New beginnings: a Christian prayer thread for summer

(960 Posts)
Tuo Sat 13-Jul-13 23:22:55

I have called this thread 'new beginnings', as it felt appropriate to lots of us at the moment, in a whole series of ways.

Since I started our last thread, back in April, we have welcomed Abigail Faith, daughter of HadALittleFaithBaby, and Hannah Faith, daughter of RoomForALittleOne. We thank God for their safe arrival and pray that He will watch over them and surround them with His love as they grow.

We pray for Kaykat and for CharlotteCollinsismovingon as they deal with the breakdown of their marriages. We pray not only for Kay, but also for her friend who has been providing her with excellent support and legal advice, for a clear way forward and a swift resolution. We pray for a clear and positive way forward also for Charlotte, and for her children to cope with this change in their lives with understanding and resilience.

We pray for PositiveAttitude as she settles back into life in the UK, and prepares for a period away from her DH and DD4. We pray, in particular, for her DD1, that she find a job in which she will feel supported and which will help her to feel happier and better able to cope with life. We also pray for happiness for PA's DD3, who has just got married, and for her DS in his new job. Finally we pray for the work of her DH in Cambodia, praying that the separation is bearable and that he continues to be able to make a real difference to people's lives over there.

We pray for BlueTinkerbell as she moves to a new home, looks for work, and continues to explore her vocation. May this move be a really positive new beginning for Blue and her family.

Likewise, we pray for niminypiminy who will begin ordination training in September.

And we pray for my church and diocese in the aftermath of some major structural changes. This is a new beginning that was imposed rather than chosen, but may it bring positive developments nonetheless.

We pray also for:

... amberlight, for her work raising awareness of autism in churches, and for this work to be welcomed and valued, rather than greeted with incomprehension, far less hostility;

... BlackEyedSusan, for all the many things which she has to juggle in her life as a single parent; in particular, we pray for her mum's health, for peaceful and restorative holidays, for order in her flat and with her paperwork, and for her DC; we pray especially that they both receive the support that they need from their school;

... BoxOfDelights, for her to receive a clear diagnosis and suitable treatment for her eye problem very soon;

... Don'tsteponthemomeraths, that her DS is able to access the support he needs and is valued and nurtured at school; for better support also for her DD; for better relationships at work; and for her nephew, who has suffered a burst appendix;

... DutchOma and Bob, for health for Bob and for good support (moral and practical) for Oma as she cares for him day by day; and for the ability to rest and breathe easily in this heat;

...JakeBullet as she deals with her uncle's ill-health and decision to move back to his native Switzerland. May he be well cared-for and peaceful there, and may Jake not miss him too much;

... MadHairDay, for health as she lives with chronic illness, and for strength as she mourns the death of a friend; we remember also MHD's friend and all who knew and loved her at this time;

We also pray for friends who haven't been around for a while... for Badvoc, for Gingercurl and her thesis, for Jan and her DD, for MaryBS, and for all those who lurk, for occasional visitors, and for those known to us who are in need of prayer, whether mentioned here or not.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.

Tuo Sat 17-Aug-13 22:37:15

Aww... Sorry to have missed the meet-up, but everything has been manic. I've had the most ridiculously busy week, but things are looking quite positive (finally) work-wise, and now I'm nearly ready to go on holiday. Just a few last-minute bits of packing to do. We need to be up at 5 a.m., though, so this will be a flying visit for now...

Oh, yes, Zing... I've heard there are some lovely people on the IoW... wink grin

Jake thinking of your uncle and of all who love him at this time.

Lovely to see you Soozi. Prayers for your nephew. Hoping he makes a good recovery - he's so young!

Probably won't have much internet access on holiday, so will probably see you all in a couple of weeks, but will be praying lots...

BlackeyedSusan Sat 17-Aug-13 23:34:12

aggghhh ds is still awake.

BlackeyedSusan Sun 18-Aug-13 00:22:05

ds is finally asleep. just.

Hi Zing - where are you staying? If you get this some time soon, are you planning on going to a church here this morning....I can recommend!! I live here!! have a fab time here. Weather was foul yesterday, but should improve from now. Are you camping/caravan/cottage??

<now convinced this stalking is going a little too far grin >

There are some lovely people living here Tuo - I must find one wink

Dutchoma Mon 19-Aug-13 10:25:15

Nothing to add to the thread, my answer to everything is a paste of biological washing powder. You might still be able to try that. Make sure you use water that is hand warm

BlackeyedSusan Mon 19-Aug-13 10:51:29

the only thing I have found to get it out is dove soap. (the only soap I can use without getting dry scaly skin) and a liot of scrubbing. there is still faint trace of yellow.

the other optoion is to never wear a white/pale shirt with suncream. it is a nightmare.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 19-Aug-13 11:02:11

I have had a quick tidy for the delivery of a toddler bed from a friend. now I have got to pack and washup and all sorts of other things before heading off to my mum's house for a few days.

hoping that my mum and ds get on ok. he was particularly horrible to her last time. she is not looking forward to his visit.

Dutchoma Mon 19-Aug-13 11:03:01

Just thought: a Vanish bar might do the trick. Or washing it with some Vanish spray on the stains?

Dutchoma Mon 19-Aug-13 11:04:11

Overawed or not: he was an angel on Saturday. I even got a hug.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 19-Aug-13 12:31:30

well you must have made an impression DO as when wwe got back to the carpark after the umbrella fair, he was shouting about where is that lady aand was not pleased that, "that lady" was not there.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 19-Aug-13 14:15:28

agggh just aaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

leaving for mum's stress!

BlackeyedSusan Mon 19-Aug-13 14:16:29

oh and if you have a spare thought or two. please pray that i can book dd's party. she will be really disappointed if not. we are already a month late.

Prayers for the strength and energy to get through this week appreciated.

Badvoc Mon 19-Aug-13 15:15:22

Hope everyone's week is peaceful and not too stressful.
Please pray for my dad - we inter his ashes on weds morning.

JakeBullet Mon 19-Aug-13 15:57:19

Dear all, thank you everyone who has prayed and kept my Uncle in their thoughts. Sadly he passed away at 7.00am this morning bit importantly it was back home in his native Switzerland with my cousins around him. It was as peaceful and pain free a death as I could have hoped for him.

At 87 he had a very good long life which was lived well. Funeral is next week and my Mum and Dad will fly out for that. All very different there as they don't do Sympathy cards etc...they have the service and then everyone goes for a meal. My Mum is pleased to have been invited over as she wants to be able to say goodbye....it gives closure.

I am sad but also feel it was a release for him.

Dutchoma Mon 19-Aug-13 17:02:30

Of course you will feel sad Jake but it is also very natural to feel relief that his suffering is now over and he is at peace with the Lord.
Prayers for you Room that the week will go well, are you away from home again? Is dd3 sleeping a bit better?
And BES I am very pleased I made an impression because he was such a little love. Hope you can book dd's party soon. And best of luck with your mum and her ishoos.
I am very pleased because my clever niece in Holland managed to load some games on my computer which the lady who set the computer up could not do. Such a funny sight to see the mouse moving and screens come and go while you sit in front of the computer with your knitting not touching it.

Yes we're away and all sleeping in one room, DO. DH and I are leaders on a CYFA venture (a Christian 'camp' in a boarding school for 14-18 year olds). I'm so tired that I'm tearful and nauseas. DD3's sleep is erratic and the few good sleep habits she had have gone out the window. I want to go home sad

Dutchoma Tue 20-Aug-13 20:28:29

Sorry to hear that Room. No wonder you want to go home. Praying for as much rest and stamina as you need. Six people in one room is an awful lot especially as dd3 is still so little.

amberlight Thu 22-Aug-13 16:12:34

Praying through...

Kaykat Sat 24-Aug-13 14:05:31

My h has trashed our house so he can buy me out cheaper. I'm not panicking about it. It doesn't necessarily mean I will get less than I hoped. I am very certain through my bible reading that The Lord has promised me justice I read it over and over so it can't be coincidence. I have seen a lovely little cottage for sale at quite a cheap price with a lovely big garden and good location and DS loves it but it will need to stay on the market for another couple of months at least if its the right place for us. Prayers appreciated.

We survived! I'm running a bath to recover from the most uncomfortable beds that we slept in. Tonight I get to sleep in a comfortable bed. How blessed am I?!

Kay do you have to let him but you out? Can't you insist that the house is sold so that you get a fair price for your share and then he'll want it to sell for as much as possible?

Kaykat Sat 24-Aug-13 21:37:52

I know the games he plays he would stop anyone buying it by telling them lots of bad things and it would drag on for years because he wants to keep it.

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Sat 24-Aug-13 21:39:38

Praying, Kay - for you and your solicitor! Have you got one you trust?

urgent prayer request. In a bit of a panic. We have just been told that DS probably does not qualify for education in the UK simply because we have been out of the country. I am so furious. It is just 6 days before he starts the course and him starting the course is the whole reason he returned to this country. I really do not see how we can fund it ourselves - we just do not have that sort of money and are scrimping for DH to be volunteering in Cambodia anyway. Please pray for a loophole. This seems mad!!! We have paid taxes etc for the past 32 years and have just taken some time out to help other people.....now DS's future career plans could be dashed. I pray that God works in this and makes it possible for DS to do this course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now