New beginnings: a Christian prayer thread for summer

(960 Posts)
Tuo Sat 13-Jul-13 23:22:55

I have called this thread 'new beginnings', as it felt appropriate to lots of us at the moment, in a whole series of ways.

Since I started our last thread, back in April, we have welcomed Abigail Faith, daughter of HadALittleFaithBaby, and Hannah Faith, daughter of RoomForALittleOne. We thank God for their safe arrival and pray that He will watch over them and surround them with His love as they grow.

We pray for Kaykat and for CharlotteCollinsismovingon as they deal with the breakdown of their marriages. We pray not only for Kay, but also for her friend who has been providing her with excellent support and legal advice, for a clear way forward and a swift resolution. We pray for a clear and positive way forward also for Charlotte, and for her children to cope with this change in their lives with understanding and resilience.

We pray for PositiveAttitude as she settles back into life in the UK, and prepares for a period away from her DH and DD4. We pray, in particular, for her DD1, that she find a job in which she will feel supported and which will help her to feel happier and better able to cope with life. We also pray for happiness for PA's DD3, who has just got married, and for her DS in his new job. Finally we pray for the work of her DH in Cambodia, praying that the separation is bearable and that he continues to be able to make a real difference to people's lives over there.

We pray for BlueTinkerbell as she moves to a new home, looks for work, and continues to explore her vocation. May this move be a really positive new beginning for Blue and her family.

Likewise, we pray for niminypiminy who will begin ordination training in September.

And we pray for my church and diocese in the aftermath of some major structural changes. This is a new beginning that was imposed rather than chosen, but may it bring positive developments nonetheless.

We pray also for:

... amberlight, for her work raising awareness of autism in churches, and for this work to be welcomed and valued, rather than greeted with incomprehension, far less hostility;

... BlackEyedSusan, for all the many things which she has to juggle in her life as a single parent; in particular, we pray for her mum's health, for peaceful and restorative holidays, for order in her flat and with her paperwork, and for her DC; we pray especially that they both receive the support that they need from their school;

... BoxOfDelights, for her to receive a clear diagnosis and suitable treatment for her eye problem very soon;

... Don'tsteponthemomeraths, that her DS is able to access the support he needs and is valued and nurtured at school; for better support also for her DD; for better relationships at work; and for her nephew, who has suffered a burst appendix;

... DutchOma and Bob, for health for Bob and for good support (moral and practical) for Oma as she cares for him day by day; and for the ability to rest and breathe easily in this heat;

...JakeBullet as she deals with her uncle's ill-health and decision to move back to his native Switzerland. May he be well cared-for and peaceful there, and may Jake not miss him too much;

... MadHairDay, for health as she lives with chronic illness, and for strength as she mourns the death of a friend; we remember also MHD's friend and all who knew and loved her at this time;

We also pray for friends who haven't been around for a while... for Badvoc, for Gingercurl and her thesis, for Jan and her DD, for MaryBS, and for all those who lurk, for occasional visitors, and for those known to us who are in need of prayer, whether mentioned here or not.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.

Tuo Tue 03-Sep-13 00:27:35

Hello all! I'm back after a wonderfully refreshing holiday... I missed you all.

Praying for Oma's sight to start improving (and to continue improving) very soon. The experience of the lady I know who had this op was that they did seem worse at first, but did settle eventually, and she's very happy with the result. Unfortunately, I won't see her for a couple of weeks, so can't ask her any more about her experiences, but I know that she did get there in the end. Also praying for Bob to be as happy as he can be in respite care, and for you both to stay well.

Praying for darlingdaffodils - welcome! I pray that you find a Christian community where you feel welcomed and at home.

Praying for Charlotte on this new stage in your life. May the house be a place of safety and happiness for you and your children.

Praying for BES's mum, and for, you, BES, as you try to ensure that she's OK, while also juggling all the other stuff that you have on your plate.

Praying for a gentle back-to-school experience for Mome's DS, and that he gets all the support he needs.

Praying for PA - so pleased to hear about DS's course and thrilled that he'll be doing something that clearly means so much to him. Praying a lot also for your DD1 as she sets off to university. I pray she will love her course, and that she will stay positive and happy. And praying for your DH over the loss of his bike... I hope he's able to replace it.

Praying for more sleep for Room and for juggling abilities while DH is away. Also praying that his placement goes well.

If there's anyone I've missed, sorry... I'm still catching up, but will be back regularly again now. God bless you all...

madhairday Tue 03-Sep-13 09:23:55

Morning all, another returner here, had a lovely time in Germany. Have read through and prayed, as ever thanks so much to TUO for the wonderful round ups you do, they do help me pray smile

DS has gone back today (very nervous to start y5, not sure why but he was really unsettled - they have split the class so it may be that) and dd back tomorrow. She is 13 in a couple of weeks which is freaking me out!

Charlotte, praying for this new stage in your life. Kay, praying everything gets sorted re housing etc, and so appalled at the behaviour of your h. sad Oma, praying your sight improves quickly. Welcome darlingdaffodils. Praying for BES and her mum, and for Mome and for ds. Praying for PA and so pleased it all got sorted with the course for ds. Praying for Room and for dd3 to get back into good sleep patterns. Thanking God that Tuo has had a lovely holiday. Praying for lovely Amber and thanking God for her. Praying for Mary and praying her dc will settle well back at school.

Amen.

HaveALittleFaith Tue 03-Sep-13 11:38:31

Hello all, I'm returning too. Not from holiday but from falling off the thread as I've been struggling with various things, including my faith. Delighted to say that things are on the up. I had the mirena coil in a few weeks ago and it really didn't agree with me. It came out last week and I feel loads better for it. Also I've heard from work and they've agreed to move me. This means I'm going back to the ward I was on when I was pregnant (where I really like the manager) rather than where I was contracted to (where the manager and I don't see eye to eye). Faithlet hasn't been napping much in the day but we seem to be turning a corner in that respect (she's waking once or twice in the night but going to sleep earlier so I get some evening so I can cope with that!). She's put on weight too - she's jumped up to 25th centile! Starting at 0.2nd centile, that's quite impressive!

We're still struggling with church. Had very little contact and thinking of moving but no idea where to.

Lots to catch up on:
PA praying for your DH to be able to have a new bike, DD1 to enjoy uni. How is DD3 enjoying her job?

Oma praying your sight settles down. Praying that Bob's time in respite is positive.

Room praying life gets easier and things are smoother than expected with DH in his church placements.

bes praying for patience and peace while you try to sort out things with your Mum and DS.

Mome praying for your DS' term and for answers in terms of his needs.

Sorry for anyone I've missed.

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Tue 03-Sep-13 12:09:12

Yay for Faithlet's weight and evening sleeps! Getting a bit of space in the evening again is a wonderful feeling.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 03-Sep-13 21:47:24

oh heck. it is back to school tomorrow. ds does not want to go. dd does. I do not want to go either. i have to unite pe kit with pe bags, and make lunch. worst, find the alarrm clock. sad

Kaykat Tue 03-Sep-13 22:04:20

Oh yuk yes the alarm got to get up instead of just ignore it lay there doing nothing for half an hour.
Struggling to get a few things organised so I can push the house issue forward but being ignored by a few people which is holding it up. The house we like is still available it will be disappointing if it sells it was the only place we looked at that felt like home. Plus dealing with an abusive ex and the emotional effects of that on DS is not easy.
Charlotte are you in your new place yet?

Tuo Wed 04-Sep-13 00:14:18

Prayers for all those back to school tomorrow (including my two - DD2 starts secondary school tomorrow).

Lovely to see you, Faith. Thanking God for Faithlet's better sleeping and for the good work solution, and praying you find a church where you're happy and which feeds your faith very soon.

Praying that MHD's DS had a good day at school today, and that your DD will do tomorrow. And praying for a non Kevin-the-Teenager-like transition to teen-dom. (DD1 was 13 in May and so far so good...) And thanking God for a great holiday.

Praying that Kay and your DS find a place to live where they feel safe and happy and ready to move on. If it's not the place you've already seen, let it be somewhere even better!

Continuing to pray for Oma's eyesight, for Room, for amber, for darlingdaffs and for all who need our prayers, and in particular the people of Syria.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 04-Sep-13 07:16:26

urggg. i am up. just. I hate school.

Tuo Wed 04-Sep-13 08:05:09

DD2 came in fully dressed and ready to go at 6 am! [sleepy]

MaryBS Wed 04-Sep-13 08:33:39

Prayers for DS, who broke his arm on Sunday, had an operation on it on Monday, and started secondary school today!

Dutchoma Wed 04-Sep-13 09:28:56

Will his plaster give him some 'cred'?

MaryBS Wed 04-Sep-13 10:52:16

Possibly, although he's adamant that he doesn't want anyone to write on it, which may cause issues! I've put a tubigrip bandage over it, to help protect it.

Please pray for me and Mr Room. It's been an emotional day with DD2 starting school and then my phone being stolen from the pushchair when I picked her up at lunchtime. This evening we have a life-changing meeting with DH's potential future vicar for when he is a curate. I want to make a good impression and not ruin his chances! We also have to continue discerning if this is the right place for us to go to and for DH to serve. We are fairly certain that we know the answer to that but this evening could change everything. I'm very tired so wish me luck or blessings or other holy things!

BlackeyedSusan Wed 04-Sep-13 19:24:18

hi room. will do

Dutchoma Wed 04-Sep-13 19:30:56

And me.

madhairday Wed 04-Sep-13 19:56:45

praying, Room.

And praying for Mary's ds.

My dc have settled back fine, though dd still having problems with the girl who sent the nasty texts, she is basically blanking dd, but as long as that is all it is dd doesn't mind too much. She's happy to see her other friends. School is such a minefield isn't it.

Thanks for all the prayers. Meeting went well. It's definitely past my bedtime though. I'm hoping for an early night tomorrow!

BlackeyedSusan Thu 05-Sep-13 10:11:58

well we got to school on time. I could weep. it has already started. dd is hiding stuff she knows and only telling the teacher what she thinks she should know. last years teacher was sympathetic, this year's is the one who kept her on the basic reading books to 9 levels below the ones she was reading at home.

there seems to have been little handover information fo ds.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 05-Sep-13 10:52:18

oh and i am supposed to be tidying, but feeling it is such a big job that it is not worth it. i need a bit of encourgement that, aas tesco puts it, every little helps!

amberlight Thu 05-Sep-13 20:30:55

Prayers

Whoops. It has gone ten o'clock and I haven't done any jobs yet because I got distracted by making a necklace for my aunt!

I probably should start praying for more judicial use of time, but prayers for a good night's sleep gratefully accepted grin

BlackeyedSusan Fri 06-Sep-13 08:12:33

ds claims he is too poorly fo school. he may have little headache, buut he is well enough to fight with his sister, so he is going.

amberlight Sat 07-Sep-13 22:20:11

Keeping prayers going

Tuo Sat 07-Sep-13 23:37:04

Praying... Have had a bit of a baptism of fire with the whole back-to-work thing (quite a sad situation; praying for the person involved, though can't give details) but the DDs seem happy to be back at school, at least.

Praying for Mary's DS. I hope the back-to-school transition was OK for him and that that tubigrip (genius idea!) kept the pen-wielders off his plaster. Also hoping he's not in too much pain.

Praying for MHD's DD, that she may be surrounded by friends and love and fun and joy.

Also praying for BES, for her DC as they go back to school, that they both get the support they need.

And praying for Room for sleep and energy and strength.

And for Oma's eyesight to keep on making great improvements. Thinking also of Bob and praying that he's well and happy.

And praying also for amber and Kay and Charlotte and PA and Mome and anyone I've forgotten.

Praying that everyone here feels God's touch in their lives today in whatever way they need it.

Today I take DD2 to the boat, wave her off, and see her again at Christmas! sad Just me and DS left in the house........it is suddenly feeling very very huge and empty!!! sad

Can I ask you to pray for DD1 - for her student finances to be sorted out very quickly - for her to get a job in Plymouth and for her to make good friendships there.

It's my birthday today, too and I am really missing DH. I think my lovely DCs have something planned to keep me busy, though.

I am praying for everyone on here - even when I don't post too often. Mostly because I just dont know what to say!! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now