I really miss church BUT

(34 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Tue 28-May-13 21:39:49

it feels like it and God are a complete load of shit at the moment (the people at church itself are nice I mean The Church)

is there some way of reconciling these slightly opposing impulses?

EllieArroway Sun 09-Jun-13 10:46:13

Do I recognise your name as someone who trawls this board to encourage people to drop their faith? You may have an axe to grind about religion

No, you don't. I discuss issues - this is a discussion forum.

All that palaver - 2000 years at least - hasn't come from nowhere. Yes, it has.

springytate Sun 09-Jun-13 12:55:26

iyo! Do please clarify that this is yo. A discussion, I think, would include clarifying that whatever is one's opinion.

I was talking to OP, Dione, when I suggested baby/bathwater.

Of course she shouldn't force herself to believe whatever. That's just mad.

imo.

EllieArroway Sun 09-Jun-13 13:22:51

iyo! Do please clarify that this is yo. A discussion, I think, would include clarifying that whatever is one's opinion

No - it's not my opinion.

There's no evidence that Jesus even existed, let alone that the religion that has tediously dogged the western world for 2000 years is based on anything factual.

Same goes for any & all claims that the major religions make.

Anyway - I agree with Dione. If the OP is happy, that's the end of the matter. Telling her to talk to a god that (for sensible, sound reasons) she no longer really believes exists is arrogant & pointless.

If you want to discuss evidence for god/Jesus with me, springy, please feel free to join the YEC thread. You would be most welcome.

zulubump Sun 09-Jun-13 16:28:00

Hi Mitchy, I'd like to encourage you in line with what Springy has said. God can't heal and do amazing things without us to do them in partnership with him. I don't think God intervenes against our will, he works with us, if we let him. Also agree with Springy about being totally honest with God when we are confused/frustrated/angry. He wants to know how we really feel. If we can't be totally honest with God, who can we? I hope you can find a way to do this so that you don't have to throw God out along with The Church.

You say that the people at your church are nice. Is there anyone you trust that you can talk things over with? For me, finding Christian friends that I can trust and be honest with has been invaluable.

All the best to you Mitchy.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 09-Jun-13 18:16:00

God already knows how we feel. It's ourselves that we need to be honest with.

Dione I think sometimes it is in talking to God about how we really feel that we can sometimes acknowledge it for ourselves.

Mitchy1nge how are you doing? You said you miss church, what is it you miss? As I said a way back I am a Christian.

I feel our relationship with God is very important and sometimes we can be part of a church for a long time without actually connecting to God.

It can sometimes feel like God is absent from the world, but I do not believe he is. Ultimately all of us will make the decisions about what we feel about God for ourselves. Despite what people may say God (or our concept of God if you do not believe God is real) is a very big part of our wider society and concept of ourselves as people. That is why I think (Personal opinion here, of course) it is a very big thing for people to feel they are rejecting God. It may be that if you were brought up in the church you are only now really challenging the beliefs you were brought up with. The fact you came onto Mumsnet to start a thread about this topic suggests it is quite important to you (or is that my imgaination?)

All best wishes, Mitchy1nge.

Lyall3b Fri 21-Jun-13 17:39:47

Perhaps find an Alpha course to see if you can work out the areas that upset you.
www.alpha.org

lavenderpekins Tue 09-Jul-13 11:02:46

If you want some inspiration google a film called father of light you can stream it for free. Its incredible and i'm a christian by the way x

I love this quote from jeffery R Holland, "So be kind regarding human frailty—your own as well as that of those who serve with you in a Church led by volunteer, mortal men and women. Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we. And when you see imperfection, remember that the limitation is not in the divinity of the work."

I think it may apply here. Sorry if it doesn't.

The rest of his talk is here (he is an apostle in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/lord-i-believe?lang=eng you might enjoy it/find it interesting too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now