Pagan chants

(7 Posts)

I find the chants quite relaxing, there are some dirgey ones, but most are good.

RedMolly Thu 29-Nov-12 11:59:37

That's quite a strong reaction! I have a lot of happy associations with it which is probably why i still like it. I love the meditative quality of chants. More recently i've been listening to a lot of kirtan - i especially like Durga Pahimam by Jai Uttal, a mantra to Mother Durga, which i'm using a lot to wind down after yoga.

The Museum of Witchcraft sells a CD with chants on it.

Personally I find most pagan chants depressing and dirge-like, and "We all come from the Goddess" makes me want to do terrible things to whomever is brave enough to start it in my company.

RedMolly Mon 26-Nov-12 17:37:20

Found this link to Prana (there's a few bands with the same name) - not the recording i've got but sure it is in the same sort of thing

www.earthheartmusic.com/shop.htm

Glad i'm not the only one who still has a stash of tapes!

grin I've got an old tape of Pagan chants somewhere, it was recorded for me though, so no idea who it is by. Shall look up Prana see if there are any MP3s/CDs

RedMolly Mon 26-Nov-12 12:39:43

My favourite is an old tape (really) i have by Prana. Don't think it is available any more though. Has The Earth is our Mother, Fly Like an Eagle, We all come from the Goddess, and such like. I'm a bit prone to singing them while out walking the dog, which does little to dispel my mad woman at the edge of the village reputation!

I've discovered that DS falls asleep easier if I sing to him, and I'm awful at remembering nursery rhymes. But I've recently realised that it is so easy for me to sing pagan chants to him instead, means I can keep the singing up for longer, plus it soothes me too. It's giving me a great opportunity to meditate as well!

Mostly I'm singing "the river is flowing", and "lady spin your circle bright". Was wondering what ones you like? And if you know of any good musicians who perform chants? I've recently discovered Lindie Lila who I'm really enjoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now