatic renewal who worship "outside mass" and do faith healing, speaking in tongues and stuff. I didn't know that.

SweetSkull Tue 05-Nov-13 21:18:08

Thanks Oakmaiden for your input as a teacher.

The priest IS the focus during the mass, however these immigrants have permission to use one of the church rooms to congregate, pray, discuss and speak in tongues, sing/dance in their foreign language. Of course they appreciate and respect the priest and the mass but they also want to praise in their language. Lots of them don't even speak proper English.

Oakmaiden Tue 05-Nov-13 21:12:00

Though actually looking at the 2nd to last post from the OP - speaking in tongues and the priest not being the focus does NOT sound at all Roman Catholic... If I remember my history correctly, one of the main reasons for the protestant churches splitting off from the catholic was to do with the place of the priest a a conduit to God... or something to that effect...

Oakmaiden Tue 05-Nov-13 21:09:28

I think there are catholic schools and catholic schools, to be honest. I taught for one day (supply teacher) in a RC school, and it was VERY religious. An awful lot of praying and crossing themselves, and most of the lessons had a religious "slant" to them - in a fairly primary school way that is. As a confirmed atheist it was a true test of my professionalism...

SO I quite easily believe that this child's school might have things that the OP has mentioned going on in their assembly...

SweetSkull Tue 05-Nov-13 21:02:14

Of course I am sure they are Catholic, my English isn't amazing but I am not dumb.

This family attends a catholic church that is at least 1 hour away from their home. It is a Catholic church with a Catholic priest. The reason why they are willing to travel there every week is because after the traditional mass, the immigrants congregate in a room and do their thing in their language.

They do go to the Catholic church situated in front of the Catholic school only when there is school function or they are invited for a Christening, 1st Communion, etc...

msmiggins Tue 05-Nov-13 20:27:21

Halloeen can be traced back much further than the beginnings of christianity.
silver-fish.hubpages.com/hub/halloween-turnips

ethelb Tue 05-Nov-13 20:20:37

So now she is a child who goes ot the local catholic church who doesn't actually go to the local catholic church.

Are you sure they are catholic? That church sounds like an evangelical church.

SweetSkull Tue 05-Nov-13 11:11:59

I'm not sure about what you are trying to say nor what you are implying by saying "it's odd"

Honestly I can't comprehend why some people here are having hard time in believing in my OP.

Also bare in mind that these child's parents are Catholics from other country so their way to practicise their faith might be not similar to the way people are used to do overhere. They also travel to the city centre every weekend to worship with people from their country is this special group created from and to immigrants from this particular country, when there are plenty of Catholic churches near where they live...even the church in front of the school their child go to....but I can not comment further on Catholic practices differing between countries since I'm not Catholic. However I visited their group once after their baby baptism and during a prayer after the ceremony, some people spoke in languages, whatever it means.....there were also some singing and dancing involved and the priest wasn't participating, so I guess this isn't very traditional.

Also, in the country where they (we) come from, Halloween is not celebrated at all. It's not part of our culture and nobody cares, most people don't even know what it is.

ethelb Tue 05-Nov-13 09:56:46

It's odd that you had a catholic round who behaved like a particuarly 'heavy going' christian from an evangelical church about halloween. hmm

MeMySonAndI Mon 04-Nov-13 20:24:10

I'm surrounded by Catholics, some are very religious, some are moderate and most, like me, are non practicing Catholics. My son attends a catholic school and I have not encountered a child like the one you mention... But once.

I was putting them to bed during a sleepover, and she (5 yr old) fell quite dramatically on her knees by the side of a bed for her prayers then looked back at DS and recoiled in horror before saying WHAT?!?!? doesn't he pray at night??? there was such intensity in her words I still cringe at the memory. Her mum was very verbal about her belief that Catholics hold the absolute truth. Admittedly she belonged to the Opus but... I suppose every religion has its share of fanatical/extremist people...

SweetSkull Mon 04-Nov-13 20:20:12

Dione that is your experience. It does not mean everyone's is the same.
Pretend you are at a playground in a area/country you have just moved in, you are a foreigner and does not speak the language and have no many friends leaving near by. Now you meet someone who is from your country, speak your language and also has similar religious belief (at least the main part which is Christianism). On top of that your children are similar age and get on well together. See how it was easy to exchange numbers and develop a friendship? She didn't send her daughter for a sleep over straight away, but after a year or so.

Ionnika yep inconsistencies. You want to believe I am a liar. Fine.

lonnika Mon 04-Nov-13 20:01:34

MMM lots of inconsistencies

If her family were religious zealots then they would not compromise this for 'childcare' smile

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 04-Nov-13 19:16:13

Well her mum obviously does mix. She mixed sufficiently with you in the park to trust you enough to look after her DD overnight. I have never met anyone in the park that I have swapped numbers with, nevermind develop such a strong friendship.

SweetSkull Sun 03-Nov-13 22:41:27

nope. she knew this muslim friend is always around and she knew muslim friend was already with me when she asked for the play date. funny how her religious priorities change when she is in need, hence the sleep over.

did also not leave the house on Halloween day fearing something evil and sinister would happen?

ixqic Sun 03-Nov-13 22:28:11

"Not leaving the house to avoid exposure to halloween merchandising not so fine."
For this reason alone I don't want to leave the house. grin

"the only time this child have contact with non Christian people is when she is with me because her mum doesn't mix"
Then I should think that her mum will fall out with you when she finds out you are exposing her to muslins. hmm

SweetSkull Sun 03-Nov-13 18:39:47

Ionnika, I said 'sheltered' life more for lack of better word. Did you notice the " ".?

And to be honest the only time this child have contact with non Christian people is when she is with me because her mum doesn't mix. In fact if I wasn't Christian myself she wouldn't be such a close friend, I don't think.

SweetSkull Sun 03-Nov-13 18:31:18

sassh I was so shocked by the other girls ability to discuss religion that at that time and even now I don't know what to make of my daughter's reaction.

Oblomov Sun 03-Nov-13 18:04:21

Ds's at catholic school. They discuss all religions lovingly. And know that many people do not believe in any god or have any following.
Ds1 visited a Sikh temple last week.
So I don't think your findings are across the board.

sashh Sun 03-Nov-13 17:55:20

OP

Love the idea of your child doing the comedy sketch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now