American evangelical theology question...

(8 Posts)
nightlurker Sat 02-Feb-13 18:16:36

Looked at the vision forum's About Us, and it makes perfect sense. More and more children are being born out of wedlock here in the US, and that has huge implications on those children and on society.

I suspect a significant contributor has been entertainment, and what has portrayed as "normal" over the last few decades. If this movement's goal is to reduce sexuality outside of marriage, discourage violence, disturbing mindsets, and sexuality in entertainment, and overall foster honesty and personal charity, I'm all in favor.

If it's about theocracy (which I don't think it is) I'm quite vehemently opposed.

KayHarker Sat 02-Feb-13 09:42:45

If you mean Vision Forum, there is a website which could be useful to you.

nightlurker Fri 01-Feb-13 23:26:30

I'm American and haven't heard about this aside from here (or maybe I have and am just oblivious to it).

I'll have to go look it up and maybe I can give more insight.

blackeyedsusan England Tue 29-Jan-13 19:34:52

you see, now yyourr second post raaises the question of premilleniual/postmillenial/amillenialism

<runs>

Evening theologian checking in but this does seem to be an American phenomena so I can't be much help. Sorry. From a quick shuftie around the net it does look like an extreeme version of Biblical literalism where Revelation is read as a road map rather than a coded letter to the churches at a time of persecution but the American context is often pretty difficult for non Americans to get to grips with. You say tomato I say tomato etc etc.

timetosmile Thu 10-Jan-13 19:49:31

hopeful bump for the evening theologians if you haven't all been raptured..

KayHarker Thu 10-Jan-13 11:54:46

I don't know of anything like that - like you I've only found for or against extremes.

timetosmile Thu 10-Jan-13 11:37:07

..a bit technical, I know...
Reengaging my brain after several years of nappy chaging and play-dough, I've become increasingly aware of a lot of Dominionism and quite militaristic sounding prophetic stuff coming from America ..like Reclaim 7mountains, 'claiming your workplace for Christ' heavy with apocalyptic language and symbolism etc etc.
Either this will make no sense to you whatsoever or you will know what I'm on about grin
To me some of it sounds a thoughful intergration of faith and work, while other stuff sounds incredibly bizarre. I can only find websites which are either very enthusiastic or rabidly against it!
Can anyone point me in the direction of a sober minded critique of this strand of contemporary Christian thought which seems to be more prevelant here than it used to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now