baptism - what the children to wear??

(9 Posts)
lilibet Sat 05-Jan-13 16:03:39

I think it depends on the church, white isn't essential at all churches. Is it only RC and high church Anglican that annoint? I'm low C of E and I know that we never have.

One of the things I do is go and visit families before they come for baptism and
if anyone asks this, I would say that something you can get plenty wear out of rather than something to be worn just the once.

I had my youngest baptised at the same service that our vicar baptised his own triplets and all the children wore nice 'every day' clothes if you know what I mean.

Ask at the church what children usually wear.

Amerryscot Fri 04-Jan-13 15:49:07

They can wear "street clothes".

ReallyTired Thu 03-Jan-13 19:01:24

I think you should ask the older children what they want to wear. The girls could wear nice party frocks and the baby could wear something more traditional.

I hope you have a lovely day. My dd was baptised at three and half years old and she wore a satin white bridesmaids dress.

biglips Thu 27-Dec-12 21:26:20

Thanks everyone as ive got the idea now :-)

judefawley Wed 26-Dec-12 13:39:29

Mine were baptised as tiny babies so wore family christening gown.

I wouldn't bother with white outfits once they're non babies, as long as they each have something white (shawl) for the relevant bit of the service, after the anointing.

TuoComeLetUsAdoreHim Wed 26-Dec-12 13:33:22

My dd was baptised and confirmed in May. She wore a cream dress and cardigan (it's freezing in our church!), which was fine. Others wore party-type dresses, mostly (but not exclusively) in pale-ish pastel colours. White isn't necessary. I'd get something they can wear again, at least for the older ones - white isn't very practical either!

Congratulations to all three of them - hope you have a wonderful day.

sashh Tue 25-Dec-12 04:46:46

My friend's daughter was about 3, she had a white dress similar to a bridesmaid dress.

The older boy (the church baptised about 10 in one service) wore a suit.

I think something smart is all that's needed. How would you dress them to go to a wedding?

meditrina Mon 24-Dec-12 12:37:01

I'd put the youngest in a traditional Christening robe, and the older girls in pretty traditional clothes: (off)white dresses if you like, but I think other colours (especially pastels) and discreet patterns would be fine too.

biglips Mon 24-Dec-12 09:38:06

my 3 children are getting baptised next month. They are 2 girls - age 8 and 4 and one boy - age 7 months.

Is it all satin white for all the children??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now