What do you think happens when we die?

(86 Posts)
themonsteratemyspacebar Thu 25-Jul-13 16:19:45

I'm an athiest but studied AS level Religious Studies at school as i am fascinated by other peoples religions, thoughts and reasonings.

Now every religion and person on this earth has their own theory on what happens. Whether it be God, nothing, heaven and hell etc.

But what everyone didn't seem to understand is that there is no proof at all as to whether there is something or there is nothing. Nobody knows or will know until they die. At which point if there is nothing, then we won't know anyways smile

I dont want this to turn into a bun fight and i am respectful of all peoples thoughts. Each to their own etc. So what do you think happens?

headinhands Sun 08-Sep-13 11:20:59

Have I missed something?

Bazoo23 Sat 07-Sep-13 07:41:38

Cotw who are you to TELL others what to believe?

celticclan I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you have support around you and happy memories. Those things meant a lot to me when my dear father died a few years ago.

I am a Christian. I think/believe when we die we meet God face to face. Although as a Christian I believe I already have a relationship with God (the trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit), which is why it is not meeting God for the first time.

I believe that there is a judgement about our lives, and because of Jesus' death on the cross, dying as a sacrifice for our sins, if we choose Jesus we can go to heaven to be with him. Because we all make mistakes and are not perfect but he is a sacrifice in our place.

Traditionally the church thinks of that choice as made in this life not when you die or when you are dead. I believe in heaven. I think heaven will be the most wonderful and fun place. I don't think it will be sitting around on a cloud playing a harp. I think it will be like all the best bits of this life with no more sorrow and every tear will be wiped away.

As a Christian I believe Christian will go to heaven, so I will go to heaven. I can't say who will not go, and I would love it if everyone were there.

I can't imagine life ending, but it is a belief in heaven based on the teachings in the Bible and not on any scientific or personal evidence.

I do not want to judge anyone else's belief.

themonsteratemyspacebar hope that answers your question.

celticclan Wed 14-Aug-13 23:19:42

I'm exploring my religious beliefs at the moment and I have recently suffered the loss of a parent.

I believe in Heaven and the afterlife. I believe that when we die our soul is free to go where it wants and will usually spend a lot of time with loved ones before it moves on. Then I believe the soul goes to purgatory where it revisits its past behaviours and actions and understands the affect that it's actions had had on others. Following this the soul transcends to heaven where it is reunited with deceased loved ones and Jesus Christ. The deceased soul watches over its living relatives and friends but not to the same extent that it did when it first departed.

Disclaimer - The above is my own personal view and I have had wine tonight!

Saffyz Mon 12-Aug-13 20:09:27

I think there's probably a "heaven" (being with our creator) in some dimension we don't know about yet.

sweetkitty Sat 10-Aug-13 15:10:54

I believe there is nothing after death, the only way we live on is in the passing of our DNA to our children.

headinhands Sat 10-Aug-13 14:23:56

"none of us has any idea what happens when we die"

To say that none of us has any idea is simply not true. You only have to look at people who have severe brain damage to see that personality is stored in and of the physiology of the mind. To believe that there is a soul or something woo about the makeup of the human body is entirely baseless and mere wishful thinking.

niminypiminy Thu 08-Aug-13 13:53:16

If we are dependent on evidence to know what happens to the bit of us that we experience as 'us', whether we think of that as consciousness, or soul, or the as-yet not understood effects of electrical brain activity, then none of us has any idea what happens when we die. Those who think we go to heaven have just as much knowledge as those who think it all ends -- that is, no evidence at all. It's just one of the great unknowables.

As a Christian, I believe that death is not the end, and that when we die we are with God, and I base that on the resurrection of Jesus, and the promises he made after his resurrection. I can't, however, know what is going to happen to me after death. On a day to day level, I'd go with the Christian Aid slogan, 'we believe in life before death'.

MadeOfStarDust Thu 08-Aug-13 13:39:54

I have no belief at all in a "soul" - we are what we are, a combination of genetics and experiences and when we die we cease to be... we rot or are burned, or in some religions - eaten, back to atoms, back to the "pool" for re-use.....

CosmicG Thu 08-Aug-13 11:38:35

Thanks for your explanation re heat ....etc. But can i just ask you, what do you personally believe a "Soul" is?

CoteDAzur Thu 08-Aug-13 11:14:41

We leak heat into the environment all the time. That is why we wear thick clothes in winter. That is not "soul". It is heat. A heated kettle also cools down over time (i.e. leaks heat into the environment) and that is not its "soul", either.

I read Jill Bolte Taylor's book and recommend that you do the same. She clearly explains the reasons why she had that "nirvana" experience (her analytical left brain was awash in blood and all she had left was her "live in the moment" right brain). She couldn't talk not understand speech, and had to learn it all again over about 8 years, iirc.

Jill Bolte Taylor's book doesn't claim to have found evidence for a soul or some mysterious form of energy. It is really interesting, though. If you read it, I'm sure that you will learn a lot about the brain.

CosmicG Thu 08-Aug-13 10:11:17

Scientifically speaking- when we die, energy is released as heat into our environment.

But may i remind you, this is a philosophy/religion/spirituality thread. Our soul is a form of energy.. its not the type of energy that can be measured....only experienced. Jill Bolte Taylor is a Brain Scientist who suffered a brain hemorrhage and speaks of her own experience of how when she had this stroke- she felt alive and found nirvana. Its very interesting.

CoteDAzur Thu 08-Aug-13 09:07:22

Why can't you answer a simple question?

What kind of energy? (Heat? Sound? Gravity? Nuclear?)

Has anyone ever documented and measured this "energy"?

CosmicG Thu 08-Aug-13 08:25:56

May I remind you, cote that the OP asked, "what we think happens, wen we die" and not "try to prove what happens wen we die" . cote you seem like someone who doesn't like to believe something unless there is evidence or proof to back it up. Well, just because something hasn't been proven or lacks evidence does not mean it can't be true. So my suggestion is maybe try having some faith in the unseen/unknown.
I am aware that people lie and I don't always believe everything people tell me or everything I read- I choose to believe certain things that resonate with me on a deeper level...but i guess you wouldn't understand what that feels like.

you come across as very hostile and arrogant person in your posts and one who likes to maybe force their opinions on people-not a very welcome quality- you could try maybe being a bit open minded and accepting. Oh and maybe add a splash of colour to yourself too as at the moment you appear to be very Black & White.

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Aug-13 23:10:35

Exactly, MadeOfStarDust.

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Aug-13 23:09:39

"we carry on existing as energy"

How marvellous. What kind of energy are we when dead? Heat? Gravity? Sound? Or.... can it be an "energy" that only you know about, which nobody has been able to measure before? smile

Re people who say they "remember" past lives - I don't know if they are liars as you say, or if they are a combination of liars, schizophrenics, attention seekers, and people who have had "experiences" following brain trauma & minor strokes (I personally know two of this last group).

Whatever you decide to believe, my friendly advice would be to not automatically believe everything you are told. People do lie. And many others have false memories for a variety of reasons.

Try to develop a critical mind. You will really need it in life smile

MadeOfStarDust Wed 07-Aug-13 21:19:03

I think we just cease.... as my MN name is derived from -

"every one of us is made of stardust" -

every atom in every single part of our being has been around since the dawn of time itself...

every atom in every single part of our being will remain until the end of time...

every single part of us will carry on for ever... just no "consciousness"

CosmicG Wed 07-Aug-13 21:09:25

Yes cote i believe we carry on existing as energy- why do you seem to have such an issue with what I choose to believe in.

No-body- nobody- same thing. Your so predictable...how did i know you were going to argue that one too. Maybe it was that energy you were giving off.

And from your comments about remembering- i take it you dnt believe that people have been able to connect with spirits passed on or remember past lives...etc.... so your basically calling those people liars too?

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Aug-13 20:49:33

Err I didn't say "no-body". I said "nobody".

You can't and you don't remember anything from a time when you had not started recording memories. Honestly, I don't know how you can even try to dispute this.

"when our bodies die, we carry on existing as energy"

And my 8-year-old believes in the tooth fairy. The difference is that at least she has evidence - her milk teeth exchanged for coins under her pillow.

CosmicG Wed 07-Aug-13 20:38:47

cote yes, i was referring to "who we are" and I liked your answer, "no-body" cos you hit the nail on the head! I believe we are nobody before birth- a soul without a body. smile

I can use the word "remember" , if I like, thank you very much. smile And can you explain, how is it then that some people are able to remember things from their past lives or are you going to say, that that's not true- if so, then how do you know?

And about energy, i believe we are made up of energy- so wen you said earlier, that, " there was a time when you didn't exist...." yeah, we didn't exist as the physical human beings that we are today but I believe that we existed as energy and when our bodies die, we carry on existing as energy. smile

ChristineDaae Wed 07-Aug-13 19:13:36

I kind of believe in reincarnation. But I don't know (obviously!) I'm not even sure I believe it. I definitely believe there is something else, just not got any firm belief in what form

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Aug-13 19:03:15

Re energy - You really should get your information from other sources than half-baked new-age blogs.

Energy is never "lost" because it transfers to your surroundings. If you stay outdoors naked in subzero temperatures, enough if your energy will transfer to the air around you and ground below you that you will likely die of hypothermia. And when that happens, all your energy will transfer to your surroundings until your body temperature measures the same as the ambient temperature.

There is no other energy that transfers anywhere else when someone dies. Or when an animal dies. Pretending that you know of such an energy (let me guess... "cosmic energy"? smile) that has never been verified, never been measured nor named scientifically is not convincing, imho.

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Aug-13 18:55:29

Most people have no trouble remembering who they are.

I suspect you are referring to "who we are" before birth. (The answer to that is obviously "Nobody" but I again suspect that is not the answer you want to hear.)

You just can't use the word "remember" about things that happen before you are born because remembering is what we call recalling experiences we have chemically recorded in our brains. As such, it is not possible to remember something from before you started using this brain.

CosmicG Wed 07-Aug-13 14:13:29

energy can never be lost. It does not ever cease to exist- it simply changes form. If you break everything down- you are energy. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now