Evidence of Ghosts

(93 Posts)
technodad Sat 26-Oct-13 19:58:25

Apparently I am not welcome to discuss the existance of ghosts on a thread started by someone who believes in them, so I thought I would start my own thread.

Everyone is welcome, you can all insult me as much as you want. I don't care if you try to offend me and my deeply held "beliefs".

So, my question:

Has anyone had a first hand experience of paranormal activity, and got a photo or video that they prove the existance of ghosts. If so, please can you post it (or a link to it on photobox or youtube), because I am intreagued what level of "evidence" people accept. - Please only post you own experience, with evidence, since, as you can imagine, if you say "I heard a noise in my kitchen" you will likely get told it was the fridge motor.

Thread warning - apparently (according to people on other threads), I am a complete bastard, and may say something on this thread that you find more offensive than you possibly can imagine... I may even say the phrase "ghosts don't exist", which may cause you to cry. Please only join in if you can cope with such aggression! wink

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:03:35

I believe there may be areas of physics that will explain the experiences some people have of 'ghosts' at some point in the future, with research.

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:18:09

<pipes infrasound into thread to revive it>

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 21:28:12

Well, that's a shame.

I think there is room in this Topic for discussion, but it seems I've wandered into an Agenda hmm

technodad Sat 26-Oct-13 21:34:39

I am happy to discuss.

I personally think all the scientific knowledge is already there.

I wasn't intending to ignore you, I was just waiting to see if anyone else joined in.

No agenda.

CoteDAzur Sat 26-Oct-13 21:36:50

" I may even say the phrase "ghosts don't exist", which may cause you to cry. Please only join in if you can cope with such aggression!"

grin

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 21:43:26

I'd disagree with that, techno.

You bring forward someone from the 1500s and show them electricity in action. That's where I think we're up to with investigating things paranormal.

technodad Sat 26-Oct-13 21:47:32

I think it is more "normal" than "paranormal" and it is all either in out heads, or real life stuff that we misinterpret.

Hopefully, someone has some solid evidence for the thread.

There was talk of photos with figures in the background and videos with floating orbs in the last thread.

DearDinah Sat 26-Oct-13 21:52:48

I had a spooky photo once of a funny place name in Cornwall, we took a photo of it in the dark & when it came out there was a horrible distorted figure standing behind it, I thought it was a ghost for ages, until it dawned on me that it was actually me, I was horribly drunk & forgot I got into the picture.

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 21:55:14

I've got a photo of a spooky cot somewhere.

technodad Sat 26-Oct-13 21:58:32

I went onto youtube to find a discussion point to get things moving.

So, here is a video with an "orb" that some idiot has posted on youtube, which is claimed as a ghost in the back yard youtu.be/LfP4ypwJNVA

This is very very obviously a small bug (thunder bug or small ant), walking around on the inside of the lens, or on the CCD of the video camera. You can tell by the characteristics of the movements, and sometimes even make out the blurred scurrying legs.

Or this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTl6Ml6vMWE where they are all dust reflecting the light of a flash, or film processing problems (I love the comentry though!).

technodad Sat 26-Oct-13 21:59:12

DearDinah - Brilliant! I love it!

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 22:04:29

You are right, techno.

There is no evidence caught on film that proves the existence of ghosts.

Evidence must be found with research in the field, as it were, because it can't be proved via audiovisual means at this point in time.

Azquilith Sat 26-Oct-13 22:06:47

Love DearDinah!

Moxiegirl Sat 26-Oct-13 22:09:13

No argument from me, they don't exist!

technodad Sat 26-Oct-13 22:10:04

WereTricksPotter

What evidence are you talking of, and how is it recorded that enables it to be challenged using the scientific method?

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 22:19:29

You'd need to make sure that the photo/video evidence was genuine i.e investigating every last pixel

It would need to be available to every method of investigation and able to be stripped back to its component parts.

Evidence is a 'machine' in this respect. You have to be able to take it apart and put it back together again.

Shallishanti Sat 26-Oct-13 23:06:53

maybe we should define what is meant by 'ghosts'?
I can easily accept there may be things as yet unexplained by science - but I've never been convinced by any of the 'unexplained happenings' people who believe in ghosts cite. Seen too much Derren Brown.

sunbathe Sat 26-Oct-13 23:14:27

So, if there are no ghosts, are you assuming that everyone's lying when they say they've seen a ghost? Or misinterpreting something?

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 23:15:57

Misinterpreting something.

Shallishanti Sat 26-Oct-13 23:27:20

yes, misinterpreting something (generous) or winding up other people/lying- in either case, 'ghosts' is a category suggested by our culture.

technodad Sun 27-Oct-13 07:16:00

WereTricksPotter said

"You'd need to make sure that the photo/video evidence was genuine i.e investigating every last pixel

It would need to be available to every method of investigation and able to be stripped back to its component parts.

Evidence is a 'machine' in this respect. You have to be able to take it apart and put it back together again."

I think (although I am not sure), you believe that some "paranormal events" do actually occur, but they are not ghosts and that we can explain them when science catches up. Have I interpreted this correctly?

If so, can you define the sort of "event" you are referring to, and like I say, suggest some way of measuring the event?

Thanks

WereTricksPotter Sun 27-Oct-13 08:37:55

A typical 'ghost' sighting, for instance.
If I saw a figure in the cellar of a building and it seemed to be standing lower down than the present day floor then I believe that could be some manifestation of Time and physics anomaly leading me to see a figure from the past.

Or poltergeist activity. Just because we don't yet know where the physical force comes from doesn't mean there isn't an explanation as yet undiscovered by science.

I don't mind being shot down in flames for saying this btw! DH and I have some fantastic heated debates about this sort of stuff thlgrin

I both do and don't believe in paranormal activity btw. Some individual accounts can't be put down to attention seeking, or mental health issues.

MrPricklepants Sun 27-Oct-13 08:42:20

I thought I saw a ghost once next to my bedroom door, it turned out to be my dressing gown.

OP no one will post with 'evidence' because ghosts don't exist. Any sightings of ghosts can usually be easily explained and if not it's our weird brains playing tricks on us.

MrPricklepants Sun 27-Oct-13 08:44:11

And as a physicist can I also say I don't believe in 'time physics' anomalies where you think you're seeing a glimpse of the past or the future. It's your brain, an amazing organ that plays tricks on us all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now