Help please - bilble quotes, I need your help with a problem

(8 Posts)

This sounds awful. I really hope the problem will be resolved.

Hope these quotes help ....

www.openbible.info/topics/taming_your_tongue

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 27-Jul-13 19:22:46

So...Is the situation that your DH used to be a member of this church/cult and as you are not a member of their church/cult they do not recognise your marriage? (If so, we have family members who had this experience a generation ago.)

Not sure whether it will be of much help, as they will simply say that an unbeliever doesn't have the holy spirit within them to interpret the Bible...in which case you could come right back at them with:

Galatians 5:22-23
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

These next ones are a good ones to have in your arsenal...Just because you are not a member at their church doesn't mean you are not a spiritual being:

1 Corinthians 2:13 ESV
"And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual."

Genesis 1:27 ESV

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." (In other words, we are all spiritual beings according to the Christian Bible, so Christians who do not respect non-believers or other denominations as just as spiritual as themselves, dishonour God!

Romans 8:26 "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

Acts 10:34 ESV
"So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality..[between believers and non-believers]"

1 Peter 2:13 ESV

"Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution..." [this was in relation to taxes, iirc, but would also apply to the institution of monogamous marriage.

Their church might well teach to not marry someone outside of their own narrow denomination, but that doesn't mean that once married the Bible encourages them to tear any marriage apart. On the contrary, they should honour every marriage and if they want you both in their church there is only one Godly way to proceed, and that would be to pray for your and demonstrate God's love within their church and to you and the rest of the wider community.

sarahtigh Sat 27-Jul-13 17:44:29

" let him that is without sin cast the first stone"

buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Jul-13 20:39:27

Okay, very glad that the police are properly involved. Phew.

I personally think that the Bible contains so much that people can find anything in there. They won't be put off by you retorting, I shouldn't imagine.

But.

Some good ones might be

'Let all that you do be done in Love.'

'Judge not lest ye be judged.'

'Strength and dignity are her clothing..the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.'

Maybe?

But it might be good to post in Legal to see if there is anything else that can be done.

inneedofrain Thu 25-Jul-13 18:53:44

We have two restraining orders with powers of arrest (one for FM and one for their partner) but seriously I can´t restrain each memeber of the "congregation" The police have been great but there is nothing that can be done about people quoting scripture! Its so frustrating.

We have been dealing with this for over a decade, its mostly like water off of a ducks back to be honest but the bible scripture is the latest method of finding a way to get at us.

I have tried everything I can think of, I have smiled and thanked them, laughed like what they were saying was a joke, pretending I have gone deaf and walking off, I have tried to totally ignor them litterally like they are not there. But its been going on for 6 months or so

We have always taken the high road, never swear at them, shout etc, and we have taken a lot of provocation over the years, and I have to remind myself that we are doing the right thing but sometimes I am not as charitable.

rob99 Thu 25-Jul-13 18:51:44

You're residing in Great Britain, right ?

buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Jul-13 18:45:52

Blimey. That sounds truly dreadful. I am not the best person for bible quotes but I really think you need to escalate this with the police...file for a restraining order, non-harassment order, something like that? It sounds quite serious.

inneedofrain Thu 25-Jul-13 18:43:18

Hi All

Firstly I just want to say that I I mean no offence in anything I am saying.

We have a problem in the family, a certain family member has NPD, and a couple of other more serve mental disturbences. We have gone NC obviously.

So history out of the way, however, this FM has got involved with a local "church" (sorry if this offends its more like a cult) anyway some of the other members of the "congregation" have started to accost us (me really, DH is over 6 foot they and FM is convinced I stole him away) anyway when the accost me they have a habbit of shouting obscure bible scripture quotes about fallen women, the devil, etc I have tried ignoring it, walking off, shouting for help, turning and facing them etc. for my efforts I have been spat at, cused at, been physically prevented for getting somewhere etc. Yes I have called the police, but it happens so often now that I actually no longer want to go out!

I have tried to talk to the "Leader" but got told that I deserved it for being a fallen, wicked, women and the FM was ready to fogive us as she had found god etc. etc. etc. (and BREATH)

Sorry anyway what I would really like are some bible quotes that I could say back to them!

I think I remember there was something appropriate in JOB, about not juding unless you wanted to be judged.

Could anyone help with me a few quotes?

I´m sorry to say I have a great faith and spirituality but I am not religious and I really need a bit of help over this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now