I have the 'woo' gene, do you?

(217 Posts)
IndigoBarbie Sat 30-Mar-13 19:56:58

smile A nicely coined phrase from another thread. I have it, I do believe grin

Twosugarsplease Fri 05-Apr-13 20:19:34

Yes sunny why not blush

Sunnywithshowers Fri 05-Apr-13 20:48:11

No need for blush, I've got ratty and been deleted for it before grin

My late GF was a very un-woo man (apart from his brief flirtation with Mormonism). He was a 'bloody Yorkshireman' (his words).

My great-uncle was found dead in his flat with no obvious cause of death - he was about 65. He'd been sent home from WWII with shell shock and was mentally ill his whole life. Grandad had no time for him (ex career-soldier and proud of it).

The night of the funeral GF was in bed and heard GU calling 'Help me' from the end of the road. He felt that he should pray, and prayed that Uncle C would get help. Uncle C went away.

EllieArroway Fri 05-Apr-13 20:50:26

I've got ratty and been deleted for it before

Me too. I had to apologise to someone the other day as well - it happens. Don't worry about it. Have some wine

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 05-Apr-13 21:05:46

I don't have the woo gene, but I do have the asparagus pee gene!

Twosugarsplease Fri 05-Apr-13 21:11:08

I just feel very passionate about these subjects, only because of what I've heard and have experienced myself.
I just don't explain things very well.

sudaname Fri 05-Apr-13 21:13:33

Please explain LittleFelief - as long as it's not a scary phenomena as it has gone dark now and l am very easily able to scare myself to death by listening to or watching anything even slightly whooo after dark.

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 05-Apr-13 21:15:49

Its not scary, just some people
's urine smells bad after eating asparagus, some can smell it, some can't. Sadly I can! sad

sittinginthesun Fri 05-Apr-13 21:19:59

I think I've got a bit if the woo gene. I'm rational, logical, boringly sensible, but I've seen a real live orb. Twice. Frightened the life out of me the first time.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 05-Apr-13 21:20:01

Me too LittleFeile - it puts me right off it smile

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 05-Apr-13 21:31:10

It hasn't kept me from loving Asparagus. I think I'm a bit daft as every time after eating it I'm surprised in the loo!

Twosugarsplease Fri 05-Apr-13 21:38:30

sittinginthesun please share smile

Sunnywithshowers Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:30

A real live orb? I'd like to hear more too please. smile

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 05-Apr-13 21:42:47

For the record, last night whist DW was tending to a teething DS, I was lying in bed and heard a sound which was unmistakably DW pushing open the bedroom door (door was ajar). When I looked around, no sign of her, door hadn't moved. Now, I could put this down to ghosts or something, I could tell you that I know what I heard and it was definitely the door. But seeing as I'm a bit more rational than that, I'm certain that it was not a ghost, but more likely a sound from outside (was a bit windy) that just happened to catch my ears in a certain way and I was conscious of waiting for DW to return to the room anyway, so probably my brain doing some funny stuff.

Point is, I could easily convince myself there was something supernatural going on if I believed in it and I think this is exactly what happens when people have funny experiences and suddenly 'know' god, or similar.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 05-Apr-13 21:43:51

Is this some special woo definition of orb or just a sphere of some sort?

sittinginthesun Fri 05-Apr-13 22:09:42

I think it was a woo orb.

Sad, difficult time, as my Dad was terminally ill. I was at another relative's funeral, lots of people in the church, and I just had a weird feeling when they brought the coffin in.

A saw a light behind me, looked up, and saw a crackling, golden ball of light, and knew it was my relative. I just saw him. He sort of fizzed, and then vanished. I grabbed DH to look, but it had gone.

I was very shaken and unsettled for ages, but then had a vivid dream where my relative told me I hadn't imagined it. He mentioned other stuff, which made little sense, but I phoned his widow that day, and told her all about it - she burst into tears, said it all made sense to her. Her daughter phoned an hour later, to tell me about an almost identical experience she'd had some years before.

A couple of years later, I had a very similar but happy experience in a church in France. I was my late great grandma - like a crack in the ceiling and fizzing shining light. Just for a split second.

Honestly, I am not into this stuff, but it was the most amazing, clear, vivid experience.

I was chatting to a vicar some months later (not for religious reasons, as I'm not a church person, but met her socially). I asked her about it, and she just said that when people said they had "seen the light", they just knew.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 06-Apr-13 09:10:09

I was always given the impression that "seeing the light" was to do with imminent death and the light of the gates of heaven. But I guess Christians are pretty good at manipulating the language to suit any given situation.

sittinginthesun Sat 06-Apr-13 09:39:12

Yes, I thought that too. It wasn't a particularly religious experience, although both times I was in a church. And the second time, I swore I heard a sort of noise when it happened.

Still makes me smile when I think about it.

EllieArroway Sat 06-Apr-13 13:54:05

Sitting Can I ask, out of interest - if you went back to the church at the same time of year and same time of day and saw the same thing again, but this time were able to study it for longer and saw that it had a mundane explanation (sunlight bouncing off something, for example), would you feel a bit disappointed?

I'm not saying it was sunlight, I wasn't there so I don't know - but imagine, hypothetically, that it was something like that, would you feel a bit sad?

sittinginthesun Sat 06-Apr-13 16:01:44

I'm not sure. I wasn't expecting it, and it actually scared me at first. I know I was in a strange time in my life, as my dad was dying and I suppose, logically I could have been looking for support or comfort.

The thing is, I had no idea what I had seen. I thought it was light through a window at first, which is why I turned to look, but there wasn't a window and it was a grim, rainy day. It was a crackling golden ball of light, and I just knew who it was. It was as if I could see his face.

It was only years later I even found out that these things had a name.

I am pretty boring and unbelieving usually, but this was just unexpected, and so clear...

CoteDAzur Sat 06-Apr-13 19:21:06

What is an "orb"? Is this woo language?

EllieArroway Sat 06-Apr-13 19:33:17

Ghosts in the form of a ball of light, Cote. They are completely proven true - we have pictures of them and everything.

Now, I hope you aren't alone because this is going to scare you......
southjerseyghostresearch.org/cases/roc1-dj930b.JPG

Eeeek!

EllieArroway Sat 06-Apr-13 19:33:39

(Taking the piss out of the picture, Sunny - not you. Promise).

EllieArroway Sat 06-Apr-13 19:34:51

Sitting I mean.

sittinginthesun Sat 06-Apr-13 21:19:57

I had no idea people photographed them. smile

I did wonder afterwards whether it was because my relative was such a charismatic individual. He was ill but was still very energetic and had so much more to give. I think he just wanted to pop into his funeral and see who was there. I felt a bit like I just happened to see him - he wasn't actually there because of me.

The second time, it was far more like a crack in the ceiling, a flash of crackling golden light, and a recognition of faces. And a warm hug.

CoteDAzur Sat 06-Apr-13 21:26:49

"no idea people photographed them"

Nobody can photograph light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now