Do you have a prayer routine?

(13 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 11-Mar-13 10:49:57

Just that really smile

It's hard to know what to say, when to say it and how long to spend. Getting into a routine amongst all the other things you find you have to do. Finding somewhere quiet is also tricky.

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts on this?

niminypiminy Mon 11-Mar-13 11:07:41

I've recommended this before but pray as you go and sacred space are really good places to start with daily prayer.

hiddenhome Mon 11-Mar-13 13:14:20

thank you for that smile

pisgah Fri 22-Mar-13 10:47:45

I have been reading a book called 'Confessions of a prayer slacker' by Diane Moody. It has really changed the way I think about prayer, I'd recommend it - although it is kind of quirky and american smile

MadHairDay Sat 23-Mar-13 12:11:42

I do find I need some kind of routine, to help focus and take that crucial time in the day. Somehow, when I do, everything seems to fall together and there is more peace about that day. Odd that grin

I've been using the community of St Chad material - it has a daily prayer section, with different prayer focusses for each day. It's ok but I don't use it all the time, as it would become repetitive. I also use a prayer journal, which works well for me as I can often get down in writing much more than I can vocalise, and it's great to look back and see how prayers have been answered along the way.

Annunziata Sat 23-Mar-13 20:59:21

I pray the rosary before bed.

I say a Hail Mary per child, one for DH, and then one for various family members, people I am thinking of, to saints I need help from, for things I need help with.

Cuddledup Sat 23-Mar-13 21:28:53

Hidden I would second niminy's recommendation for pray as you go. She mentioned it a few weeks / months(?) ago on one of these threads and I've started doing the daily morning prayers and it's really helped me. NOw I get up 10 mins early so I can do this before the rest of the household gets up.

hiddenhome Sat 23-Mar-13 22:50:43

Whereabouts do you all say your prayers? I tend to say them whilst I'm in bed, but I often fall asleep half way through blush There's no spare room that I can slope off to. The place is so noisy and busy. Do you all have a special place?

Gingerdodger Sat 23-Mar-13 22:53:39

My prayer time is bed time but I do find myself snatching other times during the day. Having some focus helps and at the moment I have some Lenten materials which help. Other than that I also find that prayers at night help me to reflect on the day and what is to come tomorrow. Sometimes fall asleep doing this though but maybe that's not a bad thing either though as I go to sleep at peace.

hiddenhome Sat 23-Mar-13 22:57:37

smile

I downloaded the Three Minute Retreat app which I've been using. It's very good and really easy and simple.

I have had a quick look at those links ninimy smile

pisgah Sun 24-Mar-13 00:09:07

I get up early as its the only peaceful time in the day! I sneak out of bed, shutting the door oh-so-quietly behind me. I am reading through the bible in a year, and I guess my prayers have gradually extended from "help me understand what I'm reading" to cover my life, my day, all the things I'm thankful for. 6am is a beautiful time of day to pray. Sometimes the sun is even out smile I am beginning to understand that its a conversation with Jesus, not a shopping list of requests.

pisgah Sun 24-Mar-13 00:10:58

I love the idea of going to sleep at peace, Gingerdodger - I've never thought of it like that smile

Gingerdodger Sun 24-Mar-13 08:08:39

pisgah I only really thought that as I was writing that and yes it actually is a really lovely thing, albeit more by accident than design!

I'm not sure 6am would work for me. Not sure even God could make sense of anything I say at 6am!

I think the important the thing is to find a routine that fits your day.

The conversation thing is really important and I would like to know how others ensure they are listening too as sometimes I really struggle with this bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now