Why doesnt anyone think of all the innocent people when there's war?

(59 Posts)
12thDoctorsCompanion Fri 23-Aug-13 20:24:55

Watching the news. So sad, seeing all the women and children evacuating Syria. Really heartbreaking.

Of course it happens in any war there's ever been.
Why do people have to fight?
For power? money? Greed?

All those innocents who don't seem to matter. (sorry, a downer for a Friday night, just made me so upset, needed a shoulder to cry on).

Was dithering posting this in Chat or Spiritual site. How is all this allowed to happen? Where's God in all of this?

Thinking about the lyrics to 'harvest for the world'. So apt.

headinhands Sun 25-Aug-13 17:55:29

Doesn't make war any more palatable though. I just can't imagine what it's like actually living in those places coping with routine bombings and now the neuro gas attacks. What's the best charity to be giving to? Possibly Medecins Sans Frontieres

12thDoctorsCompanion Sun 25-Aug-13 18:13:48

Head theres an appeal for donations on tv, an advert comes up now and again.

Hei, can I butt in?
Always when war and general unpleasantness between humans is talked about I can't help thinking of The programs about apes and monkeys and their social structure. \pretty similar in chivvying for power, caste systems, attacking rivalling clans etc. I wonder if it's inbuilt, and as higher primates we have to unlearn it, which seem to take a heck of a long time.
It's the stupidity and barbarity of it that's so staggering. Are the leaders all pychopaths?
Sorry if you've moved on from that bit.

headinhands Tue 27-Aug-13 19:40:39

Good points turbo. Your comment on the psychopathy of world leaders calls mind The Pale Blue Dot by the late Carl Sagan.

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 28-Aug-13 00:00:44

Turbo, your point about psychopaths is really interesting. No doubt many of the wars that we have experienced have been as a result of psychopathic desires. The question is: why do we keep falling for it?confused

Essentially what is it that makes people over-ride their natural drive towards life and agree to fight, sacrifice, be hurt and die, for the reasons given by psychopaths?

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 28-Aug-13 00:08:04

And, sorry 12th (great name btw), please ignore the comments from Cote. If she really wanted to debate the Syria conflict, she would be posting in Politics or In The News. She's a Westboro Baptist style Athiest.sad

Your views and the way you want to discuss them and their impact on you are fine here.smile. And there is a lot to discuss.

Yes, I also wonder why we fall for it. But mostly I wonder why some people are so in thrall of power that they use all these people to achieve their goals, and don't care about the consequences.
And what about the people who are not at the top? What do they get out of the atrocities? Is it really just 'obeying orders', herd mentality or mass hysteria?
I don't know much about the conflict in Syria blush but the psychology of war is one worth talking about.
I would be quick to accuse religion of shitstirring in the past, but now I find it doesn't have much to do with that. It may be used as a tool, but it seems to me that many religious leaders are probably not driven by the religion at all, though actively using it to gain their own ends.

12thDoctorsCompanion Wed 28-Aug-13 17:07:21

Thanks Dione.

I know in some places also the Government would rather spend their money on tanks than feed/house/protect their people.-the people that vote for them.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 29-Aug-13 00:07:29

I don't think it's as easy as they would rather buy tanks than food. Psychopaths really do believe that they are special. That the world is better for their empowerment, even if it is to the physical, mental, intellectual and spiritual development of their peoples. Their lack of empathy and desire for personal fulfillment is king.sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now