Medium, how did she do this?

(98 Posts)
greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 10:29:17

Hi,
I am fascinated and have been to see a few people who i concluded were trying to cold read me and so terminated and did not pay,
However i did see someone the other day and am struggling to see whether she is real or not. She did numerology and a reading.
The first thing she said to me was the midlands, who is in the midlands? I said i am from there (but we had spoken on the phone and maybe she just picked up my accent) she kept asking who is there now and i said family and friends, she said birmingham who is there, my husband works there and she immediately said he is stressed. He is.
During the reading she gave me several names of which they didnt mean anything to me.
But she knew things like that i had moved in feb 2012, asked what the number 14 was (it was the number of my old house i moved from), said i had a son and daughter and was worried about one of them in the education sector (i am worried she is autistic) and that i didnt know whether to stay where i was or move back to the midlands again true.

Did she cold read me or is this gift possible?

Want to believe but find it hard as a lot was in the future, i.e my husband is going to get a job opportunity which will make mour decision for us and we will move aug/sept.

Obviously this hasnt happened yet!

Thanks

HeathRobinson Fri 08-Mar-13 10:32:44

Fairly easy to think that your dh might be stressed, these days and that a child might be having a few problems at school. A lot of people in Birmingham too.

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 08-Mar-13 10:35:13

I am a believer smile but in all honesty that reading sounds vague.

I think she cold read you and got lucky.

From the Midlands ..... you're from Leices....no....Wolve...no Birmingham is as good a guess as any, especially if someone is skilled at picking up the slightly different accent between the parts of the Midlands. The Birmingham accent is a little "posher" than the Wolverhampton accent, North East Birmingham has a slight nasal tone.

As for the number 14 could have been anything, and it sounds like you've made it fit. It could have been a birthday (1 in 30 chance), a house number, an age, etc.

Stressed at work - isn't everybody? And if he is stressed and working hard he is likely to get job opportunities. Or he could be stressed and looking elsewhere in which case he is likely to get a job opportunity .....

Did she say "You have a son and daughter" or say it in questioning tone "You have a son?.... and a daughter?", or did you at any time use the word "my family" which generally indicates more than one child.

It doesn't sound like she's said anything particularly amazing.

Sounds very much like a cold reading to me.

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 08-Mar-13 10:50:04

Just cold reading. Not even that accurate either.

Don't waste your money on these people. They can't tell you anything. It's guess work/picking up on cues (we all give so much away without realising it).

Life is inspiring and extraordinary without 'magic' like this. It's just a con.

MTSgroupie Fri 08-Mar-13 10:50:27

'14' was my age when we moved to my parents current house. It is also the age of my nephew. Pick any number below 50 and chances are it is of some relevance to all of use.

As for Birmingham, my nephew works there and DP went to Birmingham Uni. It's a big place so great chance of it being relevant.

As for DH being stressed, aren't we all? Credit crunch and redundancy is at the back of most people's minds.

If I was a medium I would put my life savings on the 3 o'clock at Newmarket. I would then help the police find Maddie. I certainly wouldn't be doing readings for £x a pop.

You should watch the US drama series The Mentalist.

DoIgetastickerforthat Fri 08-Mar-13 10:58:07

She may well have googled you beforehand, you can find out all sorts if you know where and how to look. Also, did she actually provide any insight into your life or was it a 'Proving the Powers' type reading where they throw a load of stuff at you that you already know ie husband stressed, worried about daughter etc so that you come away thinking "wow, how could she know that", but doesn't actually give you anything concrete to help you with your decision making?

Because if it was, even if she possesses second sight, what's the point?

greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 12:15:19

She didnt have my name to google me and i dont really have a birmingham accent.
But yes vague isnt it.
I have phoned her to discuss about going in again as i dont feel happy, will let you know

MTSgroupie Fri 08-Mar-13 12:20:53

I'm from just outside Birmingham. I didn't think I had an accent either. Then after a few years down sarf I watched myself in a home movie ..... smile

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 08-Mar-13 12:23:03

Why go in again?

Honestly it's just a waste of time OP.

KatoPotato Fri 08-Mar-13 12:33:08

I was in Birmingham last week on a training course... my husband is stressed, my DS was born on the 14th...

Trills Fri 08-Mar-13 12:37:25

How did she do what?
She didn't do anything.

She tried a bunch of things and used your reaction (conscious and unconscious) to see which were going in the right direction.

If you said you were from the midlands, you'll almost certainly have a link to B'ham. Could have been your aunty or your dentist.

The fact your husband works there, but you don't live there means he commutes, so is probably stressed. As is almost everyone.

I was 14 when my Grandad died, and could probably think of anyother couple of links to any number under 100 if put on the spot.

Everyone woprries about their children's education.

Please don't give these people your money. Give it to cancer research or something that might actually influence your life in years to come. Make your own future, and don't be impressed if people are able to guess your past.

MTSgroupie Fri 08-Mar-13 13:06:54

I once amazed my friend with my 'medium' skills. Her BF was a business contact of mine. We had only spoken on the phone a few times. I proceeded to give the following 'reading'.

She was blonde, mid 30s, 5 year old daughter, strained marriage/relationship.

Apparently I was spot on.

Blonde. Isn't everybody smile
Mid 30s. My friend isn't likely to be BFs with much younger/older woman.
5 year old DD. Most professional women seem to start a family at about 30.
Daughter. Most of the people I know seem to be having daughters. In any case I had a 50/50 chance of being right.
Strained relationship. She was a very aggressive person bordering on angry sometimes. She was either unhappy at home or else her personality created friction at home.

And I'm not even a professional <takes a bow>

It's your money OP so spend it as you see fit but, pardon the bluntness, you are a sucker.

headinhands Fri 08-Mar-13 13:08:11

As someone else said upthread how does her telling you about the stuff you're worried about help you? It's like going to the dr for them to just list a load of symptoms they think you have and then you saying thanks and your appointment being over. Surely you'd be better off tackling your life worries head on by seeking out the advice of people who have faced similar issues and finding ways to work round/through problems?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 08-Mar-13 13:33:39

You say you've had several cold readers who failed. So one hitting on a couple of relevant details is just the law of averages.

The most successful cold readers are just very very good at reading people and combine this with a bit of luck and statistical probabilities. Everything about you can give stuff away. A wedding ring, the type of bag you carry, the fact you are the kind of person wiling to pay for a reading, the way you walk, your voice, your reactions to questions.

If they were for real, they wouldn't have to ask any questions at all. Rather than "what's the number 14" it would be "you lived at number 14"

MTSgroupie Fri 08-Mar-13 15:12:26

It just occurred to me OP, perhaps your DH is stressed because his wife is spending money on a succession of mediums

noblegiraffe Fri 08-Mar-13 15:21:47

Did she say confidently 'you moved in Feb 2012'? Or what is 'you've had an upheaval recently....a house move.....last year...' etc in a fishing way, like she did with midlands, birmingham, family and friends.

I bet she still had plenty of misses too.

Why are you soon keen for a medium to not be cold reading you? (Not criticising you here, btw. Just asking).

INeverSaidThat Fri 08-Mar-13 16:22:50

It's a load of old bollocks.

Don't waste your money.

CheeseStrawWars Fri 08-Mar-13 16:25:56

The first thing she said to me was the midlands, who is in the midlands? - accent

she kept asking who is there now - it would be unusual to live in an area long enough to pick up an accent and not be friendly with some people who live there

she said birmingham who is there - it is the biggest city outside of London? Big, anyway. I don't live anywhere near and know people there. If you have lived in the Midlands, chances are high that you have come across people who do...

my husband works there and she immediately said he is stressed - work is generally stressful for everyone? And you probably didn't say "he works there" with a big beam on your face, giving the impression he was loving it.

During the reading she gave me several names of which they didnt mean anything to me. - throwing stuff out there...

But she knew things like that i had moved in feb 2012 - that info is available on Zoopla if she had your address

asked what the number 14 was - as others have said, any number under around 30, then stats are in her favour it means something. It was the bus I used to get to work.

Said i had a son and daughter and was worried about one of them in the education sector - Easy to guess, and "education sector" is very vague, could cover job, school, college. And who isn't worried about their kids? Again, you probably didn't say the answer with a big beam of happiness implying all was fine. Who goes to a medium when they're completely happy anyway? All customers are looking for reassurance about something. If I start thinking about what I could worry about for my kids, there's loads!

that i didnt know whether to stay where i was or move back to the midlands again true. - even if you weren't thinking that already, by putting the suggestion there, knowing you like the midlands long enough to pick up the accent, she's going to sow the seed of doubt and make her words self-fulfilling.

Nothing you have said above convinces me... She may not be aware she's consciously reading you, giving her the benefit of the doubt, but I don't see any "messages from beyond" in what you've said.

I'm absolutely with the people who believe that anyone with real psychic powers would make (accurate) statements not ask vague questions fishing for clues.

If you'd spoken to me on the phone, you'd know you were safe starting with 'Glasgow. Who/what is in Glasgow?'. (In these situations it's best not to give any information away; if you must answer, the best way to go is 'Glaswegians').

hiddenhome Fri 08-Mar-13 16:39:26

A medium once told me that I had a boyfriend and a little girl and a bad leg. I had, in fact, just been widowed and was childless. She noticed my bad leg because I have a slight limp hmm

noblegiraffe Fri 08-Mar-13 16:48:07

I'd have thought an actual psychic would have been able to tell you who was in the Midlands!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now