Your Thoughts on This Religious Ad in Local Newspaper?

(74 Posts)
headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 09:58:37

Here

Its pretty much on the front cover apart from an advertising sleve promoting a new local superstore. Isn't it a bit dodgy that there is nothing to suggest it's an advertisement by way of no info at the bottom to state as such. Doesn't it appear to be merely an endorsement of the newspaper? Would the newspaper have been as happy to have run a similar ad for a different religion or indeed a rejection of religion? I dunno I just find it irritating that in 2013 we still have this.

hiddenhome Fri 29-Mar-13 10:56:27

Spreading the Christian message? Shocking isn't it?

infamouspoo Fri 29-Mar-13 10:59:04

how would people react if it was for islam or wicca?

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:09:37

Hidden you don't think there's a problem with it not having any further details attached? That people can advertise things without it being clear who has paid for the ad. I think in most other circumstances the newspaper would want it to be clear that it was a third party. How would you feel if there was a similar anonymous ad endorsing a different religion or anything else for that matter. Would you be happy about that?

hiddenhome Fri 29-Mar-13 11:11:21

If it didn't interest me, I'd just ignore it naturally.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:16:16

Fairness does interest me and it appears the rules are different for certain groups.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:17:46

It's the fact that it tries to not look like an ad that bothers me. It's misleading.

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 11:18:39

I'd think "whatever", and briefly wonder who thought depicting Jesus with that hairstyle was a good idea. It's a bit Barry Manilow.

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 11:20:04

How to you consider it misleading, headinhands?

It doesn't look like a news article to me.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:20:39

Maybe it's not even about Jesus. Maybe it's some guy who did a life insurance scam job by faking his own death, and now he's used this clever ad to let his wife know he's coming back after a dodgy makeover.

Startail Fri 29-Mar-13 11:21:35

As long as the paper is happy to accept humanist/athiest adds like the London bus ones I don't see a problem.
It reminds you to buy yourEaster eggs and not try and go shopping on Sunday.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:25:14

There's no affiliation. I would have thought there'd be 'come to our church' type gubbins on it, there's nothing to say it's not merely the opinion of the newspaper themselves. I thought that was a no-no? Maybe I'm wrong? So there's nothing to stop me doing similar anonymous ad promoting hypnotherapy? Seems wrong.

hiddenhome Fri 29-Mar-13 11:27:18

All newspapers peddle 'opinions'.

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 11:28:05

The wording is a bit odd

"if applicable Good Friday" (Why wouldn't Good Friday be applicable)? confused and "you will be ready."

Will I really? Not if I've become a Muslim before then.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:31:42

I loved that 'if applicable'. It reads like a tax return!

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:33:22

'and you will be ready for me' sounds a tad threatening. It's like 'I'm coming up stairs in a minute and your room will be tidy'.

headinhands Fri 29-Mar-13 11:34:34

Yes but there's rules about the peddling hidden.

infamouspoo Fri 29-Mar-13 11:34:48

lol at Barry Manilow hairstyle. Maybe he's releaesing a new album grin

LaLaGabby Fri 29-Mar-13 11:36:10

Lynette, I think the wording was written down like that so that the person doing the ad layout would put 'tomorrow' on Thursday and 'Good friday' the rest of the week, unfortunately they messed it up. grin

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 11:37:26

I'm off to Google to find out if Barry released a new album yesterday, or in some places today......

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 11:38:23

LaLaGabby, I think you're right, which makes it really funny. grin

That is the best creepy-stalker ad ever!
Seriously the whole thing is demented. I'm not sure really what else to think except Arf!

Monstermuncher Fri 29-Mar-13 11:39:45

Bad choice of photo. He looks like Peter Sutcliffe (aka Yorkshire Ripper). I dont have an issue with it but the picture and the wording make it a bit odd to say the least

LadyKinbote Fri 29-Mar-13 11:42:32

That advert is so amazingly bad it almost makes me want to join Christianity despite a lifetime of atheism! So it's clearly done the trick grin

LizzyDay Fri 29-Mar-13 11:52:19

That is hilarious . Creepy and ungrammatical. Good to see he didn't forget to have his eyebrows shaped before the pic was taken too.

Quite disappointed he doesn't feature in our local paper sad - I'd like to pin a copy on the fridge for whenever I'm fed up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now