hideous hymns, vocal vicars and theatrical thuribles. Religious Chat Thread Number 6!

(1000 Posts)
nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:28

Welcome to the Religion Chat thread.
We're mostly Christians, but all are welcome.
a lovely soace to talk about church life, spiritual journeys and stuff in general.
It's not about debate, it's about chat.
Come oldies and newbies!

this is the previous thread

niminypiminy Thu 18-Apr-13 13:34:53

rushing off to Ely for appt with the bishop ... this is just a thought, Uniquel, well two thoughts -- one is that I never went to activities alone that I'd previously gone to with my children, so perhaps the mums who came in think that it's not for them -- could you put on something that is specifically for adults in the shop -- a book group, perhaps? Time away from the children. My third thought is perhaps you should do something that is for you (not just the church choir) that is not the shop, and not dd. Join a secular choir maybe?

Hugs to you -- don't forget you really are unique and amazing

Hope all went well with the bishop. The whole discernment thing is such a roller coaster so I hope this is an up bit and not a down in the trough bit.

Dutchoma Thu 18-Apr-13 17:12:59

Nickel how about doing a 'nip into the shop on your way back from the school run' coffee and have a look in the shop thing. Or is that too early for you? Or a 'come and have a look in before you go home from school'?

niminy - i do have other social interests - i dance and have one friend from that, and I go to the WI, but don't really have any real social friends from that (friendly, but not friends )

I was hoping that now I have DD that i could get some mum friends.

Oma - that's a good idea. I worry that they think i only want them to come to the shop to buy.

niminypiminy Thu 18-Apr-13 18:58:17

All went well with the bishop. I've had a letter with the date of the BAP -- in November. (Also had a rather horrible letter from work, which I was expecting, but not great timing.) So I ought to feel good, he's confirmed he will be sponsoring me, and was reassuring and positive (though we didn't talk about the date -- he talked the whole time as if it was just round the corner), I just feel exhausted and weepy. sad

Jaynebxl Thu 18-Apr-13 19:10:21

Niminy was today's bishop Vicious Steve? I went to Ely to see my friend get ordained and he was there then!

niminypiminy Thu 18-Apr-13 20:18:27

No, it was Vicious David. Vicious Stephen has been very ill -- he had a ruptured appendix -- and although he's back at work he's got to take things easy. So I didn't get to see him, which is a shame because he's absolutely lovely (not that the other one isn't nice too).

Jaynebxl Thu 18-Apr-13 22:47:29

Yikes poor Vicious Steve! Everyone says he is really nice.

Brilliant news about the BAP. The paperwork can be a bit daunting so please PM me if you need any help.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

I love the idea of bishops being Viscious as they are not! We refer to our archdeacons as the velociraptors as they hunt in packs....

MaryBS Fri 19-Apr-13 11:53:28

Eek at Vicious Steve!

good week beginning everyone grin

the choir had lunch at the vicarage yesterday.
it was lovely - the sun was really warm and we mostly ate outside.
the house is massive! but lovely.

and NVW has a treadle Singer Sewing machine which was in full working order until the removal men broke the belt shock
i love her so much grin

I spent a long time with her (she was inside being in charge of food and NV was outside entertaining) - i hope i didn't put her off me too much,...

madhairday Mon 22-Apr-13 17:21:19

smile oh lovely, nickel!

Course you didn't put her off. She's happy to have a friend, believe me.

Love old Singers! My mum has one. It's beautiful.

i forgot to mention - DD has a new word - Amen!
grin
at the end of the service on sunday, NV said the closing doxology, and we all said Amen, and she looked very stern, and went "aaaahmm"
then he did the dismissal and we said amen and she looked stern again and went "aaaahmm"

msot definite word and most definitely Amen.

grin

Jaynebxl Wed 24-Apr-13 14:38:06

Sweet! How old is she?

16mo.

we've been desperate for her to say it for months and months (we were convinced it would be her first word wink )

niminypiminy Wed 24-Apr-13 15:27:19

Awwww that is so lovely!

DS2's first word was 'book'. My first word, by contrast, was 'no'.

Really glad to hear that you and NVW are hitting it off.

book! DD's should have been book! shock

DD says the very French "non!"
grin

anyone around today? smile

MaryBS Sat 27-Apr-13 14:40:29

<waves>

grin

just waiting for the latest mag to be proofread grin

i had rather a lot of content this time round! including some stuff from the new vicar.

MaryBS Sat 27-Apr-13 14:52:19

Looking forward to reading it!

Hello - I'm stuffing learning outcomes into reflections which is what ongoing training in the C of E is all about. It is very dull and I may be forced to do the ironing for a bit of light relief. I'd much rather be doing ministry than evidencing that I can do it hmm

To make things worse I'm thinking about doing further study, a Masters this time, but all this mucking around with fiddling cross referencing reminds me how fiddley I find academic referencing so maybe just sticking with what I have is ok.

niminypiminy Sat 27-Apr-13 17:23:10

Hello all! I'm recovering from falling downstairs onto my face as I was about to leave work on Wednesday -- I've got very bruised legs, and an extremely scary hitler-moustache style scab where a huge tear on my lip was stitched. I haven't been good for very much in the last couple of days, so I've been getting on with the baby blanket for my sister's partner's baby. It's due in only a month now and the blanket is still only half done, eek! Still at least I have had an excuse to sit and do little else but knit for a couple of days. (Should have been doing my BAP form but couldn't face it in the aftermath of fall, A&E, having to spend night away from home, etc)

What MA are you thinking of doing, Greenheart?

OW!!!! sad

poor you sad
flowers

niminypiminy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:00:21

Thanks. It was really horrible -- I am incredibly thankful that I fell onto carpet though, I dread to think what would have happened if I'd fallen onto hard floor.

And after the whole A&E experience I'm even less likely than I was before to have Botox or fillers or anything like that. Needles in your lips -- no, no, no!

This thread is not accepting new messages.