New beginnings: a Christian prayer thread for summer

(960 Posts)
Tuo Sat 13-Jul-13 23:22:55

I have called this thread 'new beginnings', as it felt appropriate to lots of us at the moment, in a whole series of ways.

Since I started our last thread, back in April, we have welcomed Abigail Faith, daughter of HadALittleFaithBaby, and Hannah Faith, daughter of RoomForALittleOne. We thank God for their safe arrival and pray that He will watch over them and surround them with His love as they grow.

We pray for Kaykat and for CharlotteCollinsismovingon as they deal with the breakdown of their marriages. We pray not only for Kay, but also for her friend who has been providing her with excellent support and legal advice, for a clear way forward and a swift resolution. We pray for a clear and positive way forward also for Charlotte, and for her children to cope with this change in their lives with understanding and resilience.

We pray for PositiveAttitude as she settles back into life in the UK, and prepares for a period away from her DH and DD4. We pray, in particular, for her DD1, that she find a job in which she will feel supported and which will help her to feel happier and better able to cope with life. We also pray for happiness for PA's DD3, who has just got married, and for her DS in his new job. Finally we pray for the work of her DH in Cambodia, praying that the separation is bearable and that he continues to be able to make a real difference to people's lives over there.

We pray for BlueTinkerbell as she moves to a new home, looks for work, and continues to explore her vocation. May this move be a really positive new beginning for Blue and her family.

Likewise, we pray for niminypiminy who will begin ordination training in September.

And we pray for my church and diocese in the aftermath of some major structural changes. This is a new beginning that was imposed rather than chosen, but may it bring positive developments nonetheless.

We pray also for:

... amberlight, for her work raising awareness of autism in churches, and for this work to be welcomed and valued, rather than greeted with incomprehension, far less hostility;

... BlackEyedSusan, for all the many things which she has to juggle in her life as a single parent; in particular, we pray for her mum's health, for peaceful and restorative holidays, for order in her flat and with her paperwork, and for her DC; we pray especially that they both receive the support that they need from their school;

... BoxOfDelights, for her to receive a clear diagnosis and suitable treatment for her eye problem very soon;

... Don'tsteponthemomeraths, that her DS is able to access the support he needs and is valued and nurtured at school; for better support also for her DD; for better relationships at work; and for her nephew, who has suffered a burst appendix;

... DutchOma and Bob, for health for Bob and for good support (moral and practical) for Oma as she cares for him day by day; and for the ability to rest and breathe easily in this heat;

...JakeBullet as she deals with her uncle's ill-health and decision to move back to his native Switzerland. May he be well cared-for and peaceful there, and may Jake not miss him too much;

... MadHairDay, for health as she lives with chronic illness, and for strength as she mourns the death of a friend; we remember also MHD's friend and all who knew and loved her at this time;

We also pray for friends who haven't been around for a while... for Badvoc, for Gingercurl and her thesis, for Jan and her DD, for MaryBS, and for all those who lurk, for occasional visitors, and for those known to us who are in need of prayer, whether mentioned here or not.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.

Evening All. It's been so long since I posted that I don't have the thread in my list anymore (or a list at all for the matter!)

Above all else, I am praying for peace for everyone. So many difficult situations are on here and there is only God who can give peace in these situations. I sense the weariness in many posts as well. Sometimes strength to keep going isn't what God gives us immediately but He is gracious enough to give us rest and the space that we need.

Life in the Room household is very busy. We have been released from our diocese to look at curacies in the rest of the country so we are travelling to one in half term. It's a funny old process. I didn't like the blind matching part at the beginning but discerning where to look from a national list is equally hard! I had a good prayer session with DH and we were both honest about how we feel about different options rather than trying to say what we think the other person wants to hear. I think we have got the right place to look at next after much worrying that we might be meant to go elsewhere. It's very exciting now!

Badvoc Mon 14-Oct-13 21:43:38

O Lord, support us all the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world lies hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in thy mercy grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last.
X

Dutchoma Mon 14-Oct-13 22:08:53

Amen.

And marking prayer for Tunnocks who sounds at the end of her tether before she has half begun. Lord, support her all her day long...

That's a very beautiful prayer Badvoc thanks

EasyCompadre Tue 15-Oct-13 10:33:14

That really is a lovely prayer Badvoc, very calming. Lots of prayers from me for those who are struggling at the moment, Room said exactly what I was thinking as I was catching up on the thread.. The sense of weariness in many posts is clear, and I pray that God gives you peace and you find the time to rest and look after yourselves.
Things have been pretty calm here since our baby scare, we've had the 12 week scan and all was great, and we've started telling some people the good news, which is always very soul-warming to receive their good good wishes and congratulations.
I am still suffering with nausea, sickness, and bone crushing tiredness, but I'm limping along in my job and tackling each day as it comes (I am self-employed and own a franchise business so I really must carry on as much as possible) though it is starting to feel like I am just keeping my head above water with regards to work, and I desperately don't want to let anyone down and begin to not do a 100% job so that my business suffers. This preoccupies my mind a lot, and I try to take the 'tough love' line with myself - the conversations go something like this.... "Millions of women are pregnant and poorly every day EC, get a grip, they manage, you will too...don't you dare feel sorry for yourself!" wink it works to a certain extent!!

Oh, I do hope you'll begin to feel better soon EC. Now you're past 12 weeks we can be hopeful of that too? Your determination and courage is inspiring.
I thought your post on weariness was very perceptive and encouraging too Room flowers for all x

Badvoc Tue 15-Oct-13 11:13:56

Im glad you like it.
It's always been one of my favourites.
It was read at my dads funeral back in August. Very appropriate for him I felt...he was working right up til he died and I like to think of him finally resting after all his "work is done".
X

BlackeyedSusan Tue 15-Oct-13 11:54:29

parents evening was not as bad as expected.

I am feeling really tired and worn out. trying to tidy up a bit. mnaging a little teeny tiny bit here and there.

madhairday Tue 15-Oct-13 12:01:28

Morning all

EC, so glad you're past the 12 week mark and doing well, hope you can find some energy with work and the nausea subsides soon.

Room, good to hear from you. Sounds like an exciting time ahead - good that your sending diocese has released you now and you can go forward and find the place you are called to (same thing happened with us) smile Praying for this next visit, that it will be made very clear to you.

Continuing to pray for Blue as things are so difficult at the moment, for wisdom and for strength and for comfort as you grieve for your precious dd2 in this week.

BES - praying for strength and energy, and pleased that the parents evening went ok.

Juggling, continuing to pray for your job situation.

And especially keeping FriendofDorothy in prayers this week as she mourns her lovely mum. For Badvoc too as you remember your dad, and for tunnocks in such a desperate time.

(love that prayer too, Badvoc)

Keep going, everyone. Hold on to the wonderful hope we have.

I want that at my funeral too Badvoc!
Though fortunately no plans just yet smile - and not sure I'm as hard-working as your Dad - but still like the prayer
I quite often think about readings, prayers, or hymns I'd like.
It could be a long service! (poor guests)
More likely I guess I might need some of those ideas before then - thinking of when my parents pass away sad They are in good health but nearing their eighties now.

Sorry for your loss sad

Badvoc Tue 15-Oct-13 13:19:32

I have written down what I want juggling!
Dad refused to discuss it (aside from one drunken conversation about a Viking funeral!) so I just did what I thought he would like. I do hope I got it right.
I have just been on my walk to see dad in the cemetery. Still seems so unreal. And always will I suspect.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 15-Oct-13 14:57:49

here's hoping the sun stays out to air the washing on the windowsil and warm up the flat.

time to fetch the screaming hoard. and dd. (ok so there is only one of him but he feels like a whole hoard.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 15-Oct-13 19:56:34

make that screaming shouting stamping and scratching hoard.

he also has a sore ear. no explanation from school. (dated bog standard letter but no details of how it hppened,, was treated or where the injury was if I had seen it earlier then I may have taken him to the gp to be looked at by the nurse as it looks horrible) he was whacked on the ear with a coat and it13 looks l1ike he got caught by the zip77.

o1h said hoar1d is sitting on my knee putting in numbers: 100

Dutchoma Tue 15-Oct-13 20:05:55

Poor things, both of you. And dd as well. Hope you all get some sleep tonight.

Dutchoma Tue 15-Oct-13 22:04:12

Evening prayer for Tunnocksteacake

BlackeyedSusan Wed 16-Oct-13 12:08:10

right. email composition time.

breakking out my copy of the sencode of practice.

Badvoc Wed 16-Oct-13 12:17:52

Blimey...good luck BES! X

BlackeyedSusan Wed 16-Oct-13 14:25:19

I need to think of it as a bit of baiting the senco sport. if, heavens forbid, I took it seriously I would implode. I do not think thata they should get away with not discussing ieps/reviews with parents though.

madhairday Wed 16-Oct-13 19:09:45

Oh BES - hope you can sort it out.

I've just been onto the senco at dd's school. I'm so upset for her, she's been having trouble with one particular boy who today decided to call her 'diseased spaz' sad - her psoriasis is particularly bad at the moment and he was saying she must be diseased and everyone should avoid her sad, then that horrible word, she has dyspraxia and it's just a personal attack. I have emailed the senco who is lovely. Am I overreacting? Do you think that kids just call each other names and that I should leave it at that? I don't think the little shit he should be able to get away with using such despicable language. I am so upset. DD has been through so much and supports me so much in my illness too. It's just not fair.

Oh no mhd teenagers can be so cruel! Hope it gets dealt with.
Have you checked your inbox for some cheer up news? wink

madhairday Wed 16-Oct-13 19:20:58

Yes Blue, I am incredibly touched and thought it was one of you lot, I luff Mumsnet! smile thanks cake (nominated for the christmas appeal) after a crappy year and a crappy week and a crappy day this was just what I needed. love you all thanks

smile love you too! I've been nominated as well. Feel honoured

madhairday Wed 16-Oct-13 19:23:36

Oh Blue you so deserve it smile smile smile thanks

Evening All. I'm ready to collapse after a long day. DD3's sleep was really good for a while but then it got worse again and last night she was up six times! I don't know what to do now other than pray because I put her down awake so she knows how to go to sleep. I'm not that fun when I'm this tired!

BlackeyedSusan Wed 16-Oct-13 22:53:16

oh, is it that time of year again.

the languaage used is not acceptable mhd nd hopefully the school will see it that way as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now