Medium, how did she do this?

(98 Posts)
greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 10:29:17

Hi,
I am fascinated and have been to see a few people who i concluded were trying to cold read me and so terminated and did not pay,
However i did see someone the other day and am struggling to see whether she is real or not. She did numerology and a reading.
The first thing she said to me was the midlands, who is in the midlands? I said i am from there (but we had spoken on the phone and maybe she just picked up my accent) she kept asking who is there now and i said family and friends, she said birmingham who is there, my husband works there and she immediately said he is stressed. He is.
During the reading she gave me several names of which they didnt mean anything to me.
But she knew things like that i had moved in feb 2012, asked what the number 14 was (it was the number of my old house i moved from), said i had a son and daughter and was worried about one of them in the education sector (i am worried she is autistic) and that i didnt know whether to stay where i was or move back to the midlands again true.

Did she cold read me or is this gift possible?

Want to believe but find it hard as a lot was in the future, i.e my husband is going to get a job opportunity which will make mour decision for us and we will move aug/sept.

Obviously this hasnt happened yet!

Thanks

IndigoBarbie Sun 10-Mar-13 21:02:25

headinhands All I mean that if you go and see someone and it feels right for you, then good. If it doesn't then don't do it/believe it/go back - whatever.
We are not taught to look for answers inside ourselves, and many of us spend our lives searching for 'something', or answers.

I am not sure many things that occur in our lives can be tested or are measurable. That's the thing with modern day society - we seem to be overly obsessed about the end result data rather than the experience that occurs with it. For example last year I decided to fully test my own abilities and assisted in investigations to find missing persons. I believe I was helping. On one of the cases I was explicitly and accurately correct. This cannot be measured, and I don't believe is testable either.

There are many many genuine people out there, lots of them hide themselves away for fear of ridicule, some of them are out helping as much as they can.

There are different styles for receiving mediumship messages or whatever and I don't believe that any of them can be measured.

If what you are told holds value to you, then it holds value to you. If not, then it doesn't. How can thoughts provide testable data?

headinhands Sun 10-Mar-13 21:11:28

It can easily be tested. The same way other stuff can be. If you are psychic then get down that Randi institute asap to collect the $1,000,000 with ease and give it to Macmillan or Save The Children or any number of charities.

Here's the address:

James Randi Educational Foundation
Million Dollar Challenge
7095 Hollywood Boulevard, #1170
Los Angeles, CA 90028-6035
U.S.A.

headinhands Sun 10-Mar-13 21:13:27

How/why can it not be measured? How do you know it can't?

IndigoBarbie Sun 10-Mar-13 21:18:51

headinhands, why do you presume that people want money, or to be 'tested' or proven to be right or wrong? It's not the most important thing in life.

orangeandlemons Sun 10-Mar-13 21:24:19

I,m not a big believer, but I saw a medium about a year after my mum died. She blew my socks off, I was absolutely go smacked by her. I told her nothing at all, in fact she told me to tell her nothing.

She identified where I lived
She told me my mum knew dd had her name as her middle name
She told me the name of my father
She told me my mum was still concerned about her daughter who was disabled
She said my mum loved my ds still whom she identified as 14 ( no other numbers suggested)
She knew the number of my house
She identified that my mum died when I was pregnant with dd

I was blown away. I went in believing nothing at all. She mainly spoke about dead relatives, all correctly identified, but said loads of other stuff that she just couldn't have known. All she knew was my first name and phone number. She also lived miles away from me

headinhands Sun 10-Mar-13 21:39:46

Put it like this. Imagine the real world worked like that. I'm guessing I wouldn't be going back to the same company if they couldn't guarantee they'd ever deliver anything I wanted. Why is the psychic ability beyond testing? If your Internet provider suddenly announced you wouldn't be able to test your broadband connection anymore and when you protested they said 'why is testing so important, not everything can be tested' etc you'd be happy with that?

IndigoBarbie Sun 10-Mar-13 22:15:59

I'm sure there are factors that occur or happen in the quality of receiving any psychic information. Probably the same way electrical circuits have fluctuations, so do we. I know for myself that sometimes I am only shown what I should share, and sometimes the harder I try, I just can't do it. It's when I try least of all that it seems to flow. In fact, in recent weeks I just can't be bothered at all, I've let a lot of people down who have been and still are waiting for information from me. Other factors have taken over.

Psychic energy isn't a product though - it's something all of us have, or at least have the ability to attempt to tap into. The best intuition or psychic information you could rely upon is your own. Once you learn to tap into that, off you go, and your life takes on new meanings and shifts you never thought possible. Immeasurable. Unprovable. But, most definitely experience-able smile

headinhands Mon 11-Mar-13 03:34:35

You have to wonder why it appears that none of the countless scientists that have 'crossed over' have got in touch with their living counterparts at Oxbridge via any psychic of their choosing, to explain how they are able to think/feel without a functioning body as we know it. Wouldn't that be infinitely more interesting/helpful than 'remember the time you burnt something in the oven' or 'Jean says you need to stop worrying so much'.

bluebeardsbabe Mon 11-Mar-13 14:40:20

Indigo grin

My bil is a non believer and we frequently have healthy debates but I always end up saying that we'll never persuade each other otherwise as he thinks with his science brain and I feel with my woo heart and that is just fine and we respect each others beliefs.

incidently a few months ago there was an article in several newspapers about aa scientist who had a NDE and was now a believer. I forget the details but it was very interesting.

myroomisatip Mon 11-Mar-13 16:50:59

I visited one last year and she came out with a lot of stuff without me prompting, also a lot of stuff that, so far, was way off mark.

She gave me the name of my mothers very close friend, didn't ask me anything, just told me that the lady was there, also the names of uncles that had passed. Lots of things she said were very comforting to me and she also recorded the sitting so I can listen to it again and see if anything she has said has since happened.

I did not ring to make an appointment so she had no way of checking me out. She did tell me I would be living in a cottage in west sussex! Cant ever see that happening! But if it does I will let you know smile

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 11-Mar-13 18:58:32

"She gave me the name of my mothers very close friend, didn't ask me anything, just told me that the lady was there, also the names of uncles that had passed."

Are the names of these people common names? Were any other names offered which didn't mean anything to you? Did the psychic tell you who the names related to or just throw them out there for you to fill in the blanks?

greener2 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:24:12

Good question, i had a few names and none of them meant anything to me an guess what they were meant for someone else?!!!

The worse ones are the i have someone who was in the war or an old lady wearing an apron etc!

nightlurker Mon 11-Mar-13 20:24:27

How did she do this? Here's one possibility:

She may have a reverse phone lookup directory, from which she got your full name and address using your phone number. By browsing old directories, she could have found a past address. If she had a lot of time and a more sophisticated business, she would find a family member of yours on facebook that accepts friends without knowing who they are (under a false name, of course). All of this information would be gathered before you came in, and all she would need is a phone number.

greener2 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:01:59

From a mobile phone? I dont have facebook account...

nightlurker Mon 11-Mar-13 21:44:26

If I look up my cell number on a reverse look-up it says it contains an address, name, household members, people search results, and a little other information. I would have to pay to see it (which I'm not willing to do), but you can pay a fairly small fee for it.

Granted, I am in the US and the laws and availability of reverse look-ups may be different here.

IndigoBarbie Mon 11-Mar-13 22:09:48

bluebeards wink
Och, I know, I always say it's hard to believe unless stuff happens to you. Or sometimes you still can't believe it. Nonetheless, our lives are made somewhat more interesting by that which we have still to question, experience or share.

myroomisatip Tue 12-Mar-13 10:05:27

PedroPonyLikesCrisps

She simply stated, 'Your mums friend, Lily, is here too'. She did not ask if I knew anyone whose name started with a 'L' or anything like that at all.

I have two uncles with the same name, (William) who have passed over and she got that right, also got it that one was known as Bill whereas the other is known as William.

Again, she did not question me about them, neither did she offer up any other names.

I think I am going to have to listen to the tape today smile

greener2 Tue 12-Mar-13 13:16:40

Yes listen to the tape and report back please smile

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 12-Mar-13 13:25:09

I have had readings from many different people. I am a total believer, but I also think, as I stated upthread, there are a lot of people who buy a how-to-read-palms book, or a set of Tarot cards, and launch themselves as psychics.

I have had 3 stand out readings in the last 20 years.

A woman called Margaret (who I discovered recently is still working in the same pub in Liverpool where I saw her) was incredible, and the 6 or so work colleagues I went with were of the same opinion.

Another reader I had a reading from (about my ex) told me something extremely specific about him that I have recently (after the reading) established to be true (and I gave her only his first name, which is the second most common first name in the world after Mohammed ;-))

A third again gave me v specific information which was true.

I didn't give any of these people any information about myself. Margaret in particular, as I said, operates out of a pub, and people don't book in advance, they just turn up so there was no way she researched any of us beforehand. The other 2 were over the web and whilst I appreciate that yes, they might have googled me, there is no way they found my ex, because I've been looking for the bugger online for years. ;-)

I have had others where you just can see immediately they have opened the "meanings of tarot cards" book they bought with their deck.

headinhands Tue 12-Mar-13 17:16:36

Actually if 'it' does happen to me I will put it down to the other many likely explanations before instantly jumping to the least likely one, namely that we exist after death and communicate largely pointless and unhelpful information to the living. After all, that's what we usually do isn't it? If you walk into your living room to find a guilty looking toddler and a sudocreme covered sofa (voice of experience) whereabouts on the list would a paranormal explanation come? The top? No. So it should be elsewhere. The most likely explanation, based on what we know and observe about the world, is almost always the answer.

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 12-Mar-13 17:27:14

Haven't read any replies yet so apols if I repeat things but as a sceptic and a techy person this would be my interpretation:

*she did her google research on you. Presumably you booked using your name?
*if so, there are free online directories which quite openly give the full address and names of all people living in a house - hence she'd know number 14 & about your son and daughter
*she'd also know from that your husband's name and could check directories of workers / company director records / LinkedIn etc to see where he works and deduce whether a stressful job
* from the address details etc she may possibly be able to look up further records of where your children attend school, check out social networking sites, newspaper archives online etc
*its amazing how much info you can get online - particularly if it's your livelihood & you have a few directory subscriptions etc. I have a friend in Due Dilligence and the amount he can tell you about someone based on info they never knew was out there is terrifying.

I could be totally wrong of course. But I doubt it.

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 12-Mar-13 17:32:28

Just seen you said she didn't have your name. Are you 100% sure there's no way she could have. For example...what phone did you ring her from to book - googling phone numbers with a registered directory often reveals the owner. Try searching your number. Try looking up your address in a reg directory - have a look whether any of the 'other names' she mentioned appear in the same directory or in any news archives

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 12-Mar-13 17:40:41

I do agree that many of them look you up- that's why the ones which have amazed me have amazed me, because there was no way they looked me up.

One told me that someone I was interested in "had been physically very close to me in Manchester last Christmas". Her psychic skills overlooking the fact I have been in Italy for the last 20 yrs and he has been in Spain. grin

bluebeardsbabe Tue 12-Mar-13 18:57:06

Nottreadinggrapes...good one.

I just wonder why you would bother spending all that time researching for what.. 30 quid!!

And how does that apply to theae phone readings. They surely don't have the time to look you up?

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 12-Mar-13 19:35:33

Again - second phone dials in, they search the number. Can be chatting about location as they're looking up household members info etc. plus a good deal of vague guess work and cleverly worded lead-in q's. It is a skill, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now