First Communion fashion advice needed.

(111 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sat 09-Feb-13 18:23:34

Are silver shoes (for DD, not me!) a massive no...

...and what is your DD wearing in her hair/on her head?

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 26-Apr-13 08:20:18

Ordered some invites from vistaprint yesterday. Had got a lovely simple one all sorted when dp shrieked in horror it looked like a funeral mass card. angry (it didn't, at all, it just wasn't all OTT blowsy-flowery-gushy like most of them. After chuntering loudly we have gone for OTT blowsy and flowery. Chuh.)

grin

lpa Sat 27-Apr-13 09:30:41

Thanks for the suggestions on here - going shopping for her dress today and hopefully will find the £5.99 shoes at H&M. And the communion's in 2 weeks, and have a multitude of relatives and friends coming for lunch afterwards!
Thought of making my usual easy fruit Christmas cake, icing and then make a fondant cross on the top, but will look at Bible cakes after the ideas on here.
Getting small silver boxes for a slice of cake as a giveaway to all, and MIL has made tiny satin flowers to go on the top.
Now need ideas for the food, actually snacks really, DH is insisting on a caterer for lunch, and something to keep 15 children occupied - from 2-15 years.

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 27-Apr-13 09:40:41

My lot, in true Italian style have all fallen out. <rolls eyes> We were having the do at sister's country house, but brother has said he won't go to sister's as they did him wrong years back over some financial shenanigans. Now the plan is to do it at Ma's country house, except of course sister will now fall out with everyone and won't come.

Anther normal family day in the NotTreading household. God love em. grin

wigglesrock Sat 27-Apr-13 14:17:24

NotTreadingGrapes smile Mind you I'm from Belfast - we're the best at grudges wink

The Irish are as bad ntg.

My mother hasn't spoken to my uncle in almost 15 years. They live two miles from each other!

wigglesrock Sun 28-Apr-13 07:16:23

SummerRainIsA......... Hope today goes well smile

Thanks wiggle.... We've been up since 6.30 shock

All going smoothly so far and dp is holding up ok.

I went to my friends house last night to set up for today and she had everything done already so I'm having an easy time of it really grin

Sorry, that made no sense as I hadn't posted it on here, dps dad passed on Friday night sad

Dp seems to be ok though, he's glad he got there for the end and one of the last things fil said was he should go and enjoy this day with dd so he's not feeling guilt at not staying down with his family for the weekend.

wigglesrock Sun 28-Apr-13 08:47:55

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it was all a bit complicated (dont worry I'm not stalking you, I recognised your name on a different thread ) Anyway hope it's a great day, am sure your dd will be beautiful.

NotTreadingGrapes Sun 28-Apr-13 11:16:15

Oh no. Sorry to hear that Summer. Love to you all. xx

Hope everything is going well today and look forward to hearing all about it, frockery and all!

Thanks wiggles, don't worry... I recognised you from the other thread too smile

Ntg, thank you too. It was a lovely day despite the circumstances. Dd was gorgeous and did so well at the service. It was beautiful, there were 10 of them and they all had readings. Dd brought the gifts up too. Then the priest called them up one by one to present them with a badge to wear to mass and a rose bush. After that they all stood at the alter with him for the whole communion rite, they came down to their families to give the sign of the peace and went back up to him. When it was time for communion they came down one by one and brought their families up and received communion with their whole family (or blessing in the case of my non catholic father and two younger children)

Then tea and cake in the village hall hosted by last years communion parents where we presented the priest and their teacher with cards and flowers.

After that we went to dds best friends house for their joint party, they had a blast. Weather was a bit miserable but the kids didn't seem bothered. We're just home now, the party is probably going to go on til the wee hours but our kids were exhausted and cranky so with that and dp obviously struggling to maintain his happy face we called it a day.

Dd was gorgeous, I'll post a pic tomorrow, too wrecked to haul the laptop out now.

And for those who remember... The traveller family was every bit as entertaining as we'd hoped wink Think gypsy weddings and you have it. Hummer, mahoosive dress, giant tiara, fake tan, hours of photography, skirt so big the child couldn't sit down, make up, crystal studded everything. grin

wigglesrock Mon 29-Apr-13 10:41:03

Glad it all went well :-) Will be thinking of you this week, hope funeral goes as well as it can.

Let us know when you post a pic, I'm not even going to hide my nosinessgrin

Pendipidy Mon 29-Apr-13 11:26:23

Pics up smile

NotTreadingGrapes Mon 29-Apr-13 15:03:10

Oh, lovely Summer! Dd looks so sophisticated and proud! smile

My dd's frockery arrived today, and it all fits perfectly. My own white skinnies arrived however and are so thin and hideous you would see my pants! So off to Boden I go (where I should have gone in the first place tbh) and whack the see through ones on ebay!

Your DD looks beautiful Summer as do the rest of you. smile

Thank you both smile

wigglesrock Mon 29-Apr-13 18:57:41

Beautiful photos, beautiful beautiful dd. You all look lovely.

Ps If anyone is looking I got a plain white cardigan for dd1 (I have 3 dds, I have to do this 3 times grin) in M&S today. Its completely plain, none of this strange inside out seams that seems to be all the rage.

AngiBolen Mon 29-Apr-13 21:17:30

Lovely photos, SummerRainIsADistantMemory! smile

Glad it all went well.

Just beautiful!

My ds made his yesterday. He had a lovely wee suit, a purple shirt & tie & a pair of purple converse (the trousers covered a good bit of these though!)

We'd everyone back here & he had ice-cream cake! We made pasta salad, rice, potato salad, chicken, cooked ham, lasagne, breads, cheeses etc and goujons/ sausages/garlic bread for the kids.

Bouncy castle in our yard and for the hard core ones, toasties @ 11pm last night!!!

Irish so no wine except for mil wink

Congrats to your ds fairhaired grin

Was at mass with dd this morning and she and the other communion kids were grinning at each other like loons going up to receive grin was lovely to see

Thank you! We were out this morning too, only 3 others from his class were there though, all in their wee rigouts from yesterday too smile

I just wore my jeans wink

LynetteScavo Sun 05-May-13 19:19:45

Congratulations to your DS Fairhaired!

Re the H&M shoes - I mangaged to buy a pair yesterday....did any of you need to put elastic on them? DD can't walk in slip-ons, os I'm going to have to put elastic/ribbon on them...just wondering about the best way to do it.

Who knew white shoes could be so difficult?

wigglesrock Sun 05-May-13 21:31:36

FairheadedandFrustrated congratulation to your son. All the boys in my dds class are wearing converse, dd is jealous smile

My dd is fine in slip ons, she has a few dozen pairs from H&M
Sorry not much help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now