hideous hymns, vocal vicars and theatrical thuribles. Religious Chat Thread Number 6!

(1000 Posts)
nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:28

Welcome to the Religion Chat thread.
We're mostly Christians, but all are welcome.
a lovely soace to talk about church life, spiritual journeys and stuff in general.
It's not about debate, it's about chat.
Come oldies and newbies!

this is the previous thread

Tuo Tue 26-Mar-13 20:57:13

(((niminy))) - more anon...

Mary - I love you! Mwah!

[repeats to self] kit (=shorthand for all that stuff you said) - flagons - lavabo; kit - flagons - lavabo; kit - flagons - lavabo... Got it! Offertory is covered by crucifer, so that's one less thing to worry about. I will report back on Thursday p.m. and let you know how it goes.

On Sunday, our new altar was consecrated and the Bishop was very generous with the oil of chrism and incense and the smell was amazing...! I was thinking 'Mary should be here; she'd love this!'.

Love and prayers to everyone having a tough time atm. thanks

Nimmy - I'm really sorry to hear this. It is really hard not to take it personally but it isn't about your calling, just the process which just seems to grind far too slowly.

(((((((()))))))))

hey! I would have loved it too.

dh is asthmatic and incense sets him off, so I'm not even allowed to wish for incense at church sad
it's almost enough to make me want to LTB.

Ninny sorry to hear about the bap. Has it been a long journey for you?

niminypiminy Tue 26-Mar-13 22:36:22

<teary eyes> you're all lovely <sniff>

Am beginning to feel a bit better. One more year won't make that much difference out of my entire life. And I'm sure when I look back on it I'll see God's fingerprints all over it.

Praying for you MHD, and feeling blessed to have you lot as friends.

MaryBS Brazil Wed 27-Mar-13 07:36:52

Thats horrible niminy sad

grin re: incense, I may light some at home later grin

niminypiminy Wed 27-Mar-13 10:14:48

Re incense: thought I might go to Little St Mary's in Cambridge one day this week. It's incense central there (but freezing) smile

thegreatestMadHairDayinhistory Wed 27-Mar-13 11:07:01

Wish I could cope with incense, I like the thought of it this time of year. Was going to go to a stripping the altar thing tomorrow but too bloody ill again.

niminy, keeping sending hugs and prayers. God has the right timing for you - when dh didn't get through his first bap we were so bewildered and upset, questioning our calling etc...but looking back it was totally right in several ways.

Have the most hideous pleurisy. not coping with it, pain is too much, had enough

niminy so sorry! Hopefully we'll bump into each other at our BAPs next year!

niminypiminy Wed 27-Mar-13 14:25:58

MHD (((((((())))))))) (except that you're probably in too much pain for hugs with pleurisy) and love and prayers

thanksamillion Wed 27-Mar-13 17:32:14

Hugs and prayers all round! I am lurking if not posting and you are all in my prayers. Sorry everyone seems to be having a tough time of it. Hopefully celebrating Easter will be like a salve to at least some of the hurts.

It isn't Easter here yet sad. For presumably cultural reasons the protestant church here celebrates Easter according to the Orthodox calendar hmm so this year we have to wait until May!

We're gearing up for our first team to come next week and I'm trying to work out the logistics of 6 adult visitors plus us 5 in our two bed house. Plus what I'm going to feed them all. It will be cosy grin

Tuo Thu 28-Mar-13 13:00:49

Hello all... That was a lovely service. And luckily there wasn't a lot for us servers to do as the Eucharist part was very simple and everything was already on the altar at the start of the service, so the job consisted mostly of a little light processing and a bit of tidying up afterwards. The clergy (I mean, the cathedral clergy, plus the Bishop's chaplain, not those who were just visiting) had all the practicalities (topping up of supplies etc.) covered anyway and there was nothing to be done with the oil, which was just brought up by three deacons and blessed by the Bishop. I was a bit panicky beforehand, but it was a doddle in the end. Phew!

MHD - how are you feeling? Praying that you feel better very soon.

Hope it all goes well for you next week, Millie... it'll be a squash, but should be fun.

I'm back from a lovely Chrism Mass - superb singing from the cathedral choir and a short sermon from the bishop. I couldn't stay for the sandwiches and soup that were laid on for afterwards as I had to get back for a funeral but it all looked very good. Now for the holy week marathon of services....

niminypiminy Thu 28-Mar-13 17:48:37

Nickel the books have arrived! Thank you thank you!

thegreatestMadHairDayinhistory Thu 28-Mar-13 19:43:29

Thankyou for the hugs and prayers everyone. Still in pain and grotty, but feel better in myself, decided this morning that instead of letting myself get weighed down by my sadness about not being able to join in Easter again I would blog about it to help others who are unable to get out for whatever reason. If this would help anyone feel free to pm me for a link smile Although most of you are on my fb I think.

milly, can't believe you have to wait until May!

niminypiminy Thu 28-Mar-13 20:54:41

Just back from our church Passover meal, which was mostly lovely -- except that we had to sing Servant King, my least favourite GK . Yeuch!

We sang Servant King too!
Exciting prospects here... My contract finishes here in October, and they have started way too late to apply for funding to keep the post on, so no certainty for me, hence I started applying for jobs. And first one I applied for I have been invited for interview it's a 1 year contract so would be ideal if I was to start college next year! smile

plaingirly Fri 29-Mar-13 10:16:50

Just started reading In His Steps and the film is on over the weekend! Perfect timing. Really enjoying the book so far!

Dutchoma Netherlands Fri 29-Mar-13 10:17:45

That's very exciting Blue. We had Servant King as well as Meekness and Majesty.

niminy so glad smile
I was panicking that Easter one wouldn't be here in time!

yeah, i was at dance last night, but DH took DD to the communion service at St Mary's and he said it was nice. oh, that's why i was mentioning it - modern music "plenty of GK" he said.

Dutchoma Netherlands Fri 29-Mar-13 12:52:30

Does he like it Nickel?

thegreatestMadHairDayinhistory Fri 29-Mar-13 12:55:27

That's exciting, Blue! Praying for it to happen if it is right for you smile

The Servant King - meh. It's far too overdone and has been so for the past 28 years or thereabouts <showing age> Good words still though.

curryeater Fri 29-Mar-13 21:40:27

Hello

sorry to crash in like this, just wondered if it would be ok to chat here about holy week and some strange feelings.
I think I might be doing it wrong because it just feels awful.
I was very tired last night at the Maundy Thursday service and basically sobbed through the psalm (I am in the choir)
Was destroyed after the service today.
I know it is supposed to be sad but I am drained, snapping at everyone, dp did not go out on a rare night out tonight because he thought I was not fit to be left with dcs, too distraught

it is not supposed to be like this surely? During the services it felt important and cathartic but is is surely selfish and wrong to get so wrapped up and drained by it all that you are bad for your family

there is a part of me that thinks I should avoid it all, commit less to the church, maybe leave choir which also takes up a lot of time away from my family, and lead a lighter and more superficial life that would leave me more functional

what do you think?
does anyone else get this?

thankyou for reading, sorry to barge in

hiddenhome Fri 29-Mar-13 22:00:14

Do you normally feel like this curryeater, or has it just been this week? I do think that Easter can be a very emotional time and there's nothing wrong with that, it helps you to focus and deepen your faith.

Alternatively, could you be starting with a virus or have pms? Try to get plenty of rest and recharge your batteries next week perhaps.

This thread is not accepting new messages.