A question for Catholics

(6 Posts)
1944girl Sun 28-Jul-13 21:21:24

Hello tacal.

I am catholic, and welcome to the church!.
In my diocese priests are addressed as Father, but official title, as others have said is revered
We also have deacons, who are addressed as reverend, or sometimes just by their first name.

tacal Fri 21-Jun-13 16:22:49

Thank you so much for your replies. I went to mass today and when I spoke to the priest I called him father. When I got home I looked up the church website and was really worried I had called him the wrong thing. You have put my mind at rest, thank you!

MinnesotaNice, I really hope you find a church you like as much as your old one. It took me a long time to find a church that I felt was the one for me and now I am also having to change Church for location reasons. If it goes well I will hopefully do the RCIA classes.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 21-Jun-13 14:55:26

It's father.
The reverend thing is just an official name IYKWIM.
It would be used to address him in a speech for example, Reverend father, ladies and gentlemen etc.

MinnesotaNice Fri 21-Jun-13 14:52:10

Not Catholic anymore, but grew-up as a Catholic and the priests was always addressed as Father (at least in the US). Good luck with your new church, we just relocated to the UK and are really struggling to find one we like as much as the one we had to leave when we moved.

FoxMulder Fri 21-Jun-13 14:43:09

It's Father. I think Reverend is the just official title.

tacal Fri 21-Jun-13 14:38:42

Hello,

I am going to start attending my local Catholic church. I see on the website that the priest has Rev before his name. How should I address him when I speak to him. Do I call him Reverend or do all priest get called father? I am in Scotland (if that makes a difference).

I was attending a church where all priests were called father but they had Father infront of their names on the church website.

What is the difference between father and Rev?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now