The Muslim Tearoom

(1000 Posts)
HardlyEverHoovers Wed 20-Mar-13 15:25:06

Salaams/peace to all! I'm already missing our old thread, so taking the bull by the horns and opening our very own Muslim Tearoom, all welcome (non-Muslims too of course), to chat, share, ask questions etc etc. Imagine a cosy cafe with floor cushions, tea and coffee of all kinds, and lovely cakes! Please join me!

Farhana110786 Wed 20-Mar-13 18:00:59

Salaam to you too. Cosy Cafe with floor cushions and cakes sounds lovely smile What happened to the old thread?

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 20-Mar-13 19:11:08

Salaam, welcome! It dwindled out at nearly 1000 messages, this one...
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/philosophy_religion_spirituality/1626217-Just-curious-how-many-muslims-are-on-mumsnet
I don't remember seeing your name on there.

CoteDAzur Thu 21-Mar-13 16:49:32

Marking my place smile

crescentmoon England Thu 21-Mar-13 18:14:10

Awwwohhhh hardly! Didnt realise you'd started a new thread how am I going to keep away? Jazakhallah khair anyway for starting a new one. Iv been s.t.r.e.s.s.e.d out recently lots of things piling on me at once BUT I'm grateful that I have family and work and community to be busy over. Can sisters please make dua for me that Allah puts barakah in my time? and barakah in my resources? I see people accomplish alot more on less money and time and i feel they must have more blessing in it which is why it goes further. but i can't ask for that and be on mumsnet regularly though! So il probably be lurking and reading through most of this thread, salam/peace and marhaba/welcome to everyone though

Farhana110786 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:23:37

No I'm new to Mums net smile

Cuddledup Thu 21-Mar-13 19:32:12

Salaam
Pass the cakes please Hardly
Thanks so much for opening up the Tearoom for business.

crescentmoon England Thu 21-Mar-13 21:07:04

(tearoom is funny, it makes me think of cucumber sandwiches, white linen tableclothes, kitschy chintz tea sets and furnishings, scones and fresh cream NOT floor cushions hardly. but again, maybe we need to move away from baklava and gulab jaam to bakewell tarts and shortbread? lol)

HolofernesesHead Thu 21-Mar-13 22:00:13

I might sneak in for the odd baklava if I'm allowed! Greetings to all Muslim MNers! smile

MareeyaDolores Thu 21-Mar-13 22:34:04

Can I pop in and sit in the extra-cosy corner with the floor cushions?

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 22-Mar-13 11:55:30

Welcome to mumsnet and the muslim tearoom farhana. Welcome back cuddledup, crescent and cote, I'm imagining you 3 sitting in a corner, debating over tea and scones!
Welcome Mareeya and Holof.
I reckon we need to make this truly multicultural crescent and offer english tea and scones along with arabic tea and baklava, turkish coffee and....perhaps you could enlighten us cote, and maybe even some samosas in your mums syle of samosa diplomacy crescent.
I'll make dua for you crescent, life has its ups and downs in that sense doesn't it. I remember when DS was small and I wasn't getting much sleep I used to make a little dua when I went to bed that Allah would make my 4 hours of sleep like 10 hours. It worked (well at least I got through the days without falling to sleep at random).
Juma mubarek everyone, one of my favourite moments of the week as watching DS get ready to go to juma with his dad (thobe, perfume, hat, the whole works!) - alhamdulillah he looks so proud of himself!

crescentmoon England Sat 23-Mar-13 08:16:39

Jazakhallah hardly I really need something like that, for my 5hours of sleep today give me the same energy as 10!
I love the habit of people saying jumaa mubarak- it means blessed Friday doesn't it. (In more ways than one-you've survived the working/school week!) I know some people frown on it but I like to read it and say it. I also like this thing some people have of after a prayer in the mosque,after they've given the Salams on either side to say 'taqaballullah' to the person praying on their right and left. It means 'may Allah accept it' and then the person replies 'minna wa minkum' (from us and from you). The sunnah tradition is really to say it after the Eid prayer but in Egypt they say it even after the daily mosque prayers which I think is a nice way to connect with the person on your left and right.

I like using old duas in new situations. When I was at uni I used to dread one lecturers classes as he loved to humiliate people by putting them on the spot with difficult questions that he'd be really sarcastic and horrible when they couldn't answer!. But I just couldn't skip the class as it was mandatory. So what we'd do is me and two other sisters used to stand outside before his lecture and read the dua that Muhammad (pbuh) said when he escaped with Abu bakr to Madinah and the makkans were chasing them through the desert. The dua about 'keep us hidden from their eyes even in plain site!'. I think it involved a sand dune? Anyway. And wallahi oksumbillah this lecturer even if we arrived late and had to sit at the front never picked us even though he used to make the rounds around the whole class. The whole semester. Of course it could have been that we were so assured he wouldn't pick us that he mistook that for confidence and chose the ones who looked nervous! Lol

crescentmoon England Sat 23-Mar-13 08:21:19

Ts lovely your ds goes with his dad to jumaa prayer. Whenever my children spend any time with y dad they always come away smelling strongly of attar perfume because my dad takes it to be Sunnah all the time not just Fridays. I watched a programme once about the perfume industry in the Gulf and thought wryly to myself that must be the most widely practised Sunnah over there!

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 23-Mar-13 14:40:58

I love your lecture dua story Crescent! Because of my poor Arabic I nomally make dua in my own words in English, and I feel that's a really important way to connect, but I must say when I read the sunnah duas it really gives me a sense of peace. I've got a little book called 'Fortress of the Muslim' which has loads in. That book is special as it was given to me when I hadn't been Muslim long, by a chap I was on a course with. He wasn't being at all over friendly (in the wrong way), just came up to me at the end and said someone special had given it to him when he converted and he wanted me to have it. It's been much treasured.

nailak Sat 23-Mar-13 16:39:25

Did anyone keep my tea warm? is it mint tea or chai?

GoshAnneGorilla Algeria Sat 23-Mar-13 19:23:53

Salaam! <Pulls up a cushion>

sashh Sun 24-Mar-13 08:51:05

wonders whether she needs to borrow a headscarf

Hi Crescent, thanks for the invite. As well as cake I've brought vegi samosas from Wolverhampton.

Which if it wasn't snowing I'd be getting in RL

HardlyEverHoovers Sun 24-Mar-13 11:20:21

sashh welcome headscarf or no headscarf! mmm, lovely samosas, someone will have to post a recipe I think!
welcome gosh and Nailakplenty of warm tea, whichever type you like. Can anyone make that lovely milky spicy pakistani tea? I love that.

crescentmoon England Sun 24-Mar-13 20:25:08

Hello sashh glad you came aboard! Don't mind about headscarves- none of us here are wearing them at home when we're posting anyway. Salams gothann and naila. Glad holo is here too, I always find your posts interesting. mareeyadolores Salams sis (?).

I love 'fortress of a Muslim' too - that was my first adhkar book.i try to read the wird al latif regularly (supposed to be morning and evening after fair and asr prayer!) www.ratib.co.uk/wirdenglish.html and alot of the prayers can also be found in fortress. I like the rythym and cadence of this rendition wird al lateef part 1 so I find it 'playing' in my head when I read.

As for the dua we'd read outside the lecture, one of the sisters was Arab so she'd read the prayer as we'd huddle together then me and the other sis would say 'ameen' lol. We'd walk in so relaxed we were probably the only ones who would make eye contact with him!

If any of you have non Muslim relatives who keep dogs or even if your children love dogs, iv found an interesting article about the Maliki legal school majority opinion on the matter- 'imaam Malik here I come!'. hardly your going from hanafi to Maliki aren't you? How easy is it to relearn the rules again? I think if someone goes to the Maliki school for one thing you'd have to be consistent and follow the rest of the rules on najasah/ wudhu/ prayer. Would make life easier living in a nation of dog lovers!

www.seekingilm.com/archives/118

Moominsarehippos Sun 24-Mar-13 20:30:15

Not muslimn but can I pop in too? On a bench though (as my arthritus won't allow floor sitting these days)! Is this 'MuslimNet?'. Its where some of the nice sensible people hang.

Mine's a sweaty mint water in hot water (don't translations sometimes make things sound errrrrghhhh?).

nailak Mon 25-Mar-13 01:34:49

my inlaws have dogs to stop them getting burgaled, they live on corner house with garages behind and have been burgaled many times

WaynettaSlobsLover Mon 25-Mar-13 09:55:41

Asalaamalaikum and good afternoon smile long time no speak smile

Can I have mint chai with two bits of baklawa and a nice portion of konefa min fadlak? Shokran. How is everyone? I'm off to Egypt for two weeks to visit dh's family and have a holiday inshallah. We are all ill with chesty coughs and runny noses unfortunately though. I found out I'm expecting a little girl at my scan, and this is my last baby inshallah so any nice unusual names would be greatly received.

Hope to chat to you all soon smile

LostAndNeverFound Mon 25-Mar-13 09:59:01

Salaam everyone.

Mines a plain old English tea please, also on a bench, don't think my 36 week pregnant rear end would get off the floor!

My DH has a dog which is kept at his mums house. He's never been in the house but has his own cosy shed. Unfortunately all my in laws are scared of him and so haven't stepped foot in their own garden for 3 years! Which is a shame.

Hope you're all well. I haven't been on for ages but lurked a bit, not seen waynetta for a while, is she still around and ok?

LostAndNeverFound Mon 25-Mar-13 09:59:52

Haha, x post waynetta!!

LostAndNeverFound Mon 25-Mar-13 10:03:11

How lovely a little girl alhamdullilah. There are lots of nice girls names I keep coming across, but I'm having a boy so can't use any of them! Have you got any in mind at all?

This thread is not accepting new messages.