Is an Ivory communion dress ok?

(34 Posts)
PotPourri Fri 29-Mar-13 16:14:52

Got 2 white ones from family, both are massive on DD. Have another ivory dress that fits (bridesmaid one). Will it be ok to use do you think?

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Apr-13 13:50:39

Ok dd's dress arrived and although it was sold as white it's defiantly off- white in the way silk is ( although its not silk). The style and matching cardigan and veil are all really lovely and I don't want to start trawling the shops again so will probably be sticking with it........so what do people do about shoes for such dresses? White shoes won't look quite right, will they?

Gingerdodger Sat 06-Apr-13 15:31:05

Next did a few last year and I ordered 3 different pairs and just took back the ones we didn't want. They did vary in their 'whiteness' though, maybe just need to try some up against the dress and see what suits.

I bought DD1's shoes from the BHS bridesmaid range - admittedly a few years ago. Looking in there recently they all seemed to be shades of ivory, so may be a good place to start if you want a satin pair.

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Apr-13 19:35:31

I've found some ivoryish shoes - please come and tell me off white is ok.....we are only having 5 dc at a time taking their FHC so it's not like their is going to be lots of completion on the day.

I'm still looking at dresses on line and am contemplating a 400 mile round trip to the shop in Berkshire. Dh thinks I'm being ridiculous.

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Apr-13 19:36:17

There

Dds was a very simple ivory affair. It looked lovely and nobody commented that it wasn't white white.

Gingerdodger Sun 07-Apr-13 11:29:29

I don't think there is such a thing as white white as the different materials all make the dresses appear different shades. If she is happy and you are happy will just be a beautiful day.

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Apr-13 12:42:43

Yes, Gingerdodger I think there are 300 shades of white, or something.

I've just bought some bridesmaids shoes from the JL website which say "will go with any ivory or white dress" Apparently.

PotPourri I think ivory will look gorgeous with red hair.

SKHOOLE Thu 18-Apr-13 23:37:31

Hi. I have read this thread but am still unsure about the whole ivory communion dress thing. Any more thoughts... My daughter's not too bothered about the dress - just wants one that isn't 'scratchy' / uncomfortable. Saw one on ebay and got it for £11 which she looks lovely in and she likes. Trouble is, it is ivory and whilst it is plain compared to others I've seen it does have appliqued flowers (in the same cotton fabric the dress is made from) on the skirt. Have just reread this - it sounds awful - but it is a simple, pretty dress ... it's just irritating that it's ivory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now