Your Thoughts on This Religious Ad in Local Newspaper?

(74 Posts)
headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 09:58:37

Here

Its pretty much on the front cover apart from an advertising sleve promoting a new local superstore. Isn't it a bit dodgy that there is nothing to suggest it's an advertisement by way of no info at the bottom to state as such. Doesn't it appear to be merely an endorsement of the newspaper? Would the newspaper have been as happy to have run a similar ad for a different religion or indeed a rejection of religion? I dunno I just find it irritating that in 2013 we still have this.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 29-Mar-13 22:08:32

No one in their right mind would expect a fresh takeaway coffee to not be hot enough to burn you, but they still have to put a warning on the cup.

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 23:06:09

Well it seems I was probably wrong in my earlier post - from Wikipedia Advertorial :

"Legal issues

In the UK, the Advertising Standards Authority requires advertorials to be clearly marked as such. In one case, the Scottish newspaper The Herald published a feature titled "Professional Brief" that had been submitted by Glasgow-based French Duncan Chartered Accountants. According to a complaint, it did not clearly indicate that it was a paid advertisement. The newspaper argued that, because it was a "sponsored column" and it was indicated that the opinions expressed were those of the author, it did not have to refer to it as an advertisement. The ASA responded that, because payment was given in exchange for the publication of the columns and because the content was provided by the marketers rather than the newspaper, they considered the columns advertisements and required that they indicate as much.[4]"

Naughty Jesus / Barry!

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 06:57:26

it only needs to be marked if it looks like editorial - the one we're discussing looks nothing like editorial. not even remotely.

HelleBelles, it doesn't look like editorial but it could easily be an informative box-out - something reminding you to put the clocks forward, a tide table, a list of useful telephone numbers, bus timetable, notification that there is a competition on p37 - any manner of useful at-a-glance facts or small 'house ads' that could be included on the front page to fill some space.

I think it's a bit weird. I wouldn't be happy putting it on my front page, paid or not.

bootsycollins Sat 30-Mar-13 07:42:28

Is Peter Sutcliffe being released from prison this weekend? Looks like Peter Tobin too, is it an advert from neighbourhood watch warning us to be eggsta vigilant with home security this weekend? grin

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 07:50:01

except it's blatently not.

Tee2072 Sat 30-Mar-13 07:53:20

Why is Jesus always white? It's ridiculous, considering where he was supposedly born.

And my thoughts are that it is so patently ridiculous as to not matter who placed the 'ad'.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 30-Mar-13 09:02:57

except it's blatently not. Not to you, maybe. Probably not to most people who'll see it. But rules are rules whether you think they are stupid or not (see coffee comment above).

If some whacko took it to be fact and started up a suicide cult and a load of people died and this 'advert' got blamed, there'd be a lot of egg required to paint faces with.

Sounds stupid, but weirder things have happened and newspapers have been sued for much less.

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:12:45

to summarise:

some manipulative loon might take a particularly poor and uninspiring example of an advert and build a cult around it?

and this would somehow be prevented by having the word advert printed at the top of it?

imho this thread is bizarre.

if you want to get upset about newspapers, what about adverts enticing people to surgically "improve" their bodies or the fact that several papers still allow gratuitous nudity?

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:19:01

and pedro that advert doesn't contravene any rules -

it is not inflammatory,

some might argue that it is factually incorrect but a court is unlikely to rule against faith-groups sending messages about their holy times,

it isn't presented as editorial,

it doesn't show or promote anything illegal,

yes it's creepy, badly designed and set - that doesn't make it against the rules.

bootsycollins Sat 30-Mar-13 09:24:48

Jesus has really let himself go

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 30-Mar-13 10:01:05

But it's still an advert and adverts should be labeled as such. Why should a religious group be allowed to circumvent the law?

headinhands Sat 30-Mar-13 10:02:04

I don't feel upset. I just thought ads needed to be clear they were paid for. But as I said I'm not knowledgable in these things. So in theory I could run an ad that had a picture of a crystal with the words 'crystals are good for you, get loads of crystals and you'll feel better' or something and there wouldn't have to be the word 'advertisement' on it or have the sponsor named anywhere? Seems bizarre but heyho.

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 12:34:55

adverts do not have to be labelled.

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 12:38:55

headinhands - if it was set to look like editorial then it would need to be labelled as an advert.

claims of healing would need to be supported by a testimonial or research.

HellesBelles396 Sat 30-Mar-13 12:43:32

pedro they haven't circumvented the law.

it's an advert

it looks like an advert (albeit or poor design and content)

it's in an advertising position.

there is no issue with it other than that the wording is creepy, the grammar is poor and the layout appalling. oh, and Jesus probably didn't look like a white man. none of which is against the law or advertising standards.

if a newspaper refused to run it because it advertises Christianity, that would be against the law - discrimination rather than advertising standards.

LizzyDay Sat 30-Mar-13 12:47:00

The problem seems to stem from the lack of any information about who has placed the ad though, leading to confusion about its origin.

Whoever wrote the ad presumably wanted the woo-factor of making it seem as though Jesus himself had phoned up the ad desk to flag up his imminent return. Or even as if the piece had mysteriously appeared on the presses all by itself.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Sat 30-Mar-13 12:54:30

Whoa, that's creepy! Quoted from the non-canonical Stalker Gospel presumably?

But it does look different enough from a newspaper article not to fall foul of the regs IMO.

Grammatically incorrect, slightly threatening and with a creepy picture looking like a tamed neanderthal. Just the sort of thing I like to line the cat litter tray with.

I'm slightly surprised in this day and age (with rules for everything after all) that it can say "I'm alive and I'm coming back" and "You will be ready" without any explanation or disclaimer type thing - even the word "advert" ?

IndigoBarbie Mon 01-Apr-13 16:45:36

The image used is by an artist Akiane:
www.artakiane.com/ the painting is named prince of peace

EllieArroway Mon 01-Apr-13 19:19:34

I don't want that bloke coming into my life no matter who he is!

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 01-Apr-13 19:23:58

You should be ok if he hasn't turned up yet. But just to be sure you might want to check for any rocks or stones in your garden which aren't where they used to be....

specialsubject Mon 01-Apr-13 19:27:15

I'd have a good laugh at the obvious blunder, and then buy another paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now