Christians who worry- why do we do it?

(12 Posts)
FavoriteThings Mon 07-Oct-13 23:33:13

As far as I know, worrying is not a sin.

FavoriteThings Mon 07-Oct-13 23:32:42

I try to seperate worries into what is actually happening today, or has happened today., and those that might happen.
The ones that might happen are not troubles at all. Probably a 50% chance they will never even occur.
The today worries, the ones that are happening or have happened to day, need to be prayed about.

I normally don't worry about anything (I'm a Christian, I meditate, very chilled and relaxed, counsellor too - so do lots of stress reduction techniques with people )

But this week I'm horribly, uncontrollably, generally worried as am moving house (to somewhere that's going to create more worry)

My eye is twitching, I feel sick, my dreams and sleep are very disturbed, I keep falling down the stairs, being really forgetful, stress headache - blah blah

I know it will get better but right now I have to accept I'm stressed and trust that it's usual, normal and I can cope with it.

Meditation, prayer have helped only a small amount today.

newlark Sat 05-Oct-13 17:47:34

I can be a bit of a worrier - prone to start imagining "worst case scenarios", particularly if I wake in the night. I find it helpful to meditate on scripture when I start worrying - something like Psalm 23 or Psalm 112 v7.

Bumblequeen Thu 26-Sep-13 11:58:43

Thanks for your responses.

I definitely worry about the fact that I worry!

We all have challenges and struggles.

Dutchoma Thu 26-Sep-13 07:32:15

Our minister posted this on Facebook his morning. I thought you might like it.

“Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith. I don't agree at all. They are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the Passion of Christ”
― C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer

MaryBS Wed 25-Sep-13 10:47:17

Don't worry about worrying, it will make it worse! You are speaking to a serial worrier here! I honestly think its how God made me (I was diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum a few years ago, and its part of the condition). Worrying helps in problem solving. The fact that you worry means you are still part of this world, which brings worry. Take your worries to God in prayer, and don't worry about it being sinful, when its so hard to help yourself. TALK to God about it. Try meditation - I can make some suggestions here that can help, if you like.

Dutchoma Wed 25-Sep-13 10:36:57

I've been thinking about this overnight Bumble. "Why do people, especially Christians worry?"
I think the way Jesus dealt with it was by getting people to look at the facts: "See the lilies of the field?" Look at any flower near to you, see how beautifully it is made, the colour of it...
Then Jesus says:"You are more beautiful than that."
And so on, read through Matt 6:25 and apply it to your own life.

I get the feeling that you are really caught up in the things that 'might' happen, not in any thing that has actually happened or is happening now. While you are tithing are you actually short of anything essential?

Does your dd go without food or clothing? The antidote to fear is information, reality, the facts.
So make a habit of thanking God for something, anything, every time you worry about something. I would be very surprised if you didn't feel better after doing that for a fortnight.

Well, being born again in Christ means that you believe you will go to the new creation when you die. It doesn't mean you will never go hungry, get ill, or have a miserable time in every other possible way. So your reasons to worry are only one less than a non-Christian's reasons to worry.

Therefore, I think you need to focus on things like counselling to help you to get a perspective on your worries. Most parents worry that nobody else can look after their child as well as they can, but they manage to get past that to let their child go to grandparents, nursery, whatever, after they make whatever sensible checks and decisions they can make.

If times are tight financially, then it is always worrying - but you say you are calculating over and over every day - that can't actually help the situation. You need to look at your finances and make choices, but then stick with those and don't keep going over the same ground. Be confident that you have looked at things and made a choice, and don't keep circling in a deeper and deeper rut.

Worrying is a habit - you can break it, but it takes time and help.

Crabbiesnlime Tue 24-Sep-13 15:17:54

I'm not sure really, maybe we worry because we know that whilst being Christian and therefore having salvation, bad things (suffering) still happens. And although we know it is temporary, and god is in control, and all of that, unsurprisingly we don't fancy it very much.
I read a book 'fearless' by max lucado recently which you might like.
I've always struggled with worrying - always worried about something even when things were going really well. Recently have had some really very hard times, and I have felt god with me in the midst of it all. I wouldn't say I no longer worry, but I seem to have a peace now that he will be with me even in the hardest times, and so that carries through for the everyday things.
I wondered from your post, that although you tithe you don't give your money to god in your heart iyswim? I don't know, it just sounded a bit legalistic 'we both tithe every month without fail'? (sorry if I'm miles from the mark, obviously i don't know you at all). A vicar at a church we used to go to used to talk about 'sitting lightly' towards things, or 'holding with an open hand'. I just thought about that that then, both about money and your fears about your daughter. I don't know if that helps at all.
I'm sorry you're struggling with it all at the moment, I'm sure someone will be along with wiser words smile

Yougotbale Mon 23-Sep-13 16:30:37

I'm not sure if this is a religious thread? I would get some psychological support. You may benefit from CBT training or you may need to see a doctor if you suffer from anxiety

Bumblequeen Mon 23-Sep-13 08:02:07

I am a born again Christian yet I worry ALL the time. The bible says it is a sin and it does not change anything for the better.

I have been a worrier since I was a child and really need to change my mindset. Growing up we struggled financially and in my marriage we are facing financial challenges. I spend my days calculating and recalculating. I cannot help but link my childhood to my current situation and wonder why is lack still around after all these years?

We both tithe every month without fail.

I also worry about my dd and have this idea that nobody can look after her as well as I can.

I have received counselling and may benefit from more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now