Your Thoughts on This Religious Ad in Local Newspaper?

(74 Posts)
headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 09:58:37

Here

Its pretty much on the front cover apart from an advertising sleve promoting a new local superstore. Isn't it a bit dodgy that there is nothing to suggest it's an advertisement by way of no info at the bottom to state as such. Doesn't it appear to be merely an endorsement of the newspaper? Would the newspaper have been as happy to have run a similar ad for a different religion or indeed a rejection of religion? I dunno I just find it irritating that in 2013 we still have this.

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 11:53:19

oh yes he does look like Peter Sutcliffe shock

Gingerdodger Fri 29-Mar-13 12:01:38

So bad it's comical! Looks like it was dredged back from the 1970s!

I would have thought that it would have been better to have had links to local churches so that those who found it 'applicable' knew they were welcome in those places if they wished.

I don't see anything offensive about it though, but then neither could I if it was advertising another faith or atheism. There was loads of atheist 'adverts' on the buses a year or two back. Never offended me, can't even remember what they said.

Think the only one who should be offended by this is Jesus, for being presented as a Barry Manilow lookalikey who speaks like a tax returns officer....but then we know he would turn the other cheek. [grins]

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 12:04:22

But I do agree with you OP that it's odd from an editorial point of view.

It should be made clear if it's an ad - maybe the subs thought it wouldn't be 'respectful' or something to put 'advertisement' on the border??

If it IS the editor's own little indulgence and not an ad, then definitely hmm ...

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 12:11:43

No, yeah, no, that's the issue. I'm not offended just surprised you can run ads that look like it's the editors opinion and that be okay. But I bloody love a bit of Manly Barrilow from time to time.

Abra1d Fri 29-Mar-13 12:14:16

How dreadful that someone puts a Christian advert in a newspaper on Good Friday of all days.

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 12:16:47

I lurve Barry...
"Spirits move me, every time I'm near you
Whirling like a cyclone in my mind
You're my life line, angel of my lifetime
Answer to all answers I can find"

Maybe Baz IS the new messiah shock

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 12:20:24

"Just One Voice,
Singing in the darkness,
All it takes is One Voice,
Singing so they hear what's on your mind,
And when you look around you'll find
There's more than
One Voice,

Singing in the darkness,
Joining with your One Voice,
Each and every note another octave,
Hands are joined and fears unlocked,
If only
One Voice
Would start it on its own
We need just One Voice
Facing the unknown,
And that One Voice
Would never be alone
It takes that One Voice."

OMG I think we're on to something!

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 12:28:41

Abra, it's that there's nothing to suggest it's an advert. You're missing the point Wouldn't have even noticed if it was obviously an ad.

Hmm, slightly creepy especially "You will be ready" and funny, particularly "if applicable" grin And sure OP, you'd think there'd be some clue who it was sponsored by ?!

Snorbs Fri 29-Mar-13 12:37:09

Is that supposed to be Jesus? Looking remarkably white for a middle-eastern Jew, isn't he?

thegreatestMadHairDayinhistory Fri 29-Mar-13 12:52:59

arf at Manly Barrilow

Badly done with terrible picture and serious editing issues. 'you will be ready' sounds creepy. I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was good, being a Christian and all that. But it's not really, is it <facepalm>

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 29-Mar-13 13:15:45

I, for one, will be keeping all my windows and doors locked this weekend. I don't want Barry Manilow coming for me.

PearlyWhites Fri 29-Mar-13 13:46:02

I assume you will be declining to take Friday off work seeing as Good Friday offends you so much.

sieglinde Fri 29-Mar-13 13:52:11

I agree it's appalling, but don't see that it's more than tasteless and weird.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 14:03:57

Maybe I forgot to mention my issue with the ad, it's that it's made to look like it's just something the Ed. has stuck in as opposed to a paid for advertisement. Has anyone here said they're offended? Would it be equally okay for me to put an ad in next week promoting crystal healing and make the ad look like it was the newspaper's own feelings as opposed to a third party? I thought that was naughty? I have little idea of the law about these things. In hindsight I should have put this on the legal board.

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 14:09:15

I can't see anyone except the BBC being constrained by this - if it's a privately owned publication I think they can do what they like as long as it's not breaching laws such as those to do with inciting hatred, profanity, indecency, etc.

Whether it would be a good PR move for a local paper which presumably wants to attract sales from a wide section of the local community is another question.

infamouspoo Fri 29-Mar-13 14:16:31

will he be wearing his white sequenned suit, our Baz?

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 17:04:21

On Easter Sunday, he'll definitely be wearing a white suit.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 29-Mar-13 20:25:57

Head, it sounds like people are jumping to some pretty strange conclusions about your concern for this ad without any evidence to support their theories (boy, that sounds familiar....). But for what it's worth, I'm with you on this one, I thought there were rules about advertisement indication in print to avoid potential confusion between advertising and news stories (like if your advert showed a fictional plane crash for example).

greencolorpack Fri 29-Mar-13 20:30:28

I don't like the picture. Nobody knows what Jesus was meant to look like so the idea of him being all hippyish and beardy just reflects a certain fashion at a certain time. Early iconography had him as clean shaven (think the Hinton st Mary mosaic) so I resent anyone trying to make out they know what he looks like.

Apart from that... Well why not?

It's laughable.

Zombie Jesus: He died for your sins, now he's coming back for your braaaaiiiinnnsss.

twentythirteen Fri 29-Mar-13 20:36:40

grammar!!! Sorry, I know that's not your point. I agree with you op.

Gingerdodger Fri 29-Mar-13 21:19:10

Is it definitely an advert? If so then I think you are right.

If it's something the paper has chosen to publish then I am not sure that there is anything to prohibit the publication. All newspapers publish f

Gingerdodger Fri 29-Mar-13 21:24:07

Argh. Reaching over for glass of wine moment.

All newspapers publish from a perspective. My own local newspaper is somewhere to the right of Margaret Thatcher so I choose not to buy it. Seems somewhat odd decision though. Is it a free newspaper?

HellesBelles396 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:27:55

I disagree with the op:

bottom right of front page is a classic advertising position

the slot has a border of a type that editorial in news never does

no news sub-editor worth their salt would have "good Friday" in an article

the type is way too big for editorial

the layout is completely wrong for editorial

nobody in their right mind would think that was editorial - which makes me suspect that the placer of the advert was in fact the op who is disseminating it now via MN!

don't just be afraid of ethnically-unrealistic and grammatically-incapable jesus-wannabe stalker man but of his marketing mastermind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now