hideous hymns, vocal vicars and theatrical thuribles. Religious Chat Thread Number 6!

(1000 Posts)
nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:28

Welcome to the Religion Chat thread.
We're mostly Christians, but all are welcome.
a lovely soace to talk about church life, spiritual journeys and stuff in general.
It's not about debate, it's about chat.
Come oldies and newbies!

this is the previous thread

jaynebxl Wed 20-Feb-13 07:30:34

Hidden home I think that was a tough lent promise. I reckon no chocolate is infinitely easier than not wanting to choke people!

Love that quote niminy!

MaryBS Wed 20-Feb-13 08:06:41

I gave up alcohol. After a day yesterday which involved a long meeting at the school re: provision for DS, then a couple of hours at church doing the banking, then a PCC meeting lasting 2 1/2 hours, I think I did pretty well to abstain. Although it was probably because I was too tired to do anything other than go to bed!

Agree that not wanting to kill people is difficult, if not impossible. You can always promise to pray for them immediately after wanting to kill them?

niminypiminy Wed 20-Feb-13 08:52:26

Mary after that day abstaining was blimmin' saintly!

niminypiminy Wed 20-Feb-13 08:56:52

I've got to go into the dc's school this morning to meet the Ofsted inspectors, in my role as Vice-Chair of Governors. Am feeling very trepidatious about it (I know that isn't a word, but it should be). Our school is so fantastic, but because of the catchment, and too many disengaged parents, and children coming into school so far below where they should be for their age, and high pupil mobility (on average one child joins or leaves the school every week) we are unlikely to get the 'good' we deserve. It'll be disastrous if we don't. It's so, so, so unfair.

Hmm. I need to put into practice Mary's idea of praying for people after wanting to kill them wink.

MadHairDay Wed 20-Feb-13 09:41:45

ooh niminy - hope it goes well. I had to do exactly this when I was vice chair, couple of years back now, and school sounded similar too - disempowered, disengaged parents. I think Ofsted are better than they used to be at accurately reflecting how well the school is doing in the situation it's in - they look at baseline levels and value added. Hope you get a good, or even better, an outstanding smile

Talking of governing, there's a parent governor place come up at ds' school. we're wondering whether dh or I should go for it. Good for dh as community minister, but part of me would like to do it again, but am afraid of letting them down when ill. I enjoyed my role as vice chair before and was able to go into school during the days to do link governor work etc. What do you reckon?

Went to see my consultant yesterday, had an xray to check all the pneumonia gone. It looks far, far clearer - she showed me the before and after grin and there was a big difference, she said there is still some fluid there which is causing pleurisy which she could hear, explains why I am still in pain, but it's good news really. She suggested I build up fitness - I wil try, it's just dispiriting when I do and then get ill and lose it...but better to have some level than none. I'm referred to a pulmonary rehab course starting this week so that should help.

Sorry - wibbling on here.

niminypiminy Wed 20-Feb-13 10:02:30

About to go but MHD that is very good news that the pneumonia is gone smile smile

nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 13:45:08

hiddenhome - you don't "pass" or "fail" at lent - the whole point is that you put the effort in!

of course you're going to slip most people are bloody morons but it's the fact that you are making the effort not to be so judgmental and bad-thought-thinking that matters.

nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 13:50:08

I could take on everyone's daemons for them for Lent (I never "do" Lent because a) i can never think what would make the biggest difference in my life and be plausible to do, and b) because I want to try my best at stuff all year round, not just at Lent)
grin

I will eat all your chocolate, and sugar, and drink all your alcohol (wine and beer okay, Mary?) and I can even try to kill a few annoying people, too, if that helps?
grin

nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 13:55:00
nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 13:56:53

sounds promising MHD.
smile

WoollyEyedandWittering Wed 20-Feb-13 18:25:57

Ooh, ooh! I have a question for you...

Have you heard of/bought from a company called autosave.co.uk?

They sell cars, apparently to vast swathes of the clergy. Have any of you heard of them? I haven't (so am being a bit scaredy pants) but they seem to offer a very good service and I need to buy a car! They say they advertise in Christian magazines and on christian radio. None of which I read/listen to.
I will start a separate thread to see if any vicars out there are familiar with them but thought I'd try here too.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the slightly off topic, random question!

MadHairDay Wed 20-Feb-13 19:08:27

We bought a car from them yonks ago Woolly, talking 15 years or so now. It was all fine and was a good little car that served us well for a good while, we then sold it to a friend and it lasted her years. My parents also bought from them and they rated them - I don't know if they are still as good now but would have thought so. hth!

nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 20:00:07

nothing's off topic or random here!

SESthebrave Wed 20-Feb-13 21:41:53

Sorry been AWOL today. Was with Mum most of the day taking her to GP and then hospital with suspected pneumonia. She's still in and we're awaiting a proper diagnosis tomorrow. Prayers for her would be appreciated but also for family relationships with her. For various reasons, she has a bit of a reputation as the boy that cried wolf when it comes to illnesses and so we're all a bit cynical and sceptical.

nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 21:52:24

sad
[prayers]

niminypiminy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:56:06

Praying for you, SES, and for your mum

WoollyEyedandWittering Wed 20-Feb-13 21:58:55

Thanks mad hair, that is good to know thanks

I hope things are better with your mum in the morning SES.

MaryBS Wed 20-Feb-13 22:53:47

Thanks for your kind offer of taking my wine and beer (GF, the other stuff is DH's) Nickel, thankfully it will keep till after Easter!

MaryBS Thu 21-Feb-13 08:13:34

I needed a drink last night! (but didn't). Heaven save us from organising family get-togethers!

niminypiminy Thu 21-Feb-13 10:53:38

Mary, you are good. I had an absolutely horrible day yesterday (won't go into details, too raw yet), and last night had wine, Jaffa cakes a takeaway and bed, which was all I could face. But I managed to do my other Lent resolution, which is to get up an hour early to pray. It's a good thing God doesn't mind having his ear bent about our troubles smile

MaryBS Thu 21-Feb-13 14:29:28

Hope today has been better for you, Niminy. If only I were good, then there wouldn't be all these family fallings out sad

niminypiminy Thu 21-Feb-13 16:06:56

<pats Mary gently on the arm, wipes tears from own eyes, blows nose>

nickelbabe Thu 21-Feb-13 16:36:17
MadHairDay Thu 21-Feb-13 18:57:30

What have they done to it, nickel? Couldn't quite make out.

SES, hope your mum is OK.

niminy, thinking of you, hope today's been better.

Off for the weekend so won't be on much, looking forward to catching up with some old friends. smile

SESthebrave Thu 21-Feb-13 19:38:05

Hope Niminy and Mary that you've both had better days.

MHD - enjoy your weekend smile

Mum is doing ok. I don't think it's a cry wolf thing this time - she says the chest x-ray shows pneumonia. She's on oxygen and a rehydration drip with oral ABs. She was in good spirits so thank you for your prayers, visiting her wasn't as hard as I was dreading. Tomorrow DH and DS are headed off to Ireland as DH's dad has been in hospital for 5 weeks following a stroke so once I've dropped them off at the hospital, I'll go visit mum again with Dad and DD.

This thread is not accepting new messages.