So I had this child from the local Catholic church for a playdate...

(134 Posts)
SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 11:52:24

We were playing school and they decided it was assembly time.

So Catholic Child (7) stood up and started speaking about catholic faith and Jesus, and how Catholics are wonderful people who help whoever is in need and the elderly, and how Jesus will bless all the Christians when they die and they will all go to heaven, and how it is important to be a Christian and go to Catholic Church and say prayers regularly.

Than Muslin Child (6) followed saying that she is a Muslin and so is her family and lots of her friends and they are also good people who help the ones in need and the elderly too, and it doesn't matter your religion or which church you go to as long and we respect each other and don't do bad things.

Than Catholic child was embarrassed and said that she meant to say everything Muslin child said....

Than my own child (6) stands up and do a comedy piece that got nothing to do with religion.

I was just astounded that these children shows so much religion awareness at this age and the Catholic child would feel the urge to bring religion in the playing, although I understand this is probably what happens all the time at her school.
I am so glad my daughter doesn't go to that school.
I am very proud of the Muslin girl and she just goes to a mixed community school, which seems that is doing a better job about teaching R.E

Oh and I have had the catholic child for a sleep over once and she had trouble falling asleep since I couldn't pray and sing christian songs exactly like her parents do every night. I did my best.

I can't help feeling a bit sorry for this kid.

And I am Christian by the way.

Oh and forgot to say: Catholic girl spent most of half term in her house in order not to be exposed to Halloween stuff going on and in fact on Halloween day they never left the house because apparently this a bad and heavy day when lots of evil things happens.

I am not mad at halloween either and I don't go trick or treating mainly because I am on the shy side but I am solo glad there are Halloween activities going on during the half term.

Jakebullet Sat 02-Nov-13 12:19:52

My son attends the local Catholic school, we are Catholic. Do invite him for a play date, he will bore the pants off you about .............Minecraft!

I doubt "religion" would cross his mind once.

ixqic Sat 02-Nov-13 12:20:13

Littered not 'limited'

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:20:35

I am in London for 8 years.
Originally from South America.

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:23:17

READ THE OP.
I SAID I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE SO MUCH RELIGION AWARENESS IN SUCH YOUNG CHILDREN AT A PLAYDATE.
THAT IS WHY I OPENED THE THREAD AS THIS IS NOT LEAVING MY MIND
JUST REPORT THE THREAD IF YOU THINK IT IS A JOKE, OR I AM RACIST, OR GOADING OR WHATEVER.

Sorry for shouting but I get frustrated now a days with people who does not read the OP and try to make it out to be something sinister.

* I have just reported the inappropriate post myself*

ixqic Sat 02-Nov-13 12:24:01

Yeah well, Feliz día de Los Muertos. A centroamericana here.

No need to shout. And I read the OP more than once.

Tee2072 Sat 02-Nov-13 12:24:11

It has nothing to do with your English, although Muslin and Muslim are not at all the same thing, of course, but with your differentiating between the children's religions for what reason?

You could have told the same story without mentioning what kind of school the children attend.

And now you're yelling? Nice.

Isildur Sat 02-Nov-13 12:24:26

Ah London - sorry, thought you might be abroad.

The hysteria about Halloween tends to be confined to more evangelical' churches. Catholics tend not to get so het up about it, as it is really just the eve of All Saints/Souls.

Perhaps the girl's family have a different take on it, but it's probably a cultural influence as opposed to a Catholic one.

Jakebullet Sat 02-Nov-13 12:25:20

I surprised that such young children spontaneously came up with all this. DS attends church ....he moans but attends. I doubt he would think he was superior to anyone else or even associate being kind with being "what Catholics do".
He is kind because I have taught him to be kind and help others. Being Catholic has nothing to do with it at all.

Am shocked that such young children would say such stuff.
Perhaps you could have reminded them that people can be kind without religion.

Honestly my DS has only one religion at the moment and that is Minecraft grin. As I said previously he would honestly bore the pants off you about it.

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:27:12

*It has nothing to do with your English, although Muslin and Muslim are not at all the same thing, of course, but with your differentiating between the children's religions for what reason?

You could have told the same story without mentioning what kind of school the children attend.

And now you're yelling? Nice.*

I am differentiating about children's religion because they started doing it themselves. Did you read the OP ?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 02-Nov-13 12:27:47

Oh God, I'm howling at the FUCK PLAYDATE shouts capitals OP's own and the muslin

Sorry - I know it's very bad form to point out spelling errors OP and I'm certainly very impressed with your written English when it's your second language. It's just, I don't think your post had quite the response you were looking for do thought it might cheer you up to know I think it was very funny grin

SantanaLopez Sat 02-Nov-13 12:28:56

Isn't South America something like 85% Catholic? Surely you've come across children recreating school before?

My SIL (she's 5) doesn't like going to sleep without her prayers, it's just part of her routine.

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:29:18

Thanks Jakebullet, that is how I feel and you get it.
It is good to know I am not going mad. Or am racist to to be surprised about this.

Yes if was totally spontaneous.

ThisIsBULLSHIT Sat 02-Nov-13 12:29:20

FUCK PLAYDATE grin confused

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 02-Nov-13 12:29:28

Can everyone please stop earnestly saying muslin I don't think my pelvic floor can cope!

I went to a convent prep school in the seventies and even then we made halloween gubbins.

<,thinks fondly of her dishmop, zif lemon head witch>>

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 02-Nov-13 12:30:38

<clutches Bullshit>

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:31:06

The only responde I didn't want to hear is that I am racist, or making a joke since I am genuine.
And I could have written better I know.

LOLisNOTaPunctuationMark Sat 02-Nov-13 12:31:09

I'm Roman Catholic. So is my 5yo daughter. She attends a Catholic school.

They attend mass once a month with the school. They have a 10 minute story from the Children's Bible twice a week at school. They will say a Hail Mary each morning for the sick, and a Grace before Meals before lunch. That's it.

Oh, they also do a Nativity each year (as do lots of schools).

And they love Halloween! They had a Halloween show last week where all the infants sang spooky songs for the parents. And last night was the Halloween disco.

And they have a huge art display for Fireworks night hanging proudly at reception.

There is nothing forced on them. There is nothing 'heavy' taught to them. They are taught about all different religions once they get to about P.3. They are taught to show love and respect to people - not because they are Catholics, but because they are humans.
They are not taught that they are in some way superior because of their religion.

And this was the same when I was at school. All throughout primary and high school. Although in High School, we had RE twice a week. But those classes were spent learning about other religions, going to visit other places of worship, fund raising for charities, learning to respect people's beliefs and faith whatever they may be.

In my opinion, the Catholic child in the OP learnt that speech from her parents/family. That kind of thing would not be taught at school.

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:31:18

response

ixqic Sat 02-Nov-13 12:33:52

Op the reason people wonder if this is a state v faith school post is because MN is full of dead threads on this topic from its inception. And those venal Catholics always get dragged into it.

LOLisNOTaPunctuationMark Sat 02-Nov-13 12:34:35

I don't know exactly how this Catholic school operates but I just assumed their assembly is a opportunity to talk about catholic religion since this is what this girl did.

My daughter's assemblies are used to give awards out to pupils, to discuss upcoming events, and for some children to get up and show off their class work. Not to discuss Catholicism or any other religion.

SweetSkull Sat 02-Nov-13 12:34:35

I just mentioned their school because all the children go to different schools and they were playing school.
I mentioned religion because 2 kids from very different religions came uo spontaneously with this subject.

So a part from spelling mistakes, shouting and swearing, what else Am I doing wrong in opening this thread?

ixqic Sat 02-Nov-13 12:37:27

See my post at 12:33 to see what you are doing 'wrong'.

Tee2072 Sat 02-Nov-13 12:38:21

So the children stood up and said 'I'm 7 and I'm Catholic'?

Because that's not what your OP says.

edam Sat 02-Nov-13 12:40:49

That does sound like a very strange experience. Not surprised you posted about it. Sorry people are being mean to you.

Feel a little sorry the girl who couldn't go to sleep without prayers done the way her parents do them. Bedtimes are when fears come out and children like routine - but of course you would have no idea and it's very kind of you to make the attempt.

When ds has friends for sleep-overs, we have to make an excuse to sneak off and say his bed-time prayers and songs because he's a little embarrassed about anyone overhearing. But still needs the ritual. (For him, it's a way of warding off nightmares, rather than a particularly religious experience - I'm sure God, if He exists, will understand...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now