Atheists... some questions

(27 Posts)

1) do you describe yourself as an atheist or something else?
2) do you celebrate any holidays?
3) do you teach your kids what you believe?

Answering my own questions smile

1) I usually think of myself as a secular humanist, but often I will say atheist because it is easier. Sometimes I describe us as "non-church goers" if I want the conversation to continue without derailment, i.e. there is a more salient point that will be lost if the conversation veers.

2) We used to celebrate Christmas and Easter as cultural holidays from our childhood but decided as a family to recognise the soltices and equinoxes instead and make our own traditions.

3) yes, when they have asked about my beliefs but I also have taught them what other faiths believe. My kids know that they are free to make their own choices.

1) Atheist. Or humanist, or rational person, depending on who's asking and why, and how much I want to wind the questioner up.

2) Yes, loads. New Year, Burns Night, Pancake Day, Easter, St George's Day, May Day, Midsummer, Halloween, Bonfire Night and Christmas, and quite probably a few more that I have forgotten about. If DS had his way we would 'celebrate' Diwali and Eid and the rest as well but I am a little bit squeamish about inadvertently being rude and clueless about cultures I have very little knowledge of. All festivals are really a way of marking the turning of the seasons and having fun with family and friends.

3) A bit. It mostly consists (at the moment) of answering questions and pointing out that a lot of the main festivals are seasonal and have a variety of different stories attached to these particular times of the year, and that some people think some of them are 'true' stories, but they aren't.

technodad Sat 06-Apr-13 09:02:15

1) Atheist
2) we celebrate Christmas because it is fun (and discuss why our society celebrates it). People buy DCs chocolate eggs at Easter. After all, Jesus died for our sins and Jesus was made of chocolate...
3) I don't "believe" in anything, so I teach my kids to have the same questioning and critical approach to life. My kids are taught about other people's beliefs and how those beliefs shape society.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now