Bible stories with a moral for simple drama exercise

(20 Posts)
MegTheCat Fri 27-Sep-13 20:30:34

I like the water into wine one

Ok bible refs
Smug or sorry Luke 18:9-14
Good Samaritan Luke 10:25-37
Lost sheep Luke 15:1-7 (same chapter for the lost son)
Bridesmaids Matthew 25:1-13
You could have fun with the story in Luke 11:5-10. Also Luke 11:11-13 - (if your son asks for a fish would you give him a snake) - not quite a story but fun to act out

StitchingMoss Fri 27-Sep-13 07:08:15

grin

ReallyTired Thu 26-Sep-13 23:11:22

Our sunday school did Jesus at the Wedding of cana turning the water into wine. (aka Ribenia!)

Waiter 1: Jesus! we have run out of wine!
Waiter 2: You got to be joking. This is going to be embrassing. What will the guests think.
(Waiters run round franatically)
Jesus: Don't worry. Fill the pitchers with water.
(Get child to fill a clear jug with water. Make sure that the audience sees the clear jug full of water)
Waiter 1: They aren't going to want water.
Waiter 2: Prehaps some water isn't a bad idea, it will sober them up!
Waiter 1: If they sober up then they will realise we haven't ordered enough wine.
Waiter 2: Jesus...

(While this conversation is going on add the ribena to the water)

Jesus: I told you not to worry. Go on pour out a glass.
(Waiters both have a glass)
Waiters: Hmmn this nice. I think we really need to do some more testing. hic!
Guest1: When are we going to toast the bride and groom
Waiters serve out wine to the guests.
Guest 2: This wine is the best I have never tasted.
Guest3: The bride's family have saved the best wine until last.

StitchingMoss Thu 26-Sep-13 22:37:04

Bible refs would be great - happy to adapt! Thank you smile.

MegTheCat Thu 26-Sep-13 21:16:24

Lots of the parables would work well for acting out and do have a moral. As well as the good samaritan there's the pharisee and the tax collector (aka mr smug & mr sorry); the bridesmaids (wise and foolish), the talents. Can give you some bible references if you like & if you're happy to adapt and retell the stories. Scripture union has free materials available online for the age group but as its a one-off that might be a bit much.

StitchingMoss Thu 26-Sep-13 20:57:48

Thanks niminy smile

niminypiminy Thu 26-Sep-13 20:49:30

I've done acting out Bible stories with 6-8 year olds and you can definitely make it work. Here are some that lend themselves to acting out:

Zacchaeus
Feeding of the five thousand
Wedding at Cana
Good Samaritan
... and many more from the Old Testament.

A good resource is the Lion Storyteller Bible which not only retells the stories in a dramatic way but also has ideas for how to involve your audience, and these are easily adaptable to acting the stories out.

StitchingMoss Thu 26-Sep-13 19:09:08

Thanks all. They've tried the local vicar before and apparently he was a bit rubbish and couldn't really connect with the kids blush.

I like the idea of acting out the Noah's Ark, etc, and maybe ditching the morals idea. Thegreen, we're trying to hit the religious element of one of the badges which is why we went for bible stuff.

I used to use drama all the time when teaching, but I taught Y5/6 mainly and I think that couple of years in age makes so much difference in maturity so slightly concerned about trying it with 6-8 year olds!

Relaxedandhappyperson Thu 26-Sep-13 18:15:30

You need Beryl and Derek's book of bible stories.

Not very modern but written for children and the stories don't change.

Not being condescending at all but if you want to take it that way fine. I do a really good line in sarcastic but moving on and being helpful - why not dramatize one of Aesop's fables so that you get morals without the complication of the Bible. Or a lovely friend today suggested 'The Smartest Giant in Town' which works on many levels and you can pick out what is appropriate for the age group you are working with.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Thu 26-Sep-13 08:16:56

Thegreenheartsad did you mean to sound so condescending? They are six, many of them are non-religious and they aren't doing this as part of a church group. It's Beavers not Sunday school!

The Bible is largely written as story which people think is good for children as children read stories. But the stories in the Bible are told to point to a greater truth. So the story of the good Samaritan as told by Jesus is not about the moral 'be nice to people' but in answer to a challenge to his assertion that the way to live life is to 'Love your God with all your heart and mind and strength and love your neighbour as yourself.' The story of the Prodigal Son is not about being nice to your parents but about God's love being unconditional.

It may be too late this time but I would definitely get the youth leader/vicar/minister in next time round as they do this stuff all the time and would probably be delighted to come in and help.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Wed 25-Sep-13 22:07:39

Or you could do it as a story they have to make up actions to.

So Noah loaded the elephants in to the ark

<all act like elephants>

Then the birds

<all act like birds>

And so on. Co-operative drama could be crazy! Individual efforts mean they are all having fun at once.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Wed 25-Sep-13 22:05:52

I always find that a difficult badge. Next time try your local Christian youth leader! If you can get them in you can also meet a requirement of the friendship challenge - meeting people who serve the local community.

Acting out may be hard but it'll depend how many you have in the colony. Try a freeze frame instead. smile

StitchingMoss Wed 25-Sep-13 21:21:36

Oh no joan, don't tell me that!! blush This is my first activity with my new Beaver pack that I'm responsible for - help!

It's for the faith one I think Unicorns.

Thought the Bible was supposed to be good for translating for kids confused.

(This is not an area of expertise for me as you can tell!)

joanofarchitrave Wed 25-Sep-13 21:16:06

Gosh that's really difficult, IMO most Bible stories are totally unsuitable for that age group.

The Walls of Jericho might be fun.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Wed 25-Sep-13 21:06:37

Or the prodigal son might be a good one!!

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Wed 25-Sep-13 21:02:39

Zacchaeus (sp?) the tax collector

Noah's Ark

Is it for the Faith activity badge or the promise challenge?

StitchingMoss Wed 25-Sep-13 20:30:01

bump

StitchingMoss Wed 25-Sep-13 20:19:54

Hi all, wonder if any of you could point me in the direction of short, easy to understand bible stories that could be re-enacted by my Beaver pack next week.

I was thinking of things like the samaritans and king solomon. Any other suggestions? They need to be short, with approx 5 characters in each, easy to understand for 6-8 year olds and easy to act out!

Thank you smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now