A thread for those starting, re starting and practicing meditation

(46 Posts)
puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sat 20-Jul-13 19:46:51

Following on from my earlier thread, I have started this thread as a support place for those embarking on, re starting and practicing the art of meditation.

Please share your stories, tips and progress smile

It's time to relax.

HeroineChick Sun 22-Sep-13 11:00:28

Bumping this. I've just done the initial 10 days on the Headspace app and am reeeally liking the clarity it (seems) to be bringing to the rest of my day. Have discovered I can't do it at night without falling asleep though which is inconvenient. grin

Anyone else still going?

bluebump Thu 29-Aug-13 20:19:59

Hope you don't mind me joining too, I just discovered the Headspace app and am giving that a go in the evening before bedtime.

MrsMymble Thu 29-Aug-13 19:53:11

Hi Everyone

Hope you don't mind me joining you. I am a total beginner to meditation, have tried a few minutes this evening but I am totally rubbish at it. I have a frantic mind most of the time so I feel I would benefit from it greatly...just don't know if I will ever be able to 'still' my mind sad

slightlysoupstained Sat 03-Aug-13 20:10:29

Also reminded by ww's post - just done day 7 headspace meditation, feel clearer of head? And ironically, given that I'm in bed early while DP looks after DS, less tired.

Have tried visualisation in the past but it never seems to work that well for me, so the Headspace stuff has been good. I like having the narration to keep me on track, and the speaker's voice is quite soothing (have one recording I can't use as the voice of the person talking is really annoying for some reason).

colette Fri 02-Aug-13 18:32:16

well done ww - I have lapsed the last few days but your post is helping to pull me back in!

wundawoman Fri 02-Aug-13 13:04:12

I've completed the Headspace 10 days meditation and continuing on with the same program...

Today I met with a friend who is having a very stressful time at the moment. She talked nonstop for an hour and poured out her problems to me. And guess what I realised...? I am not even stressed in the slightest!!

So I don't know if I didn't realise it till just now, but I am actually really calm and unstressed (I am not usually like this). So I guess it must be the ongoing medication practice (3 weeks now). wink

CoolWaterRose Mon 29-Jul-13 07:44:21

Hi, just joining this thread as I am restarting daily meditation as of today! Have been a practitioner of Buddhist meditation (mainly mindfulness/insight meditation) for a few years now but got out of the daily habit. Am re-reading Mindfulness in Plain English to support my practice, I really recommend it if you're at all curious about the Buddhist tradition.

colette Sun 28-Jul-13 17:19:24

muminthecity - thanks for the link , he's great really calming voice, I've got a cd of his with body scan and mindfullness ideas.
MostlyLovingLurchers - good tips: I find myself judging how I am doing , will try the simple visualisation, like the idea dealing with intruding thoughts by thinking of them as messages in a bottle.

loopyloou Sun 28-Jul-13 11:27:03

mostlylovinglurchers, thanks, good advice and sounds like a lovely visualisation.

Think I will have to be patient as I have no time to myself at present (dh out of work and dd at home, school hols), but come September I will have more time to myself.

MostlyLovingLurchers Sun 28-Jul-13 11:21:05

Just a few thoughts for those struggling to get into a routine with meditation:

If you are struggling to meditate at night (when your body is just wanting to go to sleep) try first thing in the morning instead, even if it means getting up 10/15 minutes earlier. You may find you are more receptive and less distracted, and it helps set your intent for the day. Once you are in the habit you look forward to it, rather than see it as a chore. It is the only time I can find in my day when I can be alone, and if I do get disturbed I just try again the next day.

Regarding a focus for meditation, sometimes detailed visualisation can be a bit distracting when you are learning, as you are trying to hold all the details and get it 'right' - simple is best. A single candle flame is good - light a candle and look for as long as you can and then close your eyes and hold the image in as much detail as possible. Mandalas are good to look at as the geometry draws you in through the different layers of meaning, much like stripping away the layers of consciousness.

Personally, I don't like to meditate using outside stimuli as I find them a distraction rather than a help (never tried the app but then i'm a complete luddite). Simply sitting still, comfortably and as straight as possible, and focusing on your breath, without trying to control it, is really all you need to do. I also do chakra meditation but that may not float your particular boat.

If you want a simple visualisation to help you still your thoughts you could try this. Sit comfortably, close your eyes and and breath gently, matching the length of the out-breath with the in-breath. Imagine you are sat on a little wooden platform jutting out into a vast sea. All you can see is sea and sky. If you have a stray thought visualise it as a message in a bottle, bobbing on the sea, and let it drift by. The more often you do this the fewer bottles there will be.

Don't try too hard to achieve anything when you meditate, just aim for stillness and the rest will follow in time.

I'm in, haven't meditated since March, and could really do with getting back into the habit.

wundawoman Sat 27-Jul-13 23:03:04

Hi, I've just completed the Headspace App: 10 minutes for 10 days - i found it very calming and worthwhile. I will keep going with it...

muminthecity Sat 27-Jul-13 22:46:59

I did some meditating tonight - I am completely new to it. I used this video which was linked on another thread. I rather enjoyed it, felt very relaxed afterwards. I do find it hard to switch off from my everyday worries/thoughts but found the guide helpful with that.

slightlysoupstained Sat 27-Jul-13 22:39:53

Another checking in to say oops. In fact, haven't had an opportunity since I last posted. Prob is, my best opportunity is in bed, & keep forgetting to bring headphones up so I can listen to session w/o waking DS.

I should prob just try to do a quick body scan whenever I think about it rather than waiting to do the next session from the app, shouldn't I?

MissSparrow Sat 27-Jul-13 22:33:18

Same!! I find that I'd rather just sleep!! grin Oh dear ...

loopyloou Sat 27-Jul-13 22:14:23

I've been slack too hmm Too tired at bedtime, just been falling asleep. Also never have a moment alone!

MissSparrow Sat 27-Jul-13 22:12:32

I've been a bit slack hmm Will try and get back on track tomorrow!! smile Anyone found anything that really works as a focus? I tried earlier bit got too involved trying to picture a calm scene ...

colette Sat 27-Jul-13 20:13:25

Just wondered how everyone is getting on ? I've done most days ( about 8 mins ) but missed the last few ......

misskatamari Mon 22-Jul-13 22:04:01

Slightlysoupstained - the monk where I do meditating says that children often find it easier to meditate than adults as they don't have as many worrying thoughts playing through their heads so often find it easier to quiet their minds - not sure how true that is but it does make sense. The time for meditating would be much less though so if say about 5-10 mins would be rightsmile

I know what you mean about wanting to meditate without the religious aspect. The course I did is one just focusing in meditation and the mind. They do run another where you learn more about Buddhism, which I would like to do to just learn a bit more about it, but yeah I wouldn't want to feel like I had to believe a certain thing to enjoy a class. It's great that mediation is something that can be enjoyed without the need to assign religious beliefs to it grin

loopyloou Mon 22-Jul-13 18:43:05

Thanks. I've also got the Take a Break app to try. I'll have more time once I've completed this stint of full time work in two weeks time, then will try them out.

slightlysoupstained Sun 21-Jul-13 21:56:08

loopy I'm enjoying the Headspace app so far, I'm only on the free first 10 sessions though. One tip - the mindfulness buzzers don't actually work properly - they're meant to just randomly give you a little snippet so many times a day. Unfortunately the app can't count so I had it set to two, turned them off entirely after 5 or so in a row...

Miss I did an 8 week mindfulness course when pregnant last year - ended up missing some as I was just too tired. It was good, though have to say the bump didn't meditate along with me so I'd get totally distracted by a sudden backflip midway grin . The attraction for me was that the course was explicitly secular - I didn't want a religion/spirituality based approach, it's just not me.

pud Interesting question about teaching meditation to children. DS is a bit young yet, but I remember a primary school teacher telling us that children in Japan all learnt meditation & then getting us to pick a spot on our desk & focus on it for five minutes. (I can remember looking at my desk & hearing lots of furtive rustling as lots of small children tried to get comics etc out to read under desk, think 5 mins for 8 yr olds was maybe a bit ambitious!)

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 21-Jul-13 21:23:33

Sounds good miss Please do use this thread to encourage you smile

Congratulations on your pregnancy thanks

misskatamari Sun 21-Jul-13 19:48:16

I started going to a mediation course at my local Buddhist centre just over a year ago and love it - they in blocks at different stages in the year and I found it so beneficial. I've been really crap at meditating for the last few months tho (11 weeks pregnant and been feeling so awful I just haven't been able to motivate myself) however I really want to get back into it so will try to use this thread for inspiration.

The technique I used is called middle way meditation. Basically you spend time relaxing body and clearing mind and then you visualise a bright object at the centre of your body. We sometimes use the 7 bases of the mind technique to get to the centre, but I usually just focus on their straight away. Sometimes I just focus my mind there instead of visualising an object - it seems to be easier on some days to do one or the other. I've found it a really useful technique so definitely want to start doing it again.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 21-Jul-13 17:11:52

Oh that sounds amazing! I think i'm going to have a look at going to my Buddhist centre. I think just spending time there would help me relax smile

Thank you for sharing smile

Schlock Sun 21-Jul-13 16:46:12

I'm not a Buddhist but I find the teachings fascinating. I would have thought most Buddhist centres do some kind of intro courses or sessions for meditation. Guided meditation makes it much easier to begin with because it takes the guess work out of timing or remembering what you're meant to be focussing on and you'll get pointers on posture, where I go no-one seems to use the lotus position (thankfully, I doubt my legs would bend that way!).

I've done a few intro to meditation sessions now, yesterday was great because it was relatively cool compared to the temperature outside and neighbouring garden had a water feature which made a perfect sound backdrop. There's always plenty of tea on offer between meditations and payment is voluntary as Buddhist teachings are free, they just want to cover the costs of running the centre.

The added advantage is of meeting lovely calm and friendly people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now