I have the 'woo' gene, do you?

(217 Posts)
IndigoBarbie Sat 30-Mar-13 19:56:58

smile A nicely coined phrase from another thread. I have it, I do believe grin

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 09-Apr-13 10:54:18

Pedro, are all your dreams the same or are some more significant than others?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 09-Apr-13 14:08:28

Some are more vivid, but that doesn't make them more significant.

IndigoBarbie Tue 09-Apr-13 14:21:27

Hi there, well - I guess that they'd only be reliable to fortunetell if I ever shared them with those I dream about, and had the guts to tell them. But, once the time has passed and something happens as I dreamt it, or similar to what I saw in the dream, then I know.

I actually try to do some good in the world with my experiences, and it's one of the reasons I post on mumsnet. As you can see, it's not just me who has these experiences so it means its interesting to hear others take on things too. We are all here to learn from each other?

It's actually good to be able to have feedback and points of view from lots of different aspects, and not be shot down in flames for saying - hey - not only do I talk to angels and see dead people randomly popping in to say hello- I have dreams that come true and I'm not afraid to share them. Whilst, I have that electromagnetic force field interpretation thing going on too. Whoooo. I am not alone.

Twosugarsplease Tue 09-Apr-13 18:00:15

It's more of the simple thing in life for me pedro
I don't expect my mum or sis to ring if I dreamt the night before they have, I know they will, and they do.

Here's another one, last night I dreamt I came downstairs to lots of post, early morning, I was surprised to see the post so early, as always comes between 11 & 12. ALWAYS this morning post was here by 8.30 smile

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 09-Apr-13 19:04:27

sugars that's amazing, really it is!

Do all of your dreams come true?

Twosugarsplease Tue 09-Apr-13 20:13:24

I don't think it's amazing just something our 6th sense enables us to do, though some of us don't know it / believe it or completely dismiss it.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 09-Apr-13 22:20:09

You didn't answer the question though..... Do all your dreams come true?

And also, what do you think the 6th sense is?

Twosugarsplease Wed 10-Apr-13 17:05:38

No all my dreams don't come true, some of them I wish, and some of them... No thank-you, but the odd one does yes.

I think our 6th sense is exactly this, what most of us are sharing with each other. Our dreams, for one, our experiences, how receptable/sensitive we are to some things other people are not.

I think we all have a 6th sense and I'm just sharing that the odd dream I have, can sometimes happen.
Sharing experiences I believe to be true.

bumbleymummy Wed 10-Apr-13 17:55:35

I read an article recently about sixth sense in rats. Some sort of experiments where the rats were sensing infra red light. Wasn't there also something about us actually having an ability to sense the earth's magnetic field in the same way as birds/insects but we aren't aware of it?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 10-Apr-13 18:10:13

No all my dreams don't come true, some of them I wish, and some of them... No thank-you, but the odd one does yes.

So then they're not really much use as a premonition are they? The odd one coming true can easily be attributed to a coincidence, with perhaps a dashing of rationale (like dreaming you were late for work when you went to bed late and subsequently overslept).

bumbley depending on how you want to count them, humans have around 14 to 20 senses. For example, you can sense, light, colour, heat, cold, pain, itch, pressure. Your muscles can sense tension and motion so you know where your limbs are, your bladder can sense when it's full as can your large intestine, your ears can sense your orientation to the earth's magnetic field (balance), etc.

Although I don't think any of these are the '6th sense' being alluded to here.

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Apr-13 18:18:37

"something about us actually having an ability to sense the earth's magnetic field in the same way as birds/insects but we aren't aware of it"

What does it mean for everyone to have an ability that nobody is aware of? confused

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 10-Apr-13 19:05:29

As I put above cote, not sure if you saw it, we can detect it in terms of our orientation in our ears. But you're right in general, there's no point in having a sense we can't sense!

bumbleymummy Wed 10-Apr-13 19:10:49

No pedro, I don't think they are.

I think the experiment showed that we should have this ability, that we are actually capable of it, but we don't use it. It was something to do with fruit flies iirc...

bumbleymummy Wed 10-Apr-13 19:12:40

Quick google brought this up - don't think it's the same article I read originally but, on a quick glance, it seems to be talking about the same thing!

Here

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 10-Apr-13 19:18:07

Ahhh, I've found this wiki page on Magnetoception.

Seems like there's been some positive tests in humans but nothing to suggest we are innately capable of Magnetoception.

Twosugarsplease Wed 10-Apr-13 19:25:47

pedro I'm not saying my dreams are or that i even think I'm 'woo' because sometimes I do dream the odd thing that, does happen the next day.
I'm no mystic meg and do not claim to be, I'm just a mum of 4 hitting my 40's and I'm sharing on a thread asking if '*any of us have the woo gene ?*
I have like others been in conversation on many meanings of woo and experiences, I have the odd dream of simple things that do actually happen the next day. It's no big deal. It happens, so I'm sharing for those that are interested.
I'm not at all particularly bothered in the science of it all, for anyone who doesn't have an experience of anything at all, I understand the need for it to be explained.

cote from my small handful of experiences, it means a lot, and very glad I have had them, I may experience something else again, but there are others who could probably answer that question much better.

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Apr-13 19:54:11

TwoSugars - I have no idea what you just said to me confused except maybe that you have completely misunderstood my point.

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Apr-13 19:56:10

bumbley - That article seems to be saying that humans have a protein that some birds use for detecting magnetic fields.

That doesn't mean that we "should" have this ability and the article isn't saying any such thing.

Twosugarsplease Wed 10-Apr-13 20:11:26

cote you asked everyone what it means to have an ability that no one is aware of ?
Apologies, I was not very clear as to what I was replying to.

Whoever it was who heard noisy footsteps: do you live in the Midlands, and did this happen about 10 years ago?
I ask because I was once in a friend's house in Nottingham, quite late in the evening, and there was a sound like loud footsteps upstairs. A moment later, friend emerged from the downstairs bog and asked me and his flatmate, who was also standing in the sitting room, which one of us had been jumping about in his bedroom.

We had all been downstairs. So I got the breadknife and marched upstairs to see off any little scratters who'd got in by the window with an eye to burgling, but there was no one there.

Now if we had been silly woo-heads we might have clutched each other and squealed and called an exorcist or something. As it was, we shrugged a bit, and the flatmate said it sounded more like an earthquake, and I remembered reading that there is an earthquake faultline in the Midlands.

In fact, it was an earthquake, a very minor one, with the epicentre being in Dudley. So an unlikely and unusual explanation for a funny noise, but a true one.

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Apr-13 20:13:56

TwoSugars - Yes, I did understand what you were replying to. And no, you really haven't understood what I was asking.

Try reading it again.

Twosugarsplease Wed 10-Apr-13 20:23:30

what does it mean to have an ability that no-body is aware of ?
I replied, or are you just asking for kicks ?

I don't see how my reply confused you, or did you just want a reaction ?

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Apr-13 20:25:44

Do you have a problem with English comprehension? hmm

That is not my question.

My question was:

What does it mean for everyone to have an ability that nobody is aware of?

Twosugarsplease Wed 10-Apr-13 20:32:51

...and my reply was, that in my experience it means a lot, glad I had the ability to have seen what I saw, see in my dreams etc confused

Others have much much more of an ability, and could reply in more depth.

Please don't be so rude and patronising.

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Apr-13 20:34:55

Please someone explain to TwoSugars what that question means. We have complete communication failure. Or maybe it is the "woo gene" preventing her from comprehending what I would think is simple English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now