hideous hymns, vocal vicars and theatrical thuribles. Religious Chat Thread Number 6!

(1000 Posts)
nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:28

Welcome to the Religion Chat thread.
We're mostly Christians, but all are welcome.
a lovely soace to talk about church life, spiritual journeys and stuff in general.
It's not about debate, it's about chat.
Come oldies and newbies!

this is the previous thread

niminypiminy Fri 20-Sep-13 12:44:08

Perhaps it's something you could actually talk about as a church in a 'how should we live out our values' kind of way? Perhaps as part of a sermon?

nickelbabe Fri 20-Sep-13 12:46:01

and we''ve got 2 coffee mornings coming up at the end of the month which are raising money for different charities.

nickelbabe Fri 20-Sep-13 12:55:42

maybe not as part of a sermon - that's tricky, because it's one person's opinion.

I've asked NV to discuss it properly with Diocese to see what they think, especially given in mind they know our financial situation, and they know that we are working very hard on how we can grow our church without money being involved (good works and all that)

I'm sure he will do, he's very good like that lord's prayer error aside , and he wants to do what's right.

Jaynebxl Fri 20-Sep-13 12:56:07

Guess it depends on what people are expecting the church to do with the money they give.

niminypiminy Fri 20-Sep-13 13:00:17

I meant that there could be time during the sermon for people to discuss what it means to live out our values, so that instead of a conventional sermon, what you have is more of a chance for people to talk to each other. This is done from time to time in churches and it could work well -- especially at getting the people who give the money involved in thinking about how it should be used, not just the PCC.

MaryBS Fri 20-Sep-13 13:00:38

Any appeals/sermons on stewardship, and the congregation switch off. I'd strike the rock twice at Massah, if I thought it would work (but not if God told me not to, LOL)

nickelbabe Fri 20-Sep-13 13:10:05

oh, we don't like question and answer sermons!

that's definitely the kind of thing to make our congregation annoyed.
plus, everyone's obsessed with finishing on time (some start work in the afternoon), and it would just annoy.

nickelbabe Fri 20-Sep-13 13:13:38

yy Jayne - i'm expecting the church to pay its Parish Share and its bills, upkeep its buildings and fixtures, and keep running. (and to sort out the heating and the toilet)
and to use money to do outreach stuff.

interestingly, we're in the middle of a sermon series on the communion service, and this week it's "giving things to god", so it'll probably be brought up in some way during that!

niminypiminy Fri 20-Sep-13 14:06:25

OK, well, it was only a thought, you know, of a trying to be constructive and helpful kind.

nickelbabe Fri 20-Sep-13 17:37:46

grin
thank you - it was a very good idea, just not one that would work for us
{hugs}

thanksamillion Sun 22-Sep-13 20:27:56

How was church everyone?

We had another baptism/harvest extravaganza, this one at a (possibly record breaking) 3.5 hours shock. It was quite a good service with a couple of surprises, not least the extra baptise(?) who walked up and joined the line!

There was a moment where no one was quite sure what to do but the Pastor in charge took charge and went ahead. All quite dramatic!

Jaynebxl Mon 23-Sep-13 06:15:10

That sounds great, Thanks.

Someone got up to share in our service something he felt God had been teaching him from an obscure verse at the end of Judges 3 about a man called Shamgar. This man defeated 600 philistines with an ox goad. The guy said that Shamgar, faced with so many enemies just did what he could where he was with what he had. I really liked that phrase, and the encouragement not to bemoan our situation or our lack of certain things, but rather to get on with what we've got where we are.

madhairday Mon 23-Sep-13 12:20:52

That sounds great thanksamillion, and Jayne I like that too, so true.

We're starting a new service on sunday, a kind of messy church but story telling based more than craft. Hope it goes well, we have lots of helpers so quite encouraged by that.

How is everyone?

Ok here, but very tired. DD3 has had 2 bad nights in a row, she's teething and has a bad cold on top, which has resulted in me being very tired.
I'm hoping she's not too much trouble for DH at home atm.

I had a good meeting with the DDO on Friday, next essay topic: priesthood... eeek!
She's given me permission to go to theological college's open days, but not to be interviewed yet, as she thinks I'm not ready for a BAP yet. sad
Ah well, it's in God's hands anyway.

thanksamillion can you tell more about the shoebox appeal? would we be able to send stuff straight to you somehow? I think it's nicer for the kids here to know where their box is going to, iyswim?

niminypiminy Mon 23-Sep-13 14:40:36

MHD sounds like a great idea for a service -- I get a bit crafted out from time to time, but always love storytelling -- also whenever we go to church craft activities it's always geared towards those kids who can do little careful circumscribed projects. Let us know how it goes!

Sorry to hear the DDO thinks you need more time before a BAP but it is much much better to spend the time preparing now than to go to a BAP and get turned down. The time I spent in the discernment process seemed endless and I fretted so much, but in retrospect it was really important to take all that time. I wouldn't have been ready without it. I grew spiritually during that time too.

I've just come back from a residential vicar-school weekend. Really intense and so much to process. But fantastic too. Now just six (count 'em!) essays to write before the next one in November!

thanksamillion Mon 23-Sep-13 15:53:41

Sounds like a great idea MHD. I've always wondered if it would be worth exploring other messy church ideas as craft doesn't suit everyone. You'll have to report back afterwards!

Blue we receive shoeboxes from Link to Hope (formerly Link Romania). Unfortunately it isn't really possible to get yours specifically sent here because it depends on when yours are collected and when our lorry is sent. It's such a hectic process at the warehouse to make sure everything is out for Christmas. However, we may get yours - you never know! And we normally distribute between 5 and 7000 so there's a fair chance grin.

If it helps I can always send you some photos of us giving out the boxes/some of our local children who receive them. Just PM me your email address and an idea of what kind of photos you're looking for.

ooh looking on their website, they don't have an area collector near us sad
I've asked for some info, to be posted, as I think there might be a few people interested in filling an elderly shoe box as well! smile

madhairday Mon 23-Sep-13 16:59:29

Yeh, we were kind of Messy Churched out, wanted to try something different. Messy Church is an amazing idea but often doesn't engage boys, but it does depend on how it's done. We're trying to do one story through various storytelling mediums: Puppets, storybags, parachutes, that kind of stuff - sort of rotate groups round the different ones then come together for reflection and songs etc etc. Will let you know how it goes! <nervous>

Blue, so sorry it is taking longer than you hoped, but agree with niminy that the time taken over discernment can be really crucial and a growing time (certainly was for us, and took 4 years in the end) God does indeed know what he is doing....it's frustrating though when you feel called and want to get on with it!

nickelbabe Mon 23-Sep-13 22:19:07

spooky mhd, t'other church did storytelling last week grin

nickelbabe Mon 23-Sep-13 22:24:00

see, there's another thing that we do! every year, we do the shoebox appeal (we do ours through Samaritan's purse though)
every year the congregation does it. and dh and I always do at least 2, and judging by the wrapping, most other people do 2 or more.

nickelbabe Mon 23-Sep-13 22:25:26

dh just said "someone should tell htc about that too"

we feel like poor people being judged by rich people. hmm

cloutiedumpling Tue 24-Sep-13 04:05:21

I can't sleep because of a cold and am feeling grumpy - I need to get enough sleep to function at work tomorrow.

MHD - that sounds really interesting and it'd be great to hear how it goes. Our church is good at attracting girls but not boys so it'd be good to get some ideas for things that engage them a bit more.

I love that the extra person joined the queue for baptism. And that story about getting on with what we have got. I'm not sure I like the sound of six essays between now and November. How do you find the time to do all the reading, let alone write them?

Sorry you are feeling judged Nickel. It is a horrible feeling. What is htc? I'm not in England so get lost sometimes with the terminology.

nickelbabe Tue 24-Sep-13 11:51:07

htc is holy trinity curate (the one who raised the issue in the PCC meeting)

madhairday Wed 25-Sep-13 08:47:22

Oooh we need a shiny new thread! Will post one in minute <tries to think of name>.....

This thread is not accepting new messages.