Just curious - how many muslims are on mumsnet?

(998 Posts)
Galvanise Sat 01-Dec-12 00:21:53

Hello/Salaam,

I know mumsnet has a wide and diverse population and I tend to recognise some MN usernames as regulars. Just intrigued to know how big/small a community it may be.

Of course, I respect that there may be those who do not wish to even identify themselves for various reasons - which is fine too.

I am not asking for 'religiousness' levels or any vital stats! Nor is this a muslim-only thread or an 'no non-muslims' thread.
If you really wish to tell me that you are not a muslim, that is fine too smile

<Waves enthusiastically to all muslims and non-muslims> smile

fuzzywuzzy Fri 25-Jan-13 15:18:15

Mabrook crescent, May Allah grant you success.

Waynetta, Shahih hadith are only classified as such if the chain of narration consists of known trustworthy honest individuals all having known one another the main being a companion of the prophet (SAW).

I've never heard the pus one!

Wives have huge rights over their husbands, a husband in the mould of the prophet (saw) would be one who would inspire so much love that one would naturally hold him in the highest esteem.

fuzzywuzzy Fri 25-Jan-13 15:32:28

The Quran was written down during the lifetime of the Prophet (saw), but Umar (RA) gathered it together and compiled it one volume, first ensuring that the hufadz agreed it.

crescentmoon Fri 25-Jan-13 15:56:29

so, to break crescentmoon's ego....

i hope that the majority assume im lying or exaggerating over my last post!

and that you assume im not really as practising as i make out!

i am certainly very very low in knowledge - im just passing on what i hear not what im qualified in!

and please take me as someone who hides behind the computer screen but actually has no life!

just to keep things sincere on my part here on in!

crescentmoon Fri 25-Jan-13 16:21:57

yes fuzzy iv never heard that hadith either waynetta and iv read LOTS of books on marriage, salafi too! the ones that drone on and on about a mans rights on his wife but iv never EVER read such a thing.

when i married DH i was really idealistic and thought il be the khadijah to his muhammad (pbuh). but then i soon realised this man of mine is as unlikely to embody the nabi (saws) as i am to emulate khadijah! wink consequently, i followed Allah's words where the Qur'an says

'and do not throw yourselves into destruction' (Surah 2, Verse 195)

and did a complete 360!

nailak Fri 25-Jan-13 17:35:49

I have heard that hadith, its just one of those things innit, I dont know the situation it was said in, who it was said to and why etc,

we could always do a mumsnet khatam....

if this is supposed to be a general prayer thread? lol

fuzzywuzzy Fri 25-Jan-13 17:53:24

It's an analogy trying to impress the importance of a husband in the family.

But it would be of a husband who really fulfilled all the rights of his family.

Years ago when I was married, I sought mediation from a family friend. Ex started banging on and on about his rights. The person listened for a while then remarked rather mildly, if we concentrate on fulfilling the rights others have over us we would be better off. Allah is not going to ask you whether your wife fulfilled your rights.
He was too stupid to get it.

Gve me a husband who lives up to the Islamic ideals, no one will need to tell me the respect and love such a person deserves. He'll have earned it.

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 25-Jan-13 18:36:14

Crescentmoon, congrats on your job interviews, why did you remove the post, it's great to hear good news!

Ninjaforever Fri 25-Jan-13 22:14:02

Salam all- newbie here. Mum of 3 from ilford.

nailak Fri 25-Jan-13 23:00:05

wasalaam ninja nice to have you here! you love near me!

Galvanise Sat 26-Jan-13 02:08:45

Salaam all!

I nearly fell off my chair when i realised how far this thread has come along! I have sat and read all 24 pages and it has taken me hours!

Love the fact that this thread hasnt turned into a sufi vs salafi/wahabi thing and that admittedly, i am (very loosely - like if you generalise) in one of those camps myself!

Also love the fact that discussions on here have remained calm and intelligent. It has stayed the way one muslim would interact with another muslim in REAL LIFE - ie: not a venom spouting thread!

Yes, this is exactly why islam is great. Even if you do not agree with the next person, Islam reminds you to be kind and fulfill your brother/sister's rights.

Great questions, great answers, great perspectives people! Great for my own learning!

smile

Really must sleep now!

Ninjaforever Sat 26-Jan-13 07:05:56

Nailak whereabts are you ? I've been a regular on a certain other parenting site for years but its been totally dead in recent times .

Brief intro everyone ? I'll go first coming upto 8 years of marriage, 3 kids aged 7,3.5 and 3 months. A recent niqabi hence the nickname . I'm 27 and lived in ilford for abt 3 years.

Ninjaforever Sat 26-Jan-13 07:08:11

grin just testing out the emoticons etc
hello

crescentmoon Sat 26-Jan-13 10:04:07

salam alaikum ninjaforever. yesterday i was considering niqab just because it was absolutely FREEZING - i dont know how people cope who dont cover their ears grin i would have wrapped up my whole FACE but my hijab didnt have enough fabric!

im very paranoid about the cold though because my dc get coughs and colds quite quickly - i make them wear about 5 layers starting from september until about March time! some of my childrens friends though go out in the cold with a t shirt or jumper, played in the snow in shorts, and it makes me marvel and say in my head Subhanallah! (glory be to God!).

salams hardly i thought i should just have put in a request to make dua for me. i havent needed to say the dua of Musa (Moses) for a long time but iv added it to my preparation as well now!

"Rabbi Ishrah Li Sadry, Wayassir Li Amry, Wahlul ‘Uqdatan Min Lisany, yafqahu Qawly."

"O my Lord! expand for me my breast; Ease my task for me; And remove the impediment from my speech, So they may understand what I say” (20:25-28)

iv got guests this weekend which i really didnt need though! cleaning house today - DH is working until late BAH! - and then cooking tomorrow. i tried to trick myself into thinking they were coming today so that i would start cleaning yesterday but my leave it to the last minute nafs wasnt buying it! il probably be reading but not posting sisters. any delicious main course vegetarian meal ideas? this is maybe the only muslim family we have ever known that doesnt eat meat! i know humble veg ideas but not anything that can replace the scale of lamb roast.

crescentmoon Sat 26-Jan-13 10:31:11

So glad your back galvanise May Allah bless you for starting this thread!

Ninjaforever Sat 26-Jan-13 11:24:27

Salam and good morning, beautiful day- * crescent* I sometimes make a veg rice daal mixture which is nice as a main but a but plain without a meat accompaniment of some sort? Do they eat fish? Some fish cakes might work with it and fried aubergines fritters etc?

I absolutely hate cooking hence never keen on having guests over. Wouldn't be so bad if I was one of those ppl who cold cook with their eyes closed- I'm the opposite , take hours to do it and then it never tastes nice . Though Alhamdulilah( thanks to Allah/ God) there has been a vast improvement over the years trial and error I think lol.

Dh has invited our next door neighbour for Iftar after encouraging him to fast with him ( 13-15th of month as is sunnah - acts done by the beloved prophet Muhammad peace be upon him). Anyway doesn't matter that its just one person because you still have to go to the effort if making various stuff. I was annoyed in reality wish I could've been more patient and just thought if the reward of feeding the fasting but I feel like I've already nullified it by my attitude asthagfirullah mag Allah forgive me.

I've only recently become or trying to become proper practising , yes I've been praying the 5 prayers etc since my early teens but actually what is Islam and the history only in recent times. There's so much to know. May Allah increase all of our knowledge and imaan ( faith) ameen.

BlueOrange Sat 26-Jan-13 18:16:10

Salaam,

Another muslim here. Joined today!! smile

Hope everyone is well Inshallah

fuzzywuzzy Sat 26-Jan-13 18:22:54

I came across this about milad nabi.

Assalamualailum to everyone.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 26-Jan-13 18:27:04

Assalamualaikum I meant!

Ninja, could you not cheat a bit and pick some stuff up form the local take away?

Make a main meal add the fancy snacky type dishes form your local halal take away?

Too late now obviously as they've broken fast, but for next time perhaps?

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 26-Jan-13 20:54:48

Asalam u alikum Ninja and BlueOrange, and Galvanise, really glad you are pleased with the development of your thread!
Crescent and Ninja hope that your various cooking commitments went well.
Ninja I sooo sympathise. I can cook really nice stuff when it'sjust me and DH but it always seems to go wrong when we have people over!

I had a new idea (brain does still work sometimes!), that we could all give our 3 top recommended Islamic books. We would probably end up with a very eclectic (may not have spelt that right) reading list. I will start. I'm excluding the holy Qur'an, hadith collections and fiqh books, assuming these are staples.
Mine are:

Purification of the heart by Hamza Yusuf
http://www.amazon.com/Purification-Heart-Symptoms-Spiritual-Diseases/dp/1929694156
I remember giving this to a friend who had been saying she needed to read something a bit spiritual but she didn't really know what, after reading it she said that she thought if she went through life reading the Quran and this book, that would be enough. It goes through all the maladies of the heart, envy, jelousy etc, and gives you the spiritual cure. So for example the cure for envy is to pray for the person you're envious of.

Muhammad (pbuh) by Martin Lings
http://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Life-Based-Earliest-Sources/dp/1594771537/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359233155&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+lings
I have just reread this, and it's just such a lovely, easy to read seerah. It really takes you right back to that time, and have been thinking I will reread it again before making Hajj inshAllah, if Allah permits me to go, as it makes you feel such a strong connection to Mecca, Medina and the surrounding areas.

Sea without Shore by Nuh ha mim Keller
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Without-Shore-Manual-Sufi/dp/1590080661/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359233313&sr=1-1&keywords=sea+without+shore
This is designed as a manual of the Sufi path, but for anyone it is a fascinating insight into this world. The book starts with biographies of some shayukh that have lived very recently, and it's amazing to think that people like this still exist. What gave me comfort was that are not painted as perfect people, but they made mistakes, changed their minds about things,etc etc, yet they still ultimately achieved a high spiritual state.

Ninjaforever Sat 26-Jan-13 21:28:59

Yeah cheatings all good. I usually do that anyway lol but buy frozen fryables road tested prior to see if they taste good. The only brand of frozen Asian food I can stomach is Lola's . Their sheesh kebabs, samosas etc are not half bad.

Salams blue orange, give us a quick intro.

Fuzzy , I agree with your link. I find its mainly the Pakistani community that celebrate it ( personally I only ever heard of this just a few days ago) but channels like geo , noor tv which are Urdu I believe have special shows on for mawlid and adverts with local mawlid events.

Ninjaforever Sat 26-Jan-13 21:34:20

Didn't see your post hardlyeverhoovers ( hope that's not true lol).
Jazakallah khair for the recommendations. I'm soooo bad I start books then never finish.
Will recommend if I actually finish one!!

littleducks Sat 26-Jan-13 22:01:41

DS was at madressa today, came out all keen to tell me about the Prophet (saw) which had been the topic. Apparently the Prophet liked toffee, I suggested perhaps he meant dates confused but he was adament it was toffee. In fact as a gift the teacher had given all the children some to help them remember (they have an EYFS type curiculum, learning through play and experiences). So we looked in his bookbag to discover a minature pot of...........honey grin.

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 26-Jan-13 22:05:51

def not just Pakistani community that celebrate mawlid, it's done all over the world.

crescentmoon Sat 26-Jan-13 22:12:37

salams sisters, was reading about nimrod this afternoon, he's mentioned in the video clip by sheikh sharaawi, and found this from a jewish tafseer:

"He [Abraham] was given over to Nimrod. [Nimrod] told him: Worship the Fire! Abraham said to him: Shall I then worship the water, which puts off the fire! Nimrod told him: Worship the water! [Abraham] said to him: If so, shall I worship the cloud, which carries the water? [Nimrod] told him: Worship the cloud! [Abraham] said to him: If so, shall I worship the wind, which scatters the clouds? [Nimrod] said to him: Worship the wind! [Abraham] said to him: And shall we worship the human, who withstands the wind? Said [Nimrod] to him: You pile words upon words, I bow to none but the fire - in it shall I throw you, and let the God to whom you bow come and save you from it!"

from here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod

i found it really interesting and talked about it with dc. "can Allah be ...fire?"

crescentmoon Sat 26-Jan-13 22:16:54

spent the day cleaning but everytime i turned my back ds2 was behind me making a mess i kid you not! that little boy survived this day only by the grace of God! as for tomorrow cant wait.

really loved Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's book hardly, even my relative who is abit, shall we say, hostile, found that book very good and beneficial mashaallah. i have martin ling's 'Muhammad', sheikh hamza yusuf also does a great series of lectures based on his book.

good night sisters, jazakhallah for the tip ninja, im going 'jamie oliver' (anglo!) tomorrow instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now