The Pope

(94 Posts)
PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 28-Feb-13 08:09:21

The Pope is supposed to be a 'chosen' conduit to God..... So why is he elected by humans?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 16-Mar-13 19:26:19

If you're talking about the British royals, they are just for show, they don't actually run anything, so that's irrelevant.

Diane, yours is a meaningless question to me as I don't believe in a god.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 17-Mar-13 15:44:33

Does that make your OP meaningless too Pedro?confused

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sun 17-Mar-13 17:04:29

Not at all. I was asking for an answer to why the Pope is chosen by humans.

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Sun 17-Mar-13 17:14:18

The British Royals don't run anything ......apart from the fact that the queen is the head of the CofE. Whose Bishops sit in the Lords and have a say in the law of the land.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 17-Mar-13 17:57:04

If not humans, who would you expect to chose the pope Pedro?confused

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Sun 17-Mar-13 18:57:17

Daddy Pig possibly grin

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 18-Mar-13 07:21:38

"If not humans, who would you expect to chose the pope Pedro?"

Well obviously the only point in having a Pope is if there is actually a god hanging around. Either there is and he can elect a Pope himself or there isn't and we have to resort to a convoluted human-based election system.

This highlights my lack of belief quite nicely.

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Mon 18-Mar-13 07:57:18

Jesus chose the first Pope didn't he? Who then handed it down to Linus (brain struggling to remember GCSE catholic teaching!) so it has been human choice for 2000 plus years.

sieglinde Mon 18-Mar-13 08:40:19

KenDoddsDad, I'm afraid the monarch has immense reserve powers in the event of a deadlocked parliament. It's silly to imagine these will never be used.

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Mon 18-Mar-13 09:00:51

I know ! Definitely not just a figurehead that means nothing. The "don't run anything "quote was from up the thread, forgot my quotation marks!

WhatKindofFool Tue 19-Mar-13 15:34:42

Pedro You seem to have a lot of theological questions for an atheist.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 20-Mar-13 07:09:48

"Pedro You seem to have a lot of theological questions for an atheist."

That's a strange statement. Weekday do you mean by it?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 20-Mar-13 07:10:15

That should be what, not weekday!

WhatKindofFool Wed 20-Mar-13 07:39:57

I wonder why you ask. As an atheist you must think that it is all fiction so I am interested in why you need answers about something that you have no belief in if you have already discounted it all.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 20-Mar-13 19:18:33

Which questions were you referring to?

WhatKindofFool Wed 20-Mar-13 22:10:07

Why is the pope chosen by humans?
Why don't all Catholics vote on it?

MaryBS Brazil Wed 20-Mar-13 22:24:29

Because last I knew, the RC church wasn't a democracy grin

Pan Wed 20-Mar-13 22:41:42

I suspect Pedro is just bored.grin
Pop along to an Evensong near you? You might actually like it!

sieglinde Thu 21-Mar-13 10:21:06

Just FYI. 'Francisco Jalics, jailed for five months in 1970s in Argentina, says he and new pope reconciled in 2000.'

Rather embarrassing for the secularists. Jumping to conclusions much? Well, that's what bigotry means.

WhatKindofFool Thu 21-Mar-13 14:15:21

Exactly, Sieglinde. There was a lot of adverse internet twitterings about Mugabe being a the inaugural mass. Mugabe wasn't even invited and besides which, Jesus said that sinners need him, like the sick need a doctor, so the Pope would hardly turn him away.

Makes me so cross!

sieglinde Thu 21-Mar-13 16:48:12

Well put, WhatKindOf. Agree entirely.

I'm reading Anne Applebaum's book on the way communism took over in Eastern Europe and its war against the churches, especially the RC church.

It began with constant detraction and ridicule, including false claims of spying and involvement with 'enemies'. Then the state took over Catholic charities, and also took over RC and Lutheran schools. Then people had to express their dislike of the RC church and were punished if they refused. Then they began rounding up and imprisoning Catholics and others, devout laity or in holy orders....

It sounded much too familiar.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 21-Mar-13 19:34:48

"Pop along to an Evensong near you? You might actually like it!"

Lol, I doubt it somehow!

Pan Thu 21-Mar-13 19:48:20

Well, that's a shame.
Atheists are soooo narrow-minded and scared, ime.grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Thu 21-Mar-13 20:54:14

A whiff of incense and you will be confessing sins you don't even know yo have committed. Happens to me every Sunday. grin

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 21-Mar-13 21:00:59

Are you sure it's mass you're going to Ken? Sounds to me like it might be the local nick. Tell me does the "priest" wear black or really, really, really dark blue.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now