Medium, how did she do this?

(98 Posts)
greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 10:29:17

Hi,
I am fascinated and have been to see a few people who i concluded were trying to cold read me and so terminated and did not pay,
However i did see someone the other day and am struggling to see whether she is real or not. She did numerology and a reading.
The first thing she said to me was the midlands, who is in the midlands? I said i am from there (but we had spoken on the phone and maybe she just picked up my accent) she kept asking who is there now and i said family and friends, she said birmingham who is there, my husband works there and she immediately said he is stressed. He is.
During the reading she gave me several names of which they didnt mean anything to me.
But she knew things like that i had moved in feb 2012, asked what the number 14 was (it was the number of my old house i moved from), said i had a son and daughter and was worried about one of them in the education sector (i am worried she is autistic) and that i didnt know whether to stay where i was or move back to the midlands again true.

Did she cold read me or is this gift possible?

Want to believe but find it hard as a lot was in the future, i.e my husband is going to get a job opportunity which will make mour decision for us and we will move aug/sept.

Obviously this hasnt happened yet!

Thanks

It doesn't sound like she gave you enough evidence of who was telling her the info. A medium should establish contact, give you details, then give you info on your life. sad

greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 19:18:04

Again, no details were given so couldnt do zoopla etc and the info like the number were said confidently. The number 14 doesnt mean anything else to me except my old house and the read was mainly about my move so it does tie in. When she said concerns it was about health and i said yes and then she said it was health within the education.. She told me i had a son and a daughter and that i had moved in feb 2012 she didnt ask that but told me.

However i agree its too wishy washy and i rang her today to speak with her and to my surprise she just said whats your address to send a refund. That makes me even more suspect as i said wouldnt you rather i came in again and she said no that a refund would give me the decision to find someone else ?!

I havent spent a penny on a reading so far as everyone i have done i challenge. I am fascinated by it now lol and have the balls to say to people no that isnt right etc etc but this one I felt at the time was good whereas others have been awful (telling me how i love my work - i went along with it and the one spoke about my work and then i said i dont work by the way at the end hee hee)

greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 19:18:53

p.s rapidly thinking there is no such thing to be honest by the way!

have to disagree, but that's my opinion, each to their own. (my mum is one!)

noblegiraffe Fri 08-Mar-13 20:07:39

I thought a medium was someone who (supposedly) contacts the dead, but the OP doesn't mention any dead people. What's the difference between a medium, a psychic and a fortune teller?

greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 20:19:55

Goodjambadjar, i would to love believe yet no one has made me as yet sad
I am very upfront with people, i truely would love to and do try but nothing has convinced me as yet and as your mum will know there are so many people in this area who are just after peoples money, you have to be so careful with your money and yourself as it could be very dangerous ground.
So whats your mums opinion on people like me? I asked one woman more about what she did etc as it was a lot of money and she put me off seeing her as i felt she was aggressive towards me and turned it on me saying that i need to work on trusting people etc etc, i was like, no i just dont want to waste my money and give it to a fake?!

Medium yeah contact the dead and nope, i didnt have any confirmation of anyone i knew, psychics i think may do this too?

Mediums contact someone you know who has passed. They don't tell you the future. Some mediums use their psychic abilities to create more of a link to the client, but if they are taking your money for a reading by a medium, they should tell you if they haven't got anyone.
psychics can be seen as cold readers. They will tune into your aura to pick up your vibes. this could be closer to what you experienced, greener.
fortune tellers might use props, such as cards, coins, etc.
All should make you aware if their methods, especially as I think there is now a fraudulent medium act in place to protect clients. Also, some such 'activities' are now supposed to come under 'entertainment' to help prevent damage to either side.
it would be good to remember that no ones future is set in stone, your decisions are your own. someone might use the phrase 'if you continue on this path' to cover a fortune telling.

hth!

greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:15:34

Thanks, yes i understand, but are you saying that the future type reading is fake then and really it is contacted those who have passed that is the real gift?
Just curious as i am still so interested in finding someone who could do this for me, think i was cold read by what you are saying and glad am getting my money back!

IndigoBarbie Sat 09-Mar-13 00:14:31

Greener2, why did you go, what were you looking for?
If there was anything that gave you a vibe, then go with that and leave the rest out. The 'future' stuff hasn't come to pass yet. I know when I see information it can take up to a year to happen.

I'm not dismissing anything, I believe there are genuinely gifted people.
As far as mediums go, I think they should blow your socks off with what they have to say!
Its not something you can have set rules for, which means some people exploit it.
on the other hand, there are people who will see a medium, psychic, etc wanting a specific message and will be disappointed if they don't get it. (not saying this is you)
There are also people who will go to rostrum mediums and are do desperate for a message they'll try and make anything fit, even if the actual message is spot on for the person behind them! shock
Have you been seeing people out of curiosity?
Maybe you should find your local spiritual church to see rostrum/platform mediums, or go to a spiritual night/coffee morning and book a tabletop reading?

I visit a psychic about once a year. She never ever asks any questions and generally sits with her head down and eyes closed so doesn't 'read' my reactions.

She is scarily accurate too!

Bt I don't live my life by everything she says. The medium/ psychic you describe doesn't sound that great!

Trills Sat 09-Mar-13 10:20:45

What is it that you actually want?

If someone was really able to "contact someone you know who has passed", they wouldn't be able to tell your future either. If they claim they can, they are scamming you. Auntie Jean couldn't tell the future when she was alive and she can't tell the future now she is dead either.

I dont know why you are just going around from person to person and "testing" them.

My GM told me the story of a man who was gifted. He would charm people with health problems and they would recover. But he never once asked for money and wouldnt accept any, saying that the charm wouldnt work if he took payment. He lived in poverty all his life.

I do believe some people are gifted. But they are so few in the masses of people trying to make a quick buck.

Let it go. It sounds like you are obsessed/addicted.

headinhands Sat 09-Mar-13 10:50:51

I don't think that not taking money is in any way proof of a supernatural gift. I knew a similar guy who also lived in poverty who would give readings. He was well known in that part of town and had lots of people, mainly females, in and out seeking his guidance. He clearly enjoyed the status. I think there are many reasons why people would like people to think they were mediums and not always financial.

Perhaps. But I am more suspect of people who make their charges very clear from the outset.

My belief in that man is not from his lack of charging, more from the fact that I knew several people who had been helped by him. Sensible people who werent in the slightest bit woo.

bluebeardsbabe Sat 09-Mar-13 11:43:21

Why shouldn't a medium be able to chargw for the work they do? Seems like people are obsessed by the fact that mediums shouldn't charge and if they do they are fake. wether you believe in them or not (i personally do) if they are working surely they can charge for it. it is up to the customer to decide wether they want to spend their money.

i just don't understand why people expect to get free readings all the time.

specialsubject Sat 09-Mar-13 13:12:09

no such thing as psychic powers or clairvoyance. Some mediums are deluded enough to believe it, some are just plain fraudsters. Either way it is all nonsense.

if you want to throw money away, there are plenty of better ways.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 09-Mar-13 15:00:23

How genuine a medium is has nothing to do with how much they charge. They are all fake regardless of how good their intentions are. No psychic, medium or fortune teller has EVER been validated as genuine.

James Randi still offers a million dollars to anyone who can prove paranormal powers. Over a thousand people have taken the challenge and not one has passed.

Fortune telling is purely an entertainment pursuit, but sadly some people are duped into thinking that they might be able to actually communicate with a loved one who has passed away, etc. and this is incredibly sad. These are very vulnerable people who get taken advantage of and ripped off. Even if you are sane and just going for the entertainment value, you are essentially giving credibility to the practice which helps the real crooks to continue what is essentially very serious fraud.

Bottom line, don't indulge them.

greener2 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:42:12

I havent gotton addicted or anything, it started off with curiousity and then i have since had a chat to a few and 4 readings which have all lead me to believe that it is not true and does not exist as no one has done anything that has wowed me. I guess I am still finding the whole subject quite interesting though as there are people who say "she couldnt have known that about me" but i know think they are just super skilled in extracting information and readin people.
I have heard about the million dollars thing.

greener2 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:43:47

sorry comp playing up and now son crying.
I just dont understand the people who say that they dont say anything i.e fairydogmother, its that that makes me then think mmm maybe it exists lol!

But yes am glad am getting my money back smile

Casserole Sat 09-Mar-13 22:12:16

Sorry, but unless you are SURE she was a fake, I don't think you should be getting your money back. You asked for an appointment, she gave it to you. She played her part.

This just all sounds so weird. Why are you doing this??? Just let it go. Like someone else said, life is good as it is.

headinhands Sun 10-Mar-13 08:54:51

Green, you say that when you read posters who say they've had good readings it makes you think it might be real.

The problem with that method of discerning fact from fiction is that you will have to believe anything anyone says wether it be alien abduction, fairies at the bottom of the garden and so on. The only reliable way of deciding what's real is the same method you already use for everything else. Evidence.

As of yet there is not one piece of evidence for any of the psychics/mediums claims regardless of all the anecdotes you'll hear.

IndigoBarbie Sun 10-Mar-13 19:59:56

A really interesting thread. I was at a public display of mediumship and the medium kept on staring over at me. Fine. After he gave messages to a few people he gave messages to me. The information was particularly specific, and from a passed loved one whom I'd recently been talking to in my mind.
I agreed with everything that he said right down to some personal items which had been placed in with passed loved one in their coffin. Thing is, at the time passed loved one died, I didn't know that these things existed - but I'd since found out.

Anyhows, after the medium was finished delivering my accurate messages it was time for a coffee. People in the place were approaching me to ask if what I'd been told was any 'good,' or 'right?' of course I said, didn't you see my saying thank you and saying 'yes?'. Anyway when I got back to my seat the lady next to me was waiting to question me. She asked me who it was that had come through. I explained this to her, and she then continued to question me. Along the lines of 'So, you believe in this stuff then?, and yes, but how do you know that this was the passed love one' So I looked her in the eye and said, the information that I was given was a specific answer to what I had been asking in my mind of this person. There is no doubt in my body.
The lady seemed slightly upset by my reaction, but then - there's no proving stuff to anyone. I was happy to receive information and answers from the medium. Some of which I will wait to see what passes.

The person who upthread said about mediums contacting the dead and not being able to see the future hasn't had their own experiences of this work. It is not so cut and dried as that.

Just like what you would do in any other given situation: if you feel it's right for you, or you believe it - go with it. If not, don't. Easy.

headinhands Sun 10-Mar-13 20:24:40

"there's no proving stuff to anyone". Show me testable data and I'll believe. It's that simple, honest. Anecdote is not evidence. Otherwise everything that people claim is true would be true. And as for saying if it 'feels right', people often make money out of this from very vulnerable people and that bothers me.

greener2 Sun 10-Mar-13 20:57:22

Oo, i have started a good debate, good thoughts on both sides!
I didnt ring her to get my money back, i rang her to speak to her about my thoughts and she just offered it me straight away, i said i would be happy to just go back.
She did speak about the things that i had been asking about in my mind but the skeptic side says of course she did as i led her down that path (howwver she asked questions)
Liked your experiene in the church though!
And i dont need to let anything go, am enjoying the debate as im interested, not obssessed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now